Reply to this topicStart new topic
jw chain wheels, problems/issues
circleinasun
post Apr 9 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,461

just posted this in bmx racing, so did it here too.

sent this email to jw. has anyone ever had any problems with jw chainwheels?
email...
Seems when the chainwheel has tension on the chain there is a small bit of play during putting pressure on the down stroke of the pedals. I can see the chainwheel move slightly forward in the chain. Thought it was my cassette, but let a few friends look at it, described the problem, and they confirmed. The chainwheel moves slightly forward in the chain. Im running a drop buster 3/32 chain. Have checked my chain and others with a micrometer to measure the size of the barrels of the chain(the part that sits in the teeth, and they are all the same. So to check it again I put lots of tension on the chain, using chain tensioners, and the problem is very evident.

Seems the chainwheel teeth are not spaced correctly, or the barrels of the chain don’t give a tight fit, which leads to the chainwheel moving slightly forward inside the chain. Have you ever heard of this happening to others? What do you suggest to remedy this problem? Is this a flaw in the design?

Please respond to this email ASAP to let me know what you think and your response to my questions/concerns.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Apr 10 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

It sounds to me like your chain might have stretched a bit. I've never had a problem with JW chainrings. They have always been perfect.

+Quote Post
nvmyslowride
post Apr 10 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 21,204

I just rode my 125R at the skatepark today with my 44T J&W. NOT A SINGLE ISSUE and smooth as butter with my sram chain. I have alot of J&W PRODUCTS. very high end stuff..

I got mine 2nd hand, but like new and its 100% true. Just took a brand new profile imperial out of the package for a buddys bike, and its bent and its package fresh...

This post has been edited by nvmyslowride: Apr 10 2010, 09:29 AM

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Apr 10 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

QUOTE (nvmyslowride @ Apr 10 2010, 09:51 AM) *
I got mine 2nd hand, but like new and its 100% true. Just took a brand new profile imperial out of the package for a buddys bike, and its bent and its package fresh...

Those things are pure garbage. I went through three of them last season when I was running flights and couldn't find a good one.

+Quote Post
joelwitte
post Apr 10 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 21,182

QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Apr 10 2010, 08:33 AM) *
It sounds to me like your chain might have stretched a bit. I've never had a problem with JW chainrings. They have always been perfect.

this is exactly what i'm thinking too
i have never done this, as most don't, but it is highly recommended to put on a new chain whenever you put on a new front sprocket, i'm not honestly sure how this relates to cogs and freewheels

i do know of several people that have chains specific to each different gear they run, so that way whenever they change gearing for whatever reason they always have the same chain on that goes with any certain gear so there is never a question of one or the other being "worn" differently
this way they will always be mated to each other... follow me

QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Apr 10 2010, 10:45 AM) *
Those things are pure garbage. I went through three of them last season when I was running flights and couldn't find a good one.

i know what your saying completely, but i have some newer ones that are great as well as some others that are really old that are great that i won't part with because i remember getting some bad ones years ago

i just wish they'd make some 19mm specific ones to fit their spindles, those damn hat washers suck

+Quote Post
circleinasun
post Apr 11 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 23,461

QUOTE (Brandon002 @ Apr 10 2010, 08:33 AM) *

talked to a few people who mentioned chains not being compatable with certain gears. stretching chains???
gonna try a new one...

thanks

+Quote Post
race_inc
post Apr 11 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

From: Ottawa, IL. ......where Abraham Lincoln debated Stephen A. Douglas for the first time.
Member No.: 1,207

QUOTE (joelwitte @ Apr 10 2010, 01:08 PM) *
i just wish they'd make some 19mm specific ones to fit their spindles, those damn hat washers suck

Hey Joel, go to their website, they do make them with 19mm bores.

+Quote Post
joelwitte
post Apr 11 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #8

AA Pro

no kidding?
man, do i feel like a newb

+Quote Post
race_inc
post Apr 11 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

From: Ottawa, IL. ......where Abraham Lincoln debated Stephen A. Douglas for the first time.
Member No.: 1,207

QUOTE (joelwitte @ Apr 11 2010, 08:55 PM) *
no kidding?
man, do i feel like a newb

Check it out here!

+Quote Post
joelwitte
post Apr 11 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #10

AA Pro

oh ya, i knew jw made 19mm specific, top notch gears

i was refering to profile though, they don't though... correct? just the .875" bore?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 09:42 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees