IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Crank sizing help needed
Guest_bmx327_*
post Dec 30 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Guests

what should I be looking for to realize it's time for my son to have longer cranks? He's rode 155's for over a year, seems to still be comfortable on them, but I feel like maybe it's time for 160's just because he's been on 155's for a while now. THOUGHTS/SUGGESTIONS ? FYI..my son is 9 with a 23" inseam

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason F.
post Dec 31 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,812

If he doesnt look cramped up dont change them.

+Quote Post
joker75
post Dec 31 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 25,653

This is from jrbicycles.com. It is just one of many you can find by googling Crank length charts. Most are very close, but they do vary some. And remember, these are only one persons interpretation of the correct crank length. Some people will feel better spinning a shorter crank, while others will feel better lugging a longer crank with a taller gear. It's all personal. Also, if you decide to go to longer cranks, give him a week or two to get used to them before you decide whether or not they are adversly affecting his performance. It can take you some time with the new cranks to get used to them and get the best out of them.

Crank lengths

+Quote Post
Guest_bmx327_*
post Dec 31 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #4

Guests

also, what's the advantage of outboard bearings ?? are they beneficial to the mini/junior sized riders?

+Quote Post
truckdaddy
post Dec 31 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #5

Intermediate

Member No.: 9,146

QUOTE (bmx327 @ Dec 31 2010, 03:43 PM) *
also, what's the advantage of outboard bearings ?? are they beneficial to the mini/junior sized riders?

Probablely not. Little muscles don't produce a lot of power.
Although I suppose if the frame designer had them in mind, then use the outboard bearings.
keep in mind that the may increase the width between the pedals (q-factor).
You do not want the pedals to far apart as this can cause knee and hip pain.

+Quote Post
bmxgator
post Dec 31 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 20,013

I also concur on not going with an outboard bearing bottom bracket, mainly for the additional weight added. Not only with the bottom bracket, but also the crank arms required for this type of bottom bracket. I would suggest using a titanium square taper BB, (FSA, Crupi, Sinz) to take advantage of the weight savings on the BB and crank arms. My 9x has run this setup for more than a year with no problems. I remove the BB about every 3 months and do a thorough cleaning.

This post has been edited by bmxgator: Dec 31 2010, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 07:34 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees