IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
OS bmx's bought so cheaply we laughed all the way home.
kerrzo1971
post Sep 5 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,537

Hi olds, anybody got any stories about bmx's bought for little or nothing? Bikes sold as "bmx bike, works ok" and turned out to JC's own freestyler?
My personal favourite is asking about a frame in an old bike shop and being handed a superburner aero frame in gold, in a big brown paper bag with skyways freestyle grabrail kit, sunigo ring, triple traps,dia compe levers etc. The full kit. The guy said it had been cluttering up his shelves for as long as he could remember. He asked £50 but I got him down to £30 claiming "I was gonna take the kids to the movies" which was nice of him seeing as we have none. The £20 went on a pair of mags from the well-fed kid around the corner. Win. Bike stolen in 2004. Fail.
Kerrzo.

This post has been edited by kerrzo1971: Sep 5 2011, 08:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowman
post Sep 5 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 29,587

I picked up this 1990 GT Mach One for $50 earlier this summer. I know it isn't anything special but it is completely original. Every nut and bolt. All reflectors (previous owner sent me the wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors when he found them), original "GT" molded tires, original brake pads, everything. Never beaten on nor put away wet. Original owners manual. Looks like it was ridden less than 50 miles, ever.

Only thing it's missing is the rear valve stem cap.

This post has been edited by slowman: Sep 5 2011, 09:01 PM

+Quote Post
RandyS
post Sep 5 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 3,462

I've bought a Panda MX4(dual shock), R&R, 4 or 5 BB gusset Gooses, Kuwahara ET, Moosegoose, 2nd Gen Motopro, Gurney Squareback, Matthews hardtail, 2 Webcos, 2 Strokers, 3 other Pandas, a dozen or so Motomag 1s, too many Motomag 2s to count, a couple of dozen other rare frames I can't remember now as well 100 or more less rare 70s and early 80s frames(Hutches, CW, Mongoose, Schwinn, DB.....). All from the same place and all from between $2 and $5 a piece. Sadly that place has been gone for about 10 years, and for my bank account all but a few were sold in the early days of Ebay for a quarter or less of what they'd be worth today.

+Quote Post
Lewis
post Sep 6 2011, 01:28 AM
Post #4

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 1,716

I dont have my collection any more BUT when I did it would have to be the Harry Leary Turbo for 80.00 dollars. I had an add in the paper got the call at eight in the morning...... I was still in bed........ I basically turned up at the guys house in my PJ's.

+Quote Post
kerrzo1971
post Sep 6 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Lewis @ Sep 6 2011, 03:28 PM) *
I dont have my collection any more BUT when I did it would have to be the Harry Leary Turbo for 80.00 dollars. I had an add in the paper got the call at eight in the morning...... I was still in bed........ I basically turned up at the guys house in my PJ's.

For eighty dollars I'd turn up at his door in a gimpsuit! Excellent bargain!

+Quote Post
kerrzo1971
post Sep 6 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (RandyS @ Sep 6 2011, 01:53 PM) *
I've bought a Panda MX4(dual shock), R&R, 4 or 5 BB gusset Gooses, Kuwahara ET, Moosegoose, 2nd Gen Motopro, Gurney Squareback, Matthews hardtail, 2 Webcos, 2 Strokers, 3 other Pandas, a dozen or so Motomag 1s, too many Motomag 2s to count, a couple of dozen other rare frames I can't remember now as well 100 or more less rare 70s and early 80s frames(Hutches, CW, Mongoose, Schwinn, DB.....). All from the same place and all from between $2 and $5 a piece. Sadly that place has been gone for about 10 years, and for my bank account all but a few were sold in the early days of Ebay for a quarter or less of what they'd be worth today.

Yep, I now have a rule that it's better to whip it down to the bars, frame and forks and stow in a box in the attic than sell it and regret it ten years later.

QUOTE (slowman @ Sep 6 2011, 11:00 AM) *
I picked up this 1990 GT Mach One for $50 earlier this summer. I know it isn't anything special but it is completely original. Every nut and bolt. All reflectors (previous owner sent me the wheel reflectors and pedal reflectors when he found them), original "GT" molded tires, original brake pads, everything. Never beaten on nor put away wet. Original owners manual. Looks like it was ridden less than 50 miles, ever.

Only thing it's missing is the rear valve stem cap.

Sweet bike. Straight up original unbeasted bmx.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 12:37 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees