IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
BMX News Editorial: What Does It Mean To Be Sponsored?
reedhamilton
post Sep 8 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #16

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,423

QUOTE (Gorilla @ Sep 8 2011, 04:03 AM) *

The guy loves his "cigarettes". Five minutes of smoking - one minute of riding.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Sep 8 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #17

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

Since Mike enlightened me on plus (not anything bad just facts I never knew about over on Action), I'm even less of a fan than I was as a kid.

Sponsorship in BMX racing today is pretty watered down...I'm seeing Mike's model coming down the pike in the not too distant future.

Mike, why not do a quarterly BMX Now (no exclamation point please, LOL!...oh dang I exclamated...) mag on the magcloud thing.

Well why not barring...time, money, people to get to help, etc, lol...again.
Would be cool to see some editorials in print that can get the blood boiling like the 'ol Oz days....

Ah I remember when....

Brett...shut up.

+Quote Post
bystickel
post Sep 8 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #18

A Pro

Member No.: 5,664

Has there ever been a successful brand without a team (racing) or sponsored riders (freestyle)?

Has there been a successful brand that didn't also have regular print/web advertising?

Although it proves little, the team seems to be the main indicator of the product's legitimacy, equal parts Barnum and Cronkite.

+Quote Post
BS
post Sep 8 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #19

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

Good article, Mike.

I actually think that sponsorship, for the most part, is bollocks in BMX and try to promote the value of NOT being sponsored in my activities but this is a good topic and a good one to have in the hands of someone who aspires to be a real journalist. Nice work.

+Quote Post
BS
post Sep 8 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #20

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

QUOTE (bystickel @ Sep 8 2011, 11:24 AM) *
Has there ever been a successful brand without a team (racing) or sponsored riders (freestyle)?

Phil Wood

Chris King

True Precision (Stealth) - had a team but no more I believe.

Honestly, in many areas of industry, brands that don't advertise also happen to be the brands of the highest quality. How often do you see Rolls Royce TV commercials? If a high quality brand has to start advertising that's usually a sign of trouble. Could even be an indicator that quality has gone down hill and they need to do something to cover their backside quick.

+Quote Post
nickdawghaters
post Sep 8 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #21

AA Pro

Member No.: 12,755

Meredith,

Ill try to keep this civil but I can definitely see it turning into the same old battle on what is "BMX"... BMX Plus covers BMX across the board. Unfortunately the part of BMX your passionate about is a small minority in the grand scheme of things. So when Plus covers a race and goes through the expense of sending out Ben and all that stuff Im grateful. BMX Plus whether you like it or not is a publication that somehow withstood the test of time and the internet age. When the racing aspect is a bigger portion of the overall bmx ridership I think you could see an increase in coverage, also think of the nationals on a calendar year... Same circus weekend after weekend again and again with the same song and dance. Coverage of any kind is good so if you dont want to subscribe then thats your choice, but Ive seen Plus feature race covers in the past and thats enough for me to keep supporting them, they support the riders in all aspects and Ben Crocket even races a national here and there.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Sep 8 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #22

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (Brett Middaugh @ Sep 8 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Since Mike enlightened me on plus (not anything bad just facts I never knew about over on Action), I'm even less of a fan than I was as a kid.

Sponsorship in BMX racing today is pretty watered down...I'm seeing Mike's model coming down the pike in the not too distant future.

Mike, why not do a quarterly BMX Now (no exclamation point please, LOL!...oh dang I exclamated...) mag on the magcloud thing.

Well why not barring...time, money, people to get to help, etc, lol...again.
Would be cool to see some editorials in print that can get the blood boiling like the 'ol Oz days....

Ah I remember when....

Brett...shut up.

I like your thinking there, Brett, and as I mentioned on the BMXA thread, I am working on some things vis a vis a print component to my offerings. Lots of "ifs" at this stage, so I have not really been talking about it openly (LOL, well, I guess I am now).

Lots of things have to come together to make it a reality, though I have been working on the planning for about two months. I don't want to be one of those guys who talks up an idea that never happens. But we're family here, so...

MagCloud is a good option for some toe-in-the-water stuff, and I will probably put up some advance content to see how it "feels" in print. The only downside is that the single copy price is really high for MagCloud ($8 for a 40-pager, base cost), so it makes it tough to charge anything beyond production cost for the product. And because the circ numbers are likely going to be very, very low, you could not really sell ads with a straight face (not to mention that the reader would have to effectively PAY for the ads to be printed as part of their purchase).

Stay tuned, though, there may be some things coming down the pike in the coming 45 days.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
gabsphatgmc
post Sep 8 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #23

Novice

Member No.: 15,191

I wish my son would read that article thoroughly and take it seriously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) He seems to have lost that whole concept of thinking before you speak or post because of what affect it might have on someone whether its a sponsor, a potential sponsor, co sponsor or even the ones that look up to him.......

+Quote Post
obsessive
post Sep 8 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #24

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 10,236

QUOTE (nickdawghaters @ Sep 8 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Watch your mouth buddy... Ben @ BMX Plus! Doesnt need to attend races to get coverage so be thankful that the one real magazine that does come out, even really does come out.

i'm not biting on this. First off, I'm the consumer. Some people in BMX are so concerned with being name droppers and brosephs that they can't see the forest through the trees.

Again, I'm the consumer. Grateful? for what? that they offer minimal coverage of a sport they should be covering in the first place? That they claim to be a BMX magazine that barely covers BMX? When people buy products from me I'm grateful, I don't expect them to be grateful although sometimes they are...and thats cool.

Think about the following:

I walked into Starbucks today and ordered a Mocha Latte......the barista told me I should be grateful she's there to make the drink

My lawncare guy came over for treatment number 6 today......he told me I should be grateful that he takes care of my lawn

I bought a book at Barnes and Nobles the other day and the bookseller told me I should be thankful that she could sell me the book

Sound backwards to anyone?

Maybe your buddy Ben needs to start having a new attitude toward BMX Racing, maybe even adopt an attitude of gratefulness....then he can sell more mags.

Until then, I'll save my money cause I don't care about Freestyle biking.

OB

+Quote Post
MeredithJL
post Sep 8 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #25

AA Pro

Member No.: 17,979

It won't become "uncivil" unless you take it there. We have different opinions on the relevance of Plus! as a source of race reporting, that's all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE (nickdawghaters @ Sep 8 2011, 12:46 PM) *
Meredith,

Ill try to keep this civil but I can definitely see it turning into the same old battle on what is "BMX"... BMX Plus covers BMX across the board. Unfortunately the part of BMX your passionate about is a small minority in the grand scheme of things. So when Plus covers a race and goes through the expense of sending out Ben and all that stuff Im grateful. BMX Plus whether you like it or not is a publication that somehow withstood the test of time and the internet age. When the racing aspect is a bigger portion of the overall bmx ridership I think you could see an increase in coverage, also think of the nationals on a calendar year... Same circus weekend after weekend again and again with the same song and dance. Coverage of any kind is good so if you dont want to subscribe then thats your choice, but Ive seen Plus feature race covers in the past and thats enough for me to keep supporting them, they support the riders in all aspects and Ben Crocket even races a national here and there.

This post has been edited by MeredithJL: Sep 8 2011, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 05:00 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees