IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Poll of Maryland tracks
Your favorite Maryland BMX track
What was your favorite Maryland BMX track (roughly ~1979-85ish)
Rockville - Gude Drive [ABA] [ 3 ] ** [15.79%]
Rockville - I-270, bus station [ABA] [ 3 ] ** [15.79%]
Columbia [ABA] [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
75-80, Monrovia [NBL, ABA?] [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Middletown - off I-70 [ABA] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Cockeysville [ABA] [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Overlea / Fullerton / Baltimore / E. Fitzhugh [ABA] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Millersville [ABA] [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Howard County Fairgrounds, indoors, West Friendship [ABA] [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Howard County Fairgrounds, outdoors, West Friendship [ABA] [ 5 ] ** [26.32%]
Ocean City - in the open air basement garage 1/81(?) [ABA] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Ocean City - indoors 1/82(?) [ABA] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Timonium / Baltimore - indoor race (81?) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Cumberland (? Frostburg?) - ride over the roots of a tree [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
College Park - really?? [ABA] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
What was your favorite Maryland based BMX team (roughly ~1979-85ish)
Rockville BMX bike shop [ 7 ] ** [36.84%]
The System BMX [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Atlantic Cycles [ 3 ] ** [15.79%]
Hutch BMX [ 4 ] ** [21.05%]
40 West Gulf [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Flying Wheels [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Allen Backhoe [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
[Other 1 - see thread] [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
[Other 2 - see thread] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
[Other 3 - see thread] [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
[Other 4 - see thread] [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Who was your favorite Maryland based track operator, vendor or announcer (roughly ~1979-85ish)
Bill Milburn - Rockville [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Mr. Allen - Howard County Fairgrounds [ 6 ] ** [31.58%]
Beverungens - Columbia [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
The Big B - Brian Lowry - 75-80 [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Mr. Matthews - Millersville [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Ernie Fitzhugh - Overlea / Fullerton [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Mr. Hutchins [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Jay Metzler - Rockville BMX [ 6 ] ** [31.58%]
Len Weed - The System BMX [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
DeLuxxBmxMidWest
post Jan 10 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #21

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,679

QUOTE (Brian B @ Jan 8 2009, 11:10 PM) *

This was the track we visited BITD.

Corriganville/Cumberland in 1981?!? MD-1.

Corriganville, MD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mresailor
post Jan 10 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #22

Intermediate

Member No.: 14,493

@ Steve Smith - I think that you are confusing Columbia with Howard County outdoor. Howard County had that aligator "water jump" in the pro section with the long first turn with no burm...

I used to live at both tracks.. mostly Howard County from 82 to about 90... And I lived within biking distance of Columbia - that track wasn't all that great, but it was close..

@ Deluxx - I don't know if thats Neal or not - I will call him this afternoon to see if he can get in here and see what all the hub-bub is about and say hi to everyone... but I can't imagine Neal and Kenny for that matter - being all that computer friendly...

+Quote Post
mresailor
post Jan 10 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #23

Intermediate

Member No.: 14,493

Anybody remember "Fair Week" at Howard County - two races a day for 7 days straight during the county fair... my dad was a track official back then and that was his "vacation" every year...

Also, anyone rememeber these? I found them from a guy online about a year ago - been planning on getting some re-made (NOS?) and selling on ebay....

(IMG:http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4456/rockvillestickersgg7.gif)

+Quote Post
Brian B
post Jan 10 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #24

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 491

This was the track we visited BITD.

Corriganville/Cumberland in 1981?!? MD-1.

Corriganville, MD

Corriganville was the first track we had. 1981 sounds right. If Troy Rouzers pics are dated that then I'm sure thats the right year.
Jeff Kerr's Freeway BMX was opened about year later in Frostburg, MD and operated for close to five years. We had a few state qualifiers there and they had a half decent turnout of riders.
Deluxx- I have quite a few pictures from that qualifier thats posted above. What bike and age class were you racing?

This post has been edited by Brian B: Jan 10 2009, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
DeLuxxBmxMidWest
post Jan 10 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #25

Intermediate

QUOTE (Brian B @ Jan 10 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Deluxx- I have quite a few pictures from that qualifier thats posted above. What bike and age class were you racing?

We went there either 81 or 82. Looking at the pic, it's the same track, but I think we may have gone another day. Not sure. I would have been riding the 17 & over expert class and cruiser if there were enough people. I vaguely recall the cruiser was almost falling off the back of the gate. I forget what kind of race it was: double points? other occasion? What I recall is that I had a white jersey and yellow pants. Maybe our Torker jersey or DeLux BMX. Maybe just post them on flickr and/or a few here. Other people may be in pics.

+Quote Post
mdmike
post Jan 11 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,532

i see the 2 ocean city indoor tracks listed but there was alot more than that on the shore. there was the track at behind the montego bay shopping center and also at the old skate park [rolling surf skatepark rip] which was called wheels,wheels,wheels and was ran by steve harmon. both of those tracks kinda sucked but it was where i got my start and they are very special to me. the best track on the shore was salisbury bmx raceway run by wayne condon and bob graves. we modeled the starting hill after millersville and it was a cool speed track. i think i ran a 46-16. it lasted for maybe5 or 6 years and was home to factory profile rider mitch watkins who was a teammate of mine on the bikesmith team.

+Quote Post
DeLuxxBmxMidWest
post Jan 14 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #27

Intermediate

I rode for Rockville BMX for a day!

Jay Metzler (Rockville BMX) is currently tied for the most popular track operator / vendor / announcer in MD Old School history, and is currently the #1 MD based team, and the 2 Rockville tracks combined are #1 (amazing the landfill track is #3, even ahead of Columbia and Millersville).

Here is a pic of me with a Rockville BMX jersey on maybe early 1981, riding a Moosegoose at 75-80 (Monrovia, MD).

(IMG:http://www.spaceportlounge.com/bmx/moosegoose.jpg)

One time Larry and I tagged along in his van to Memphis (Knoxville?), and we were driving along with Scott Lowe's father in another van. Funny story. I think Jay taped a big pic on the back of the Lowe's van on the spare tire at a rest stop without them knowing. Absolutely hilarious. I think somebody was poking at it with a stick.

+Quote Post
kpmorgan2
post Jan 14 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 19,652

I'll never forget the water jump at Howard County's outdoor track or how steep the gate was at the Howard County indoor track. I remember wrapping my bikes in garbage bags as we drove through all kinds of nasty winter weather to get to the indoor races. Good stuff!

+Quote Post
Rebel Rouzer
post Jan 17 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #29

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 834

Corriganville was the first track we had. 1981 sounds right.
What's up Brian? Hope you're doing well. As for Corriganville, I tried to pin point the dates and I believe the first race was Sept. 14, 1980. It was ABA for the first year or so, then went NBL. I think it closed early in '83 about the time when Jeff's Freeway BMX opened. Corriganville was pretty rough, but it was 1980 and that was the first time we got to experience BMX and we loved it no matter how bad the track was. If someone told me they would give me 100 million dollars to erase all the early bmx memories from my mind, I'd tell them to keep their money. If I close my eyes and sit in silence I can almost go right back to that time. I hear the generator going and "Another One Bites the Dust" blaring from the loudspeaker. I can see Tammy Ours and Shelley DeHaven helping with sign-ups. I had a crush on both of them. Of course, my love of women always seemed to get in the way of my love for bmx. Still does to this very day, lol.

I'll move on to the Frostburg track, Jeff's Freeway BMX. This track was way more technical than anything any of us hicks in the mountains were used to riding. That pic of Stumbaugh and Grimm is taken on the first jump. That would be the same one I broke my wrist on in '83. BTW, that is such a cool pic Brian, I know I've told you that before, but I love it. I gotta give major props to my good friend Jeff Kerr who started this track and eventually opened Jeff's Total BMX, a shop in Frostburg. He would get an idea in his head and see it all the way through. I wish he would've been sitting with us at our table Brian. You know, Rockford '05? That would have made the whole experience even better. Hell, I wish all of us Cumberland boys could've been there together for that event. Anyways, thanks for the stroll down memory lane, I ride down there a lot. I'm still trying to sharpen my "mediocre" bmx skills yet today. It is a whole different sport than it was back then though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
UsBoss4life
post Jan 25 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #30

Expert

Member No.: 12,666

I raced at waldorf bmx track every weekend,those were the good ole days.love to go back and do it again

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 03:10 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees