Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Late 70's PA Tracks, Late 70's PA Tracks
Rannelator
post May 2 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,566

Anyone remember a track in the Williamsport / Lock Haven, PA, area? I raced there for the very first time ever in my life in 1978. I found that trophy and the name on the trophy is John's Derailleurs. I'm thinkin' this is a bike shop, might be the name of the track... BTW: this track was the most unimproved, rough, track I was ever on. No gate, just "get ready, get set, go!". LOL There was even a section that was grass. Forget about banked turns.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mxer746
post May 4 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 14,134

QUOTE (Rannelator @ May 2 2010, 10:52 AM) *
Anyone remember a track in the Williamsport / Lock Haven, PA, area? I raced there for the very first time ever in my life in 1978. I found that trophy and the name on the trophy is John's Derailleurs. I'm thinkin' this is a bike shop, might be the name of the track... BTW: this track was the most unimproved, rough, track I was ever on. No gate, just "get ready, get set, go!". LOL There was even a section that was grass. Forget about banked turns.

I remember the chalk boxes on the ground before the gate went in at NP. Love to see pics from the Lock Haven track if you have any. unimproved rough tracks, thats moto. I dig it.

+Quote Post
Racer
post May 5 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 6,493

Johns was a shop in State College it was run I think by ABA President Clayton John. He made a big splash on the ABA radar when he ran the East Coast Nationals in 81 at State College PA track. Clayton would go from a local PA track operator to president of the ABA. Meanwhile the NBL President Bob Tedesco was also a former PA track operator out of Pittsburgh.
My first PA race was in 78 at Blacktrack in Saylorsburgh, PA. It was non sanctioned.
I raced Lakeview Amusement Park in Royersford in 79.

+Quote Post
Racer
post Jun 25 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 6,493

Anyone else race PA in the 70's?

+Quote Post
JeffreyC
post Jun 27 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,365

I raced in the 70's! I remember racing a track in Penn State run by I think CJ, is that the Williamsport / Lock Haven track you mentioned? It was mostly down-hill with some big turns, I always raced late in the evening under the lights. By the way CJ brother lived two doors down from me in Plum PA.

This post has been edited by JeffreyC: Jun 27 2012, 10:13 AM

+Quote Post
Gavved
post Jun 28 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 27,463

I didnt race in PA in the 70's but my dad told me there was a track in Sunburry called the Sunbowl.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:48 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees