Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
good bike for a tall and heavy guy?
freakkk
post Sep 25 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,255

hi all im looking for a bmx bike that would be good for a tall n heavy guy like my self im 6ft 220 i have a gt performer that i was riding and the part where the seat goes in bent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) i need something that can hold me any suggestions would be great thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Sep 25 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

Any newer, chromoly frame should do the trick. Just buy a new frame, then swap your parts over.

+Quote Post
GBOSS
post Oct 23 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Intermediate

Member No.: 34,028

Anything U.S.A. made would be good for US Big guys. Not that Japan Cheaper struff that kids ride now days. That stuff brakes all the time,just look on youtube and you see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
upsetbmx
post Jan 10 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 4,948

QUOTE (freakkk @ Sep 25 2011, 11:29 PM) *
hi all im looking for a bmx bike that would be good for a tall n heavy guy like my self im 6ft 220 i have a gt performer that i was riding and the part where the seat goes in bent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) i need something that can hold me any suggestions would be great thanks

i'm 6'1" / 195.

i think you might have more fun and ride better on a 24". i'm not saying this because i have a bias--i'm just going by what i've observed. i've noticed a lot of guys who are older/taller/bigger/getting-back-into-it/whatever end up having a better time on bigger wheels.

the bike is more stable, roll over bumps easier, therefore you maintain speed/momentum. not to mention they actually fit a tall person better. less hunching over.

here, i'm riding a Liquid Feedback 24". anyone who says you can't do tricks or ride park on 24" wheels simply hasn't tried it.

(IMG:http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/upsetbmx/cmc-Liquid-manual2.jpg)

this is my friend Buddy riding a Volume Sledgehammer 26". so yeah, you can ride 26"s to jump too.

(IMG:http://cruiserrevolution.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/buddy-big-texas-table.jpg)

also check out the Jon Faure video about the Sunday Model C.

check out cruiserrevolution.com

This post has been edited by upsetbmx: Jan 10 2012, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post
Master Jim
post Jan 10 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #5

Intermediate

Member No.: 10,118

For BMX I had for a while a Robinson Amtrak. That was long and fit me easily (I'm 6'2" tall) plus it is a USA made steel frame. Used by the pro racers, mine was a 93. (Avoid the newer bikes with this name- those are aluminum and nothing like the older ones)

For freestyle, I'd suggest a RL-20II. That thing felt like a truck to me. I always wanted one, and once I finally had it, I liked my old Master that much more. A Haro Sport might be OK for you as well, but the RL is a bigger feeling bike overall.

And the suggestion of a 24 or 26 is not a bad one either! Get an old hard tail frame, add some forks and you are ready to rip...

This post has been edited by Master Jim: Jan 10 2012, 11:45 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 11:55 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees