Reply to this topicStart new topic
Conn. NBL, One track is near death...
JordanJR
post Jul 2 2010, 06:51 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,439

Two years back, 'Gina' from Falcon Field, who Directs the NBL track, said I would be more than welcome to snap some gate-starts on my Mtn. Bike racer for fun. Sat. Mornings as the usual for, oh, near 30years. I never made it then, however.
Rode the track, in Racing condition, after tearing up the local Trails on my big-travel Iron Horse the year following. Lots of people there on a Sunday, all ages. Real Fun.

But just this past W/E, the track was weeded-over, major rut-action... yet had been re-designed after the first-turn in a huge way. Racing was to have started back in May!

Who has any leads on what is going on with the BMX scene in my old locale?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
upstatebmx
post Jul 2 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Intermediate

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 16,243

QUOTE (JordanJR @ Jul 2 2010, 07:51 AM) *
Two years back, 'Gina' from Falcon Field, who Directs the NBL track, said I would be more than welcome to snap some gate-starts on my Mtn. Bike racer for fun. Sat. Mornings as the usual for, oh, near 30years. I never made it then, however.
Rode the track, in Racing condition, after tearing up the local Trails on my big-travel Iron Horse the year following. Lots of people there on a Sunday, all ages. Real Fun.

But just this past W/E, the track was weeded-over, major rut-action... yet had been re-designed after the first-turn in a huge way. Racing was to have started back in May!

Maybe you should put this in the BMX racing thread. You might get more of a response.

+Quote Post
Proger
post Jul 4 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 4,209

QUOTE (JordanJR @ Jul 2 2010, 12:51 PM) *

There has been a pull between both sanctions with Falcon BMX. The city stepped in and played moderator finally calling for a meeting and a vote which took place on June 24th. Both John David from the ABA and Gary Aragon from the NBL put on 45 minute presentations. The city declared that there were 35 families who were eligible to cast one vote each for the sanction of choice. Of those families 24 were present to cast their votes. The results were 16 - 8 to remain an NBL sanctioned track. There is now a new Interim track director (Matt Knowlton) and work will begin immediately to get the track in shape to salvage the second half of this racing season.

Both John and Gary put on excellent presentations and my personal feeling was that it would have been a much closer vote had Falcon not resided in a region that is one of the best state programs in the NBL. Hopefully the people involved will put the sanction wars behind them and get BMX back and running in Meriden within a few weeks.

Rog Plaskett - Foothills BMX

+Quote Post
JordanJR
post Jul 6 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #4

A Pro

This had happened before, I raced in the late-eighties.
My first race was at this Track in 1987, Track operators (Mr. Plaskett...???) were upset that a 13 Beginner was jumping the Doubles out the first corner, twice.
Third Moto, I rolled them while everyone alse on the gate tried them for maybe the second time.
Glad it will be back, the re-do looks fast and techie.
Best of Luck, with the Torrington Race Track also.

+Quote Post
Proger
post Jul 6 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #5

Expert

QUOTE (JordanJR @ Jul 6 2010, 07:18 PM) *
This had happened before, I raced in the late-eighties.
My first race was at this Track in 1987, Track operators (Mr. Plaskett...???) were upset that a 13 Beginner was jumping the Doubles out the first corner, twice.
Third Moto, I rolled them while everyone alse on the gate tried them for maybe the second time.
Glad it will be back, the re-do looks fast and techie.
Best of Luck, with the Torrington Race Track also.

Sorry Jordan but you kinda lost me on that one. No, the track has never had a pull between the two sanctions before and no I was never the Track Operator there. Lastly I dont understand the redo that your referring to. Other then that, I've followed you completely. I assume that you are Jim Jordan?

Rog Plaskett

+Quote Post
JordanJR
post Jul 7 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #6

A Pro

The track looked re-done after the first turn.
Like the first straight from the long-gone Bristol NBL track.

J. Jordan

+Quote Post
Proger
post Jul 7 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #7

Expert

QUOTE (JordanJR @ Jul 7 2010, 11:44 AM) *
The track looked re-done after the first turn.
Like the first straight from the long-gone Bristol NBL track.

J. Jordan

Okay redone from when you raced in the eighties a number of times. I thought you meant recently. Oh yes, I remember the bristol track very well.

Check this out
http://www.foothillsbmx.com/Photos/Bristolbmx/BristolBMX.htm

+Quote Post
JordanJR
post Jul 7 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #8

A Pro

'The Launcher'; Joe Daugherty, myself and a friend of his built that when the 'No Doubles' ban was placed. A Jump, then a roller...
Falcon Field had been changed from just last Year when I rode on an off-day. Looks really good, and the last two-straights are a challange. A 'smaller version' of your Torrington finish.
Thanks for the link!

QUOTE (Proger @ Jul 7 2010, 07:38 AM) *
Okay redone from when you raced in the eighties a number of times. I thought you meant recently. Oh yes, I remember the bristol track very well.

Check this out
http://www.foothillsbmx.com/Photos/Bristolbmx/BristolBMX.htm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 08:03 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees