Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rockford 2010 Top Three Finishers Per Class
MikeCarruth
post Jun 24 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Here are the final three place results per People's Choice class. Three places was all I had time to tabulate, as it is a fairly labor-intensive process.

Entry # | Member Name | Frame or Build Name | # Votes

People's Choice Category

Best 70s Race Bike
53 Todd Koutny FMF Team Replica 13
50 Greg Chermack 1979 Sting 11
52 Bill Nicholson 1974 Yamaha Moto Bike 9

Best 80s Race Bike
111 Richard J Bailey 1984 slingshot pro 13
118 Chris Norris 1988 Auburn CR20 R 9
119 Kelly Waggoner 1982 Redline Pro Line-II 8

Best 90s Race Bike
201 Jason Parratt 1999 gt speed series 18
200 Jay Doyle 95 CycleCraft Pro XL 16
202 Todd Britton 1996 Secret Cycles NC-17 10

Best Cruiser
306 Don Fogler GHP 17
301 Jeff Tollefson 1981 Torker 26" Cruiser 9
302 jason parratt bandito cruiser 9

Best Freestyle
419 Brian Koenig 1986 Redline RL20 ii 23
408 Nathan R Dahill 1987 Boss Pro Freestyler 9
401 Wil Gonzalez 84 GJS Freestyler 7

Best Mini
500 Chris Campbell 1981/SE/Ripper 24
501 Jeff Tollefson 1984 Torker Mini 11
503 John DeBruin CW Racing Phase1 Jr. 9

Best Pit
600 Jeff Tollefson 1981 DG Pit bike 30
602 Robyn Markland 1976 Redline Squareback Pit 15
*There were no other valid ballots voted in this class

Best Retro
706 Todd Koutny 2010 Webco 24" Monoshock 29
705 Brian Koenig Redline RL20 ii Retro 7
711 Tom Kirk 2009 Knight Pro-Former 5

Best Custom
801 Jason Adamski 1985 CW California Freestyle 24
800 Derek Booth 75 mongoose 12
803 Dan Fokema GT Pro Freestyle Tour 11

Open Class Winner
901 Chip Bowers Custom Scooter 25
903 Alan May 2008 Eastern Ace Of Spades 5
906 Yuto Tatsumi 2007 Kuwahara KZ-1 R 4

People's Choice Best In Show
D Chris Campbell 1981/SE/Ripper 19
G Todd Koutny FMF Team Replica 12
F Todd Koutny 2010 Webco 24" Monoshock 11

Judged Category

Best 70s Race Bike
001 Jeff Tollefson Dennis Dain custom Cook Bros

Best 80s Race Bike
019 Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros.

Best Freestyle
041 Jeff Tollefson 1984 Torker Freestylist

Best Cruiser
030 Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros. 24" Cruiser

Judged Best In Show
Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros. (80s class)

*Note: First-through-third for the judged category does not exist. All results that are available are now posted.

Congratulations to all the winners...and to those of you who got second or third...I'm sure you'll get 'em next year.

Best,

M
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wdesign
post Jun 24 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,691

Thanks Mike, Great show!

+Quote Post
AGUILAR3
post Jun 24 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Intermediate

Member No.: 10,700

People's Choice class

you had 2 Judging classes with 2 sets of trophies?

It looks like the 24" Webco mono and the gold RL both should have been in the Custom class.

How was this not caught?

+Quote Post
ColoredTuffs.com
post Jun 24 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #4

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Advertisers
Member No.: 1,824

That certainly could have been brought up, as the rules that Mike came up with last year state that a "one-off" is supposed to be in the Custom class. It would have been different in this situation if Standard sold that frame, even in limited numbers, to the general public.
The rules do state that an issue like this is supposed to be brought up in written form, by 2 members of the voting community and handed to a VintageBMX.com official, before the polls close, so that the bike can be switched into the correct class.
Apparently nobody followed through on that, so the bike remained in the retro class.

That's why it's important for everybody to know the "rules of competition!"

+Quote Post
nvmyslowride
post Jun 24 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 21,204

if Standard sold that frame, even in limited numbers, to the general public.

If you want one, I am sure they will build you one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Jun 24 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (ColoredTuffs.com @ Jun 24 2010, 04:23 PM) *
That certainly could have been brought up, as the rules that Mike came up with last year state that a "one-off" is supposed to be in the Custom class. It would have been different in this situation if Standard sold that frame, even in limited numbers, to the general public.
The rules do state that an issue like this is supposed to be brought up in written form, by 2 members of the voting community and handed to a VintageBMX.com official, before the polls close, so that the bike can be switched into the correct class.
Apparently nobody followed through on that, so the bike remained in the retro class.

That's why it's important for everybody to know the "rules of competition!"

You pegged it, Ed. Had someone gotten together and lodged a protest, the show marshals may have taken some action. I've heard it said that those people did not want to be jerks about things, so let it go at the show. That is unfortunate. People decried the extent of the rules leading up to the show, but I tried my best to build an architecture where issues like this could be addressed in an objective way, by the people who have a stake in the class. Not "concerned citizens," but the guys who stand to win or lose the most.

If, somehow, this discussion is directed at the show management for not stepping in and pulling the entry, all I can say is without an official "roll-by" review panel to say "thumbs up/thumbs-down" on EVERY entry before they are given their tags, I feel it is unfair for the show marshals to go out on the hunt looking for reasons to black flag entries, until and unless there is a bona-fide protest by people in the class in question.

One thing about successful protests though: If a protest is made, and an entry is adjudged to be in the wrong class after voting has started, it is disqualified from the show...it cannot be re-classified and given a new tag. If before voting has started, it can be given a new tag, at the discretion of the show marshals.

As far as the gold plated bike, the rules of the 2010 show state that "if the 'nude" (no paint, no decals) appearance of an entry is unaltered from a factory-built product, then it is permitted in the people's choice category without being considered a custom"

The reason for this is one of "how deep do you take it?" If you are not going to allow non-factory gold or copper plating, then you really should not allow anything but original factory finishes, because the spirit of re-coating is the same as plating in a non-factory metal. Granted, there are degrees between a modern green and an Anlun Green that are nearly identical, and a finish that the factory never offered in the first place. But how do you stop someone from protesting on the basis that it is a few shades or tones lighter or darker than factory? Technically, the factory never offered that either. Do we rent one of those color computers from Benjamin Moore? I am not being facetious...it would really be helpful if we are splitting hairs to that degree.

All the while, this is a show which is free to enter (except for the last minute, on-site entries), and the total expense of producing the show is born by the show promoter based on banquet and raffle ticket sales.

I read on another site that someone questioned the origin of the pads on Chris Campbell's Best In Show build because the blue was too dark. Astute observation. So if a person shows up next year with a green Haro Master that is a shade or two off of factory fresh, then what? Technically, THAT is not an original color either. So, if the bike is primo in every other way (as primo as a re-coated build can get, at least), but has been re-chromed or re-powdered, should it be in with the customs on that basis? Personally, I don't think so. This is why we decided to do the "judged" category. So finishes or parts that were more-modern-than-original could be evaluated critically by the judges and "docked" on that basis, if they felt that was appropriate. The People's Choice category would be more about what each individual voter thinks is best. People dig bling, so they voted for it. It is a People's choice category, afterall, so the collective wisdom of what the people think is cool is going to come out. If you, as an entrant, are not comfortable with that, the Judged category awaits.

The Judged class has been established to be the "Expert" class, where the all-original big boy builds play, and you might lose due to an improper valve stem (not to say such a thing happened this year).

In the past two years, we have added the Open class and the Custom class to try and bring the entries that have caused questions in years past out of the general population. I really do not see adding any other classes. Maybe, in the Post Mortem thread that is yet to come, we can discuss how to address the exotic finishes debate in a way that makes everyone happy, and does not create unexpected paradoxes in other areas of the show.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
AGUILAR3
post Jun 24 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #7

Intermediate

I agree with you on the comment JJR made about the SE pad set being a shade darker then the original..all this from looking at a picture with pads that are 28 yrs old (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ....totally absurd and asinine.

He may be right though. They may indeed be repops...but at least confirm that they are repops before making such comment

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Jun 24 2010, 03:41 PM) *
The Judged class has been established to be the "Expert" class, where the all-original big boy builds play, and you might lose due to an improper valve stem .

Why not post the "EXPERT" results. The ones that really matter.

+Quote Post
gnarlyman
post Jun 24 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Expert

Member No.: 2,673

Why not post the "EXPERT" results. The ones that really matter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The results are posted up above with Peoples Choice, Judged, and Best in Show

Great bikes for all that entered the event!

+Quote Post
AGUILAR3
post Jun 24 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #9

Intermediate

I see it now. This is what I wanted to see

Thanks

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ Jun 24 2010, 07:13 AM) *
Judged Category

Best 70s Race Bike
001 Jeff Tollefson Dennis Dain custom Cook Bros

Best 80s Race Bike
019 Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros.

Best Freestyle
041 Jeff Tollefson 1984 Torker Freestylist

Best Cruiser
030 Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros. 24" Cruiser

Judged Best In Show
Jeff Tollefson 1981 Cook Bros. (80s class)

This post has been edited by MikeCarruth: Jun 24 2010, 07:50 PM
Reason for edit: added "(80s class)" to best in show

+Quote Post
70ripper
post Jun 24 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,581

Brians RL is no diff. than having it rechromed. It's a finish like any other, just a little pricier. Come to the show, and enter a bike. Then you have a leg to stand on when you want to complain. I made comments regarding the Webco, but, I was there, and entered a bike. It doesn't mean you're not entitled to your opinion, but, I don't think it carries as much weight. IMO.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 10:26 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees