Timing system for training?
murrdog
post Jan 8 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #16

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,690

QUOTE (joker75 @ Aug 5 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Also is this just for you, or are you looking for something that you can allow others to borrow the stopwatch and see how they are doingas well? If it is just for your personal use, you may also want to look into the Ripxx. It monitors you for the entire track. You can set up sections to time seperately, as well as timing the full track. It shows your speed during turns and jumps, so you can take different lines through turns and rhythm sections and actually see what lines allow you to go the fastest. I don't know how much of the info you can dig into straight from the device, but it looks like on your PC, you can get very detailed logs of what you are doing.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you get one and how they work out.

I use the Ripxx on my road bike and bmx bike. Haven't used it in a while, wasn't sure I was going to race or not this year. I used it on the track and for sprint training.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ihailfromohio
post Jan 8 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #17

A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,463

QUOTE (DeeRay @ Jan 7 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Has anyone looked into, or tried this set-up?
It hooks up to any of the TARA gate control systems for a track or a practice gate and starts automatically on green, and stops the timer when your ride over the timing strip or cross the infrared stop switch
I guess it come's with a 20' cord, which I'm sure you can make a longer cord ... At least you can use it for gate practice

The cartessa system your talking about is pretty cool. I use it almost daily. Bought it several years ago. You can upgrade to a longer cord, its X amount extra per X feet. I tried adding an extension to the cord length myself and it doesn't work, actually gotta get it from them. Also, I'm looking into upgrading to the infrared switch. Sometimes my front wheel leaves ground and I miss the trip switch (not that often though). For gates or time trials at the track, this thing is awesome for sure.

+Quote Post
DHRM
post Jan 25 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 33,206

Thanks for the intro T Hoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9BGizVOWk

+Quote Post
svtfmook
post Jan 25 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #19

A Pro

Member No.: 26,629

what if someone had an app for your iphone or android that utilizes your gps signal to trigger a stopwatch as soon as you started moving? or if you don't have gps, you can use the accelerometer (so it will work with the ipod as well).

you could utilize gps to set a start/finish to count/time laps.

i have a feeling i just gave away another million dollar app...

+Quote Post
TonyHoffman
post Jan 25 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #20

A Pro

Member No.: 21,817

QUOTE (DHRM @ Jan 25 2012, 09:41 AM) *

No worries!

I find this system to be very accurate and useful! Right now because of my knee injury I am not doing a lot of bmx sprinting and I will tell you this... I am anticipating each sprint session with so much excitement having this system.

Heres something else to chew on..

They make 22 meter strips that can be buried in the dirt at tracks and the French have been unrolling this system up and down there country, totaling 20 tracks right now! The strips have a straight magnetic field signal. So no need to move it around to get it in the right spot.

This is a system that all tracks with great rider counts could adopt. Set up the strips in selected areas (30 foot, 2nd straight, 3rd and finish), which by the way can connect with the cartessa system and start on the drop of the gate, and rent out or sell watches to riders looking to enhance their performance or track there gains made at the track. All of the gearing wonders would be answered with a simple use of a Freelap watch. I think this is one way that club BMX may out perform the USA system over a period of time if they are unrolling this system to help utilize performance at club practices and monitor rider trends in performance.

This post has been edited by TonyHoffman: Jan 25 2012, 12:13 PM

+Quote Post
Justin Miller
post Jan 25 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #21

A Pro

Member No.: 9,855

BMX Track Supply has been in talks with Christopher at Freelap over the last couple days. We are working out the possibility of having the personal timers trigger off of the start gate box. Basically when the green light lights and the ram lets go, your timer will start. It requires adding a module to interface the TX Full Track Transmitter to the Cartessa system. The track would then have buried strips at other locations on the track including the finish line.

I am in very early talks with Freelap. At risk of jumping the gun, it looks promising that this deal will go through and will be available in the next couple of months direct from my web store.

I am also very far along with a tract timer system with large LED digits displayed. It will trigger the start off of the gate box, and stop via infrared switch or run over switch. Think the Cartessa timer only LARGER. Will only catch the lead rider but will be cool to have at the track for the whole audience to see.

Stay tuned...
There are some cool things in the works!

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Jan 25 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #22

Vet Pro

Member No.: 2,491

QUOTE (Justin Miller @ Jan 25 2012, 03:24 PM) *
BMX Track Supply has been in talks with Christopher at Freelap over the last couple days. We are working out the possibility of having the personal timers trigger off of the start gate box. Basically when the green light lights and the ram lets go, your timer will start. It requires adding a module to interface the TX Full Track Transmitter to the Cartessa system. The track would then have buried strips at other locations on the track including the finish line.

I am in very early talks with Freelap. At risk of jumping the gun, it looks promising that this deal will go through and will be available in the next couple of months direct from my web store.

I am also very far along with a tract timer system with large LED digits displayed. It will trigger the start off of the gate box, and stop via infrared switch or run over switch. Think the Cartessa timer only LARGER. Will only catch the lead rider but will be cool to have at the track for the whole audience to see.

Stay tuned...
There are some cool things in the works!

Interesting!

+Quote Post
FreelapUSA
post Mar 11 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 34,753

I received an update from Justin yesterday. His BMX Gate transmitter is fully functional. It is compatible with both Cartessa and ProGate systems, and will trigger all the watches in the starting gate when the gate drops. The Freelap TX Full Track transmitter can be placed at the finish to trigger each watch as it crosses the finish line. Transmitters can also be placed at other locations to collect splits.

Best,
Christopher

+Quote Post
Justin Miller
post Apr 5 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #24

A Pro

Member No.: 9,855

Update!
It has been a very busy last couple of months. I work about 50 hours a week at a full time job, run U1 Engineering / BMX Track Supply, been getting ready to start up my track for the season, and somehow managed to design this little gem. I just got the plastics in today so I built up a functioning Freelap BMX Gate Transmitter. Tracks will be able to use this to trigger the watches off of the cadence box. I have a prototype system at Peninsula Indoor in WA, and this one will be installed at my track. Once I have the owner’s manual written, these will be available for tracks to buy. If everything goes well, they will be available on my site next weekend. I plan to sell the BMX Gate transmitter seen below, as well as a Full Track transmitter for $500, and additional Full Track transmitters will be $250. Watches can be purchased from Christopher at Freelap.

I really think that riders will benefit from this system. You will no longer wonder why your kid won the first moto, and then got spanked in the main. Did he slow down, or did another rider step it up for the main? What is your lap time at the beginning of the year vs. the end? Is your training program netting results on your 30’ or your laps?
I am also working on something low cost so that you can use a Tx Junior with a Stumpy Gate. This will use a magnet actuated switch to turn it on. As soon as the drop on the gate starts to move it will start the watch.

Justin Miller
BMX Track Supply
800-974-3017

(IMG:http://u1engineering.com/images/IMG-20120405-00079.jpg)
(IMG:http://u1engineering.com/images/IMG-20120405-00080.jpg)

+Quote Post
nobull
post Apr 6 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #25

A Pro

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 14,001

QUOTE (Justin Miller @ Apr 6 2012, 01:07 AM) *
Update!
It has been a very busy last couple of months. I work about 50 hours a week at a full time job, run U1 Engineering / BMX Track Supply, been getting ready to start up my track for the season, and somehow managed to design this little gem. I just got the plastics in today so I built up a functioning Freelap BMX Gate Transmitter. Tracks will be able to use this to trigger the watches off of the cadence box. I have a prototype system at Peninsula Indoor in WA, and this one will be installed at my track. Once I have the owner’s manual written, these will be available for tracks to buy. If everything goes well, they will be available on my site next weekend. I plan to sell the BMX Gate transmitter seen below, as well as a Full Track transmitter for $500, and additional Full Track transmitters will be $250. Watches can be purchased from Christopher at Freelap.

I really think that riders will benefit from this system. You will no longer wonder why your kid won the first moto, and then got spanked in the main. Did he slow down, or did another rider step it up for the main? What is your lap time at the beginning of the year vs. the end? Is your training program netting results on your 30’ or your laps?
I am also working on something low cost so that you can use a Tx Junior with a Stumpy Gate. This will use a magnet actuated switch to turn it on. As soon as the drop on the gate starts to move it will start the watch.

Justin Miller
BMX Track Supply
800-974-3017

(IMG:http://u1engineering.com/images/IMG-20120405-00079.jpg)
(IMG:http://u1engineering.com/images/IMG-20120405-00080.jpg)

I have just installed the freelap timing system at our indoor (Peninsula Indoor) track. I am using the BMX Track supply controler to activate the timers when the gate is dropped and I have sensors at the 30' line and the finish line. I also have a couple of portable ones to move around the track. All in all it is a pretty slick system.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 09:00 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees