Skyway Streetbeat
mr coasterbrake
post Dec 28 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 249

2 things i'm familiar with that could be the answer:

a lot of companies would repaint blem frames or "dead" colors they got stuck with. i saw this often BITD at the shop assembling bikes.

one of places that bought a large quantity of old stock frames from Skyway in the late '90s did have some of them repainted. a lot of those were on eBay 7-10ish years ago, sometimes with a color-matched fork of a different brand.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iluvretrobmx2
post Dec 31 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #17

Expert

Member No.: 20,018

Here's my Streetbeat!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4737/85streetbeat.jpg

This post has been edited by iluvretrobmx2: Dec 31 2011, 03:28 AM

+Quote Post
oldschoolrider88
post Dec 31 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #18

AA Pro

Member No.: 4,608

How high can you bunnyhop on it?
And wheres the speedometer?

+Quote Post
iluvretrobmx2
post Dec 31 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #19

Expert

Member No.: 20,018

That's an old pic of my Streatbeat. I sold the old mags and got new sealed bearing Lavender Skyways for it. The Elina seat broke and I put a white Dominator seat on it. Yeah, I added a speedometer to it.

I hardly did bmx tricks in 2011. I mostly biked for transportation, looked for a job, and played video games. So my bunnyhop muscles have atrophied. Don't remember how well my Streetbeat bunnyhops.

+Quote Post
Master Jim
post Jan 6 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #20

Intermediate

Member No.: 10,118

I have an 85 frame in green (NOS but no decals, in the Skyway box) if anyone is looking for one. I have a matching pair of green NOS bars too.

I thought it would make a great rider, but I already have too many Haros to stray at this point in my life.

(Yes, it's light, and USA made!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

PM me if interested. I'd rather it go here than the e"Bay of Pigs".

I'll probably post it in the for sale section too, but I'm lazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
2FRESH
post Jan 11 2012, 02:40 AM
Post #21

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,733

So is there OTHER THAN USA-made made '85 Street Beats?? I always thought all Street Beat were made in USA

+Quote Post
Master Jim
post Jan 12 2012, 06:59 AM
Post #22

Intermediate

QUOTE (2FRESH @ Jan 11 2012, 09:40 AM) *
So is there OTHER THAN USA-made made '85 Street Beats?? I always thought all Street Beat were made in USA

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not.

Not everyone knows they were USA made. I don't even know if the later Street Beats were USA made, because I never owned any others.

Therefore, I made the statement for those who might be wondering, not those who already know it is USA made.

+Quote Post
Pauly
post Jan 12 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #23

My sig pic is HUGE!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 2,296

There's a rumor running rampant that Skyway is going to start making frames again. I can only hope that those will also be made in the US.

+Quote Post
Master Jim
post Jan 12 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #24

Intermediate

That's interesting! I wonder if it will be a modern interpretation or a reproduction? (will it be 1" steerer and 3/8 axles or larger on both accounts for example)

I do have to say that the 85 Street Beat is significantly lighter than the 85 Master.

I never rode one back in the day, but always like the 86 color schemes they had on the street beat. The big 'stripe' across the top and down tubes was quite sharp looking I thought. I had considered stickering this frame as an 86 but I have too many other projects already and need to focus on my main interest: Haro Masters.

I'm sure whoever ends up with this frame I have will be pleased with it.

+Quote Post
The R
post Jan 12 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #25

A Pro

Member No.: 12,277

QUOTE (Pauly @ Jan 12 2012, 03:08 PM) *
There's a rumor running rampant that Skyway is going to start making frames again. I can only hope that those will also be made in the US.

Pauly, you've probably already seen this, but Planet BMX is taking pre-orders for a new T/A cruisers. They will not be made in the U.S., unfortunately, because they couldn't find the tubing they wanted in the U.S. They look really cool, though, and the quality looks outstanding based on the pictures that were posted. Master Jim -- they are "retro" -- old looks with modern updates like v-brake mounts and 1-1/8 head tubes, Euro bottom brackets, etc. Whether this is just a one-and-done run, or the beginning of a continuous manufacturing of frames, I don't know. I'd love to buy a white one. I had holes burning in my pockets a few years back when they first started talking about these, but since then I've kind of cooled off on buying BMX bikes. But a new fram with some 24-inch tuffs is awfully tempting.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:21 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees