Reply to this topicStart new topic
New mountain bike recommendations.
bmxdeputy
post Apr 9 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,281

any suggestions on a new mountain bike? i am not going to race it i want to use it for general riding. i race bmx and was looking at a mtb for some endurance and cardio.

aq (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaybird
post Apr 10 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #2

Novice

Member No.: 20,995

What's your budget look like? How tech/gnarly are the trails you'll be riding? I own three mtbs... a fully rigid, hardtail & full squish. The hardtail sees the most mileage.

The HT is a '07 Cannondale F3 Caffeine w/ lockout & disc brakes. It's about 26# and I prolly have $1100 invested in it. Really nice ride & I love using the C'dale's front suspension lock-out when I hit the fireroads/pavement. I ride it on really rooty/rocky trails & on mountain trails in NC... Dupont, Pisgah, Bent Creek just to name a few & I love it. If you're looking at hitting the slopes on some really tech trails you my want to consider a 4-6" trail/AM bike.

If all you're really looking at is a decent steed just to cross train to help in BMX then you prolly could find something around the $350-550 range new... Specialized HardRock, Cannondale F8/F9, Trek 4500... you know, pretty much all the big brands will have something for you in this range.

As a current C'dale owner I'm partial to that brand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS3.html

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS8.html

+Quote Post
JordanJR
post Apr 12 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 19,439

DIAMONDBACK has some terrific offerings this, and last, year. If you can allow about $2200, you will find a great bike in the MISSION and the SORTIE. 6", 5" or 4" and a good ride.
The RESPONSE HT is a real sleeper of a bike. Was going to build this frame for my Dual Slalom but have chosen to just alter my bikes attitude. IRONHORSE HT.
Also KHS (Knowledge, Health, Strength) makes alot of great bikes, ROAD, MTN, and URBAN.
Just be sure to get a good fit; alter your cockpit w/ stem lengths if the frame feels right. Wider bars will slow the steering and make it tractable, and narrower will make the bike zip along with an eye only upon cadence.

+Quote Post
Just JeffB now
post Apr 12 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,763

The specialized Epic is an incredible bike. You can pick up the `08 for a bargain if you look hard.

Gary Fisher designs their frames in a manner that does well with BMX riders. The geometry is sweet and they are outfitted well. The piranha is a decent ride for under a grand.

You`ll get some recommendations for a boutique ride, and I`ll have to throw in Yeti for that one, but you did say more or less casual riding, and the Yeti price tag does not indicate any form of casual riding.

+Quote Post
bikedave
post Apr 13 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,074

Size and fit is priority #1. Forget at first what name is on the frame. Go to the LBS and ride EVERYTHING. As previous poster stated, your trail and riding conditions can specify same characteristics you want to look for. Find what fits you best. Make the tech fit you for everything you test ride. NOT a sales pitch, but I am a 12+ year MTB mechanic and build frame ups. If you find a frame that fits, feel free to contact me and we can build you a 2000 dollar rig, (or you can), for half the cost if you are dilligent and patient about shopping.
Feel free to contact me with some further question's or suggestions.
As another previous poster mentioned, you can catch a player deal on a DB, owned by Raleigh at Dick's Sporting Good's. They make a 29'er called an overdrive that is set up with a Deore Gruppo for like 500 bucks. An '08 Sortie or Mission if you want hydro's and longer travel can be found there as well for cheap. I am not a huge fan of DB's, as most offerings are quite heavy for their catagories and the fork offerings suck, but you do get alot of bike for the $, and just like BMX, they are easily upgradable.
If it is truly just for fitness and Cardio, light trail or paved trail, consider too a tri-cross bike. I would be happy to give you a few suggestions in that catagory as well.
Happy hunting and let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help.

This post has been edited by bikedave: Apr 13 2009, 03:43 AM

+Quote Post
Paul Springer
post Apr 13 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 8,111

QUOTE (Just JeffB now @ Apr 13 2009, 12:41 AM) *
Gary Fisher designs their frames in a manner that does well with BMX riders. The geometry is sweet and they are outfitted well. The piranha is a decent ride for under a grand.

+1

I have a Gary Fisher X-Caliber (29er) and I love it! Great bang for the buck.

(IMG:http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2009/420x264/xcal.jpg)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:42 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees