Reply to this topicStart new topic
Famous BMX Inkster MI
AriMclaren
post Nov 7 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,794

With all these MI indoor threads got me thinking about where it all started for me. It's been along time but I will never forget that smell, the leaks in the roof, big start hill?, great announcer. That place was a winter wonderland for me as a kid. Oh yeah the arcade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob Hyde
post Nov 13 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,353

QUOTE (AriMclaren @ Nov 7 2010, 08:30 PM) *
With all these MI indoor threads got me thinking about where it all started for me. It's been along time but I will never forget that smell, the leaks in the roof, big start hill?, great announcer. That place was a winter wonderland for me as a kid. Oh yeah the arcade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah , I raced there quite a bit. It was a track run by Barry Mayo. It was an old furniture store and Barry had wrapped old mattresses around the cement pillars that were next to the track. Placed leaked pretty bad too and was really cold in the winter!

+Quote Post
240 + riders
post Nov 15 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 5,113

i raced there one time ,ron re ,his dad and me went to that trrack the night before the 1981 pontiac superdome race,we were from philly ,pa and somebody happened to tell us about this track why i remember this race was that the supposed hot shot from that track who had never lost at that track ,got spanked by me that night ,and he did not take it well and i had to fight my way out of the place,got in the car and took off ....i wish i knew that guys name i raced 15 cruiser back then, but man he got more and more pissed each race i beat him .Was anybody else there and remember that kids name was. Had that trophy on my shelf ,because i had to fight to get out there, and everybody that was there was his friend that night

+Quote Post
MichBMX
post Dec 6 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 10,117

What up Ari. Matt "mudpuppy" Homer here and you know I have alot of love for Famous BMX. It was a pit to some but it was my pit. That place kept me and alot of kids from our "hood" out of trouble. The strange thing is when it closed many of the guys from the neighborhood went to doing some negative stuff and did some prison time because of their bad desicions. As for me aside from my wife and kids , the best times in my life took place at that track. My Mom ( R.I.P. ) and Dad ran the snack bar allowing me to race for free and get tokens to play the games. I know we didnt get the same respect as the Crossroads guys or the Bogie east guys but damn we had fun there and could hold our own with any of those guys. I loved Barrys 2 lap trophy dashs ( my highlight was beating Special K in the 2 lap and winning my 15 ex main ). I still have all my certificates from thier points series. I still imagine floating the turn 4 European and that seet step up coming out of turn 2. Man I can ttalk about the place without smiling from ear to ear. FAMOUS BMX RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to the Mayo's for the great times

+Quote Post
mikemach
post Dec 8 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 721

I raced there once. My only memory is the gate did not drop in one of my motos and over the bars we all went! I am also sure I got beat fairly soundly, the competition was good there.

+Quote Post
MichBMX
post Dec 17 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 10,117

That gate was steep for sure, but you could jump it with some prcatice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I knw every inch of dirt in that place. One guy that grew up there and is still racing today and killing it is "little" John Milleer ( Nat #1 Factory Hyper ). Anyone remember the high pitched voice, the skin tight Hutch leathers. He was there all the time and ran into him at the Waterford Reuniuon and had a blast catching up, also saw Donny Jezorski, Mike Chadwick, and Solan Foster ( all Famous BMX locals) . Come on I know other Michigan Riders post on here and you had to race there at some point.

+Quote Post
BMX TEACHER
post Dec 18 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 3,620

I remember the track well. My sister and I used to race there all winter long. I rember that really short first straight and the rt hand 90 degree corner. Really funt rack, and yes the comp there was always great. My mom has some great pics of us racing there. Tommy

+Quote Post
BobColeman
post Nov 5 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 34,031

I Raced there also with Matt,and all the locals I am actually in North Carolina and racing again at a local track here
this is Bob Coleman

what up

+Quote Post
BobColeman
post Nov 5 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 34,031

Anyone who Knew Steve Andrews he has passed away just recently just letting all know

+Quote Post
Beer234
post Jan 26 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #10

Novice

Member No.: 19,664

Waterford Oaks BMX Vintage Bike Show / Track Reunion 2012
Sponsored by the Waterford Oaks BMX Volunteer Association
DATE: Saturday March 10th 2012
TIME: display setup 12:00 – 1:00 Show 1:00 – 5:00
LOCATION: Waterford Oaks Activity Center 2800 Watkins Lake Road Waterford, MI 48328
COST: FREE
MORE INFO: www.waterfordoaksbmx.com or like our fan page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pag...160442970675658

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:20 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees