ROCKFORD 2011...Any thoughts or plans?
Hutch Freak
post Oct 23 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #16

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 905

QUOTE (race_inc @ Oct 23 2010, 06:16 PM) *
I got it Karl, waaaaaay funny!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

D....That does not surprise me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hallw36
post Oct 26 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 29,527

Last year was my firs Rockford and I loved it. I am planning on entering a bike or 2 that my 8th grade bike club is working on. It is a long drive but well worth it. It was a great time last year. Keep up the great work.

+Quote Post
Chip
post Nov 15 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #18

A Pro

Member No.: 2,433

QUOTE (John De Bruin @ Oct 12 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I asked that question last year.

My $.02 this year is that attendance at the vintage show is directly related to vintage activity on this site.

There are quite a few people not even members here who have been working on builds for this years show. If the awards are done for this year, it would be nice for them to know before they put in for vacation time.

great to hear comments about scooters. it was our intent last year to create something new that people would talk about all year. This years project will be a new idea as well, with or without the awards competition.

+Quote Post
juanrmattos
post Nov 15 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #19

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 12,425

I have only attended to the last three events, and in all honest truth, I have nothing but great things to say about every single one of them; Mike (And Family) have always done it in spectacular fashion, and very well planned and organized (Props to some other locals that volunteer to pitch in as well)... It is simply awesome to be able to go there with your family and spend a full weekend meeting all your online buddies and talking BMX non-stop (Maybe snatching a couple plaques while you are at it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ).

BUT, with that said, I completely understand Mike's position, and as many others out there, I have learned to understand that usually your best effort is never enough (No matter if you end up up side down paying for some of it out of your own pocket)... Sadly!!

I would really like to see a "roots" event, with a big "Illinois Style" grill and BMX expo only; no awards, no assigned spaces, no check in and out; all the interested vendors out there can contribute with an "Sponsored Event" to go along the sidelines of the meet (Such the Friday night chill session or Saturday Breakfast or a Park ride)... Still free of charge to the attending public

(If this works my company calls DIBS on the usual open bar on Friday!!! IOI)

+Quote Post
miss piggy
post Nov 15 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,405

I have one question. Am I considered a bro? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My input; I think that the guest speaker is a big draw for this event. It would be nice to keep it.

Rockford 2010 was my first time and I have nothing to great things to say about the entire event. Again, your work was greatly appreciated, Mike.

I'm in.

(..)

+Quote Post
13thoni
post Nov 15 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #21

Novice

Member No.: 13,753

i have been the last 3 years as well.. had a blast every time.. i would love to see some changes that would make it a little less confusing... the first year i was there was when woody itson was the guest speaker.. that year.. on friday .. alot of folks were at the track ..chatting /trading/ selling/ gettin stuck in the mud!! haha! i met sooo many people and what a fun time
saturday was amazing!! all the bikes and people just had me in awe..

seems as if the last two years there was soo much emphasis on structure/placement/time tables
i guess i will just say the things i liked / disliked... remeber this is MY OPINION.. i am not the guy in charge.. im just a bystander.. i know alot of people may get their feelings hurt...
liked the maps to and from clocktower on last years stuff.. loved the last 2 friday nite chill sessions...missed all the breakfast stuff( hey i was on vacation) would have loved to meet the zeronine guy
listening to woody speak was just awesome! ron wilkerson was entertaining... hollywood mike.. i held him like a baby! stompin stu..class act!
the bikes! everything i had ever dreamed of seeing again .. it was all there!
the people i met.... that was one of the best parts of going! i still speak to , an a semi regular basis , alot of the people i met there..THE TABLE
now they even have a decent bar at the hotel...so who else is down for some tilted kilt action???
in 08 and 09 .. there were some super rad raffle prizes! all kinds of old school stuff and some newer suff..2010.. i know you guys spent alot of time tryin to get people to donate ... but i guess the raffle prizes hit a peak and it ended up on the downward slope.. i mean this is "vintage bmx" sponsored show.. not much vintage bmx as compared to prior years

what did i dislike??
the first year i went in 08 i had no idea how to get to the track from hotel and got lost several times..
no real gameplan as to where and when stuff was (08&09)
every year some sort of confusion w bike show competition
too many GT's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

suggestions?.. have the banquet part at the tilted kilt...eveyone pays for their own food or work something out with the restaurant...do away with the raffle and make the bike show super simple...someones feelings will get hurt(freestyle brake pads on a race bike=eliminated) do away with half the rules in it...
i hear the breakfast meetings are way cool...make em at like 9 or 10...so most of us can enjoy them
friday nites have been cool... guest speaker.. make em pay their own way..im sure you get a few rooms comped.. put em up! i saw alot of pros there that were there on their own dime im sure...let them speak.. or hell i just saw pics from that 40 yrs of bmx and voris dixon was on hand..
i guess i have said what i want to say... if anyone wants to reply or wanna know how i REALLY feel.. send me an email to 13thoni@gmail.com

my 2 cents

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Nov 16 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #22

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Thanks for the spurt of feedback yesterday. All appreciated, and well received.

I feel comfortable at this point saying that there WILL be a Rockford 2011 for sure, which is a leap forward from where I was a couple months ago.

Chip, I hear ya regarding putting out the details sooner than later. I will put out the final word on awards by December 1. And will work to have the full weekend details out by Jan 1. I definitely want to make it easy to plan for those coming in from out of town.

I am leaning toward having awards in the show, as I feel not having them would really suck the oxygen out of the event. That said, if we do end up with awards, the rules we have had in place in recent years will be radically stripped down, as Scott suggested above. I realize (now) that it does not have to read like the pilot briefing book for a 747 to enter a bike.

I will also check with Jake and Candy about the possibility of a cookout at the track. I like that idea, but my impression is that they have frowned upon it due to both fire regulations and potential loss in business to the concession stand. The Tilted Kilt idea is also very good, and I will check to see if they have a space large enough to fit 100 people or so.

For any of you who have not posted yet, please do so. The input of the community is critical in making the 2011 event a ton of fun.

Best,

M

P.S. Does anyone have photos of the guest speaker doing his thing at the Friday morning breakfast for either year?

+Quote Post
Lonewolf
post Nov 16 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #23

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 15,933

Mike, I have never been to a Rockford event and have never organized anything nearly as elaborate, but I have thrown large parties before and it is WORK.

I see no reason not to do a "Roots" event if it allows you to kick back and enjoy the gathering with only the most minimal of structure.

If someone would like to volunteer to manage specific low key, judged events during the fest, hey maybe that's cool too. You should be able to enjoy it as well.

Separate from any awards donations, I do see an opportunity for a corporate sponsor for the event.

+Quote Post
PEP
post Nov 16 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #24

Vintagebmx.com Good Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,356

Hey Juan...what exactly is a "Illinois Grill" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mike - This has been a staple in my life since 01. I've been to them all, sometimes more involved than others, but the draw is definitely there. Even having no bikes for the past 4 years, I have learned that it's always cool to see people pushing the limit and seeing how this hobby has evolved, but also those people that I look forward to seeing every year. It's difficult when some of the old farts can't make it, but it's also cool to meet new folks and they know who you are by the posts that you comment on and or other transactions or interactions that you have with them.

The roots style will still have the same draw. If you bring bikes, good for you. If you don't, no worries. To me, the lack of pressure for guys to bring home the trophies feels much better than stressin out over finding a cable for the rear brake that's dated the correct year.

Memories that remain.....Muxter, 26incher, darksiders, Randy and the almighty collection of goodness, Tim Cook and the dinosaurs that he had, Jeff Miller (both of them) stories, hanging out in the skatepark, DJBDB, The east coast crew, James Tobin, Brian P, KERRY.....how could I forget him, Bill C, HAL....

I know it's a new crew, but the memories remain forever. This event will continue to be a staple on my fathers day weekends until I can't pedal a bike anymore.

I tip my hat to you Mike. The level of effort is outstanding and no matter what, you will not please everyone, but know this.......people will not think any less of this event regardless of the "style of event" you decide to have.

+Quote Post
juanrmattos
post Nov 16 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #25

A Pro
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,425

QUOTE (PEP @ Nov 16 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Hey Juan...what exactly is a "Illinois Grill" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dunno Pep, I just figured you have your own way to throw a barbe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Not sure if I would enter a bike into the contest again, but positively would be there to hang out with the buddies and willing to contribute to it in any way I can. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by juanrmattos: Nov 16 2010, 12:34 PM

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 03:39 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees