IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Old guy at local races, Trying to get faster....
BMXPOP
post Jul 13 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,736

At age 49, I have just begun racing a cruiser. I am pretty slow, but working on becoming more competitive. I kinda feel bad sometime when I show up to race. I get beat by a full straight right now. But, if I wasn't there, perhaps the other riders in my moto could have been combined with younger and faster riders and had a much more enjoyable race. I'm sure that problem has happened at other tracks??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NV02CRUISER
post Jul 13 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Member No.: 24,743

Ive been there Man! Dont spend time worring about what other people are thinking. You are there for you, your there to have a good time and ride, it keeps us feeling young. I have been at it for 3 years now and absolutly love it more all the time. If you wana get faster, remember often times its the work you put in away from the track that makes the biggest difference...
Kevin 44 years old

+Quote Post
cwstnsko
post Jul 13 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Expert

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 30,566

Good job getting out on the track. I recently returned to racing as well. Be patient and realize that your speed can only increase as fast as your bike handling skills do.

+Quote Post
dayride
post Jul 14 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #4

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,529

Don't get discouraged you'll improve with time. I get killed by others on a regular basis, but I my main thing is to get better each time I race. We have about 12-13 guys that race, half of which I will probably never beat, but eventually competing with the other half is my goal. I had a spectator come up to me after a race one day and say hey I know you lost but at least you are out there. Just keep having fun.

+Quote Post
justride
post Aug 29 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 32,310

Know this is an old thread but how are things progressing over the past month? Should begin to get your legs under you and get your wind up a bit. In time you should be able to compete well.

+Quote Post
sanamirza
post Sep 13 2011, 02:51 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 33,645

Yes man you are right and going very well.
Infact there is no time limit to do any thing...if you have enough strength then you should do something you want to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

http://plumbing-xspurts.ca

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Sep 20 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

While I'm not quite 49, I did come back after a 15 year break. I found that working on being slow and smooth, then try for speed after worked best. Once the confidence comes, the relaxation comes and then the speed will follow. Pick an obstacle that's giving you trouble. Work on getting over it slow and smooth, then slowly try a little more speed. I think 90% of it is confidence and relaxation though.

+Quote Post
bumpdat1
post Sep 20 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Novice

Member No.: 28,866

I'm 49 and I go out and have fun, as long as I don't crash or someone cuts me off I'm good. I know it bothers when you get beat, that's the competetive person inside of all of us.

+Quote Post
DaBeast
post Oct 4 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #9

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 33,707

I'm 41 and I just started racing this year. I had no idea how quickly I'd go from "Hey, I'm just out here getting exercise with my kids" to being overly competitive and chasing my district points.

Confidence is a big factor in getting faster. Also...Not letting aggressiveness get the better of a decision to use the brake has kept me off the ground on multiple occasions. There are still several obstacles I know I probably "could" jump, but I just haven't tried, but I'm close enough to the fast guys for now. Just received the Arkansas State #2 plate last weekend behind (albeit half the final straight and a few thousand points behind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif) ) a guy who's NAG #7, so I couldn't be happier.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sun_bespectacled.gif)

Hope you're having as much fun as I am cuz that's what it's all about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
overthehill39
post Oct 4 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #10

Novice

Member No.: 22,464

This topic gives me hope, want to get back in, thinking of building a 24" over the winter, start early next season. I just joined a gym, 42 this year, so I want to do something healthy. Hey at least it is a start.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 09:29 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees