Reply to this topicStart new topic
1"3/8 tires on 1"1/8 rims ?
speedkelly
post Oct 5 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,212

Hi all anyone running this combo? are there any advantages or dis-advantages to this set-up? My son is a 10X very light in weight. At what age ? weight do rider's generally move up in tire/rim size? At the moment we have a really nice set of crupi wheels in 1"1/8 rim size would like to carry on using them for as long as possible? Thanks All Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Giant
post Oct 5 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 14,168

works fine we had used that set up in the past.

+Quote Post
joker75
post Oct 5 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 25,653

My son was running a similar setup on his front for about a year and a half with no problems.

How many spokes does your wheelset have, and how much does your son weigh? If it is the 24 hole set you will need to look into a heavier duty set sooner. I'm not sure on the weight limit on the 24 hole wheelsets, but if you are running the 28 hole wheelset you should be fine until your son hits about 120 lbs. That is when I was told to change my son to a 1.5" setup.

+Quote Post
speedkelly
post Oct 5 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Just checked, they are 28 spoke hubs. He weighs 75lbs. Also still running a answer mini scythe fork? what weight will the fork max out at? Thanks again

This post has been edited by speedkelly: Oct 5 2010, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
joker75
post Oct 5 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #5

A Pro

QUOTE (speedkelly @ Oct 5 2010, 12:21 PM) *
Just checked, they are 28 spoke hubs. He weighs 75lbs. Also still running a answer mini scythe fork? what weight will the fork max out at? Thanks again

Not to be a dink, but if you click the link to Answer BMX right here>>>>>>> it will take a couple of seconds to find that the weight limit on the Answer Scythe Mini forks is 91 lbs. for the 20" and 94 lbs. for the cruiser.

Your son should be fine on those wheels and 1 3/8" tires for a while. John Kovachi told me that the set he spec'd out for my son would be good until 120 lbs. At that point you should be able to just get 28 hole 1.5" rims and new spoke if you want to keep using your current hubs. Then when he hits 150 lbs. you get to move to a whole new 36 hole 1.75" setup.

Have fun and make sure that it stays fun for him and for you. If it turns into work everyone is more likely to burn out.

This post has been edited by joker75: Oct 5 2010, 12:40 PM

+Quote Post
speedkelly
post Oct 5 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Thank you for the info. Yea should have just looked that up on the forks? I never considered keeping the hubs and using larger rims? so that is good to know. learned lots from this website recently. Thank you again, was just wanting to know if running the larger tire size was ok and not some kind of bodge? And as for keeping it fun? he has been racing for over four years now. Had a few up's and down's (broken collarbone) But we just try to have a good time as a family unit. Now if he would just pedal a bit faster! Joking

+Quote Post
macdoa
post Oct 5 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Expert

Member No.: 20,207

Yes, many riders run 1 3/8 tires on “1 1/8th” rims with no problems. The problem is that there is no such thing as a 1 1/8 rim, there are a number of rims of varying widths that are referred to in that manner. The 1 3/8 tires also vary in width so one persons experience may not match with yours unless their setup is exactly what you have.

The Crupi 1 1/8 rim is quite likely the narrowest one on the market. The internal width is listed as 12.5mm and external is 18mm, their 1 3/8 rim is listed as 15.7mm internal width and 22.9mm external width. Compare this to the Alienation Ankle Biter 1 1/8 rim, which is listed as 14.9mm internal and 20.2 external . You can see that the Ankle Biter sits right in the middle of the two Crupi rims so it is easy to see how it is probably ok to run either a 1 1/8 or a 1 3/8 tire on the Alientation rim. Running a 1 3/8 on the narrower Crupi rim is likely going to result in a tire that really balloons out to the side of the rim, this may or may not be a problem, depending on how your kid rides. In my experience using a too wide tire on a narrow rim results in a lot more sidewall problems. Personally I would be inclined to lace the existing spokes and hub to some new rims.

As for the fork weight ratings. You need to keep in mind that these ratings are not for everyone though, you have to consider how your kid rides. My 11 year old 84 pound son recently bent a Ciari fork rated to 100 pounds but he did it after 50/50 casing a huge jump on the pro-section of one of our local tracks….scared the crap out of me.. I don’t fault the manufacturer in any way, it has been a great fork, just not ready for that kind of impact and it bent rather than breaking so he still has a full mouthful of teeth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
joker75
post Oct 5 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #8

A Pro

QUOTE (speedkelly @ Oct 5 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Thank you for the info. Yea should have just looked that up on the forks? I never considered keeping the hubs and using larger rims? so that is good to know. learned lots from this website recently. Thank you again, was just wanting to know if running the larger tire size was ok and not some kind of bodge? And as for keeping it fun? he has been racing for over four years now. Had a few up's and down's (broken collarbone) But we just try to have a good time as a family unit. Now if he would just pedal a bit faster! Joking

My son has only been racing for about 2.5 years. He has the pedal fast thing down pretty well. He went from Novice to Intermediate in the first 5-6 months of racing. He struggled a little when he first turned Intermediate, but quickly started tearing up the track in that class. He had his wins to turn epert after a little over a year and a half. Now he is towards the front of the 11X class at most of the local races.

His old fart dad has the pedal fast thing down OK, but the racing fast thing is a completely different story. I started racing almost a year after my son, and have had two decent crashes since then. The first was a cased double that sent me to the ICU for a week with a broken collar bon, broken ribs and a punctured lung. The most recent was a OTB get off due to another racer crashing in front of me on the backside of a jump. That one resulted in a broken wrist that required surgery and I was on restricted duty at work for over 3 months.

The information on this forum is very free-flowing. Almost every question that can be asked probably has been at one time or another. Finding the answers to those questions can be a little more difficult, so ask away. There is always someone that has information that will be helpful to just about any situation you find yourself in.

+Quote Post
speedkelly
post Oct 5 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Intermediate

QUOTE (joker75 @ Oct 5 2010, 12:45 PM) *
My son has only been racing for about 2.5 years. He has the pedal fast thing down pretty well. He went from Novice to Intermediate in the first 5-6 months of racing. He struggled a little when he first turned Intermediate, but quickly started tearing up the track in that class. He had his wins to turn epert after a little over a year and a half. Now he is towards the front of the 11X class at most of the local races.

His old fart dad has the pedal fast thing down OK, but the racing fast thing is a completely different story. I started racing almost a year after my son, and have had two decent crashes since then. The first was a cased double that sent me to the ICU for a week with a broken collar bon, broken ribs and a punctured lung. The most recent was a OTB get off due to another racer crashing in front of me on the backside of a jump. That one resulted in a broken wrist that required surgery and I was on restricted duty at work for over 3 months.

The information on this forum is very free-flowing. Almost every question that can be asked probably has been at one time or another. Finding the answers to those questions can be a little more difficult, so ask away. There is always someone that has information that will be helpful to just about any situation you find yourself in.

Yea. I think thats why I let my son do the Bmx racing thing. I'll stick to the motorcycles far safer if you ask me. Plus he kicks my butt on the Bmx track! How sad is that 10 year old showing me how it is done. Best of luck on the injuries, heal up soon.

This post has been edited by speedkelly: Oct 5 2010, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 01:34 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees