ARAYA vs UKAI
QuicksilverBMX
post Oct 8 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Yipeee!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 3,954

One thing that has really surprised me lately is that Ukai rims seem to be going alot cheaper than Arayas.
I find it unusual as Ukai rims (box type) are the same as araya 7c and the annodizing is identical as well.
I have Araya AND Ukai rims on my builds and I would like to know what other peoples thought are on the subject. Here is one of my favourite builds with Ukai rims on it (now shinyside soon to be full gold Ukais with SB suzue hubs)
(IMG:http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/VNSVLE/IMG_1480.jpg)
(IMG:http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/VNSVLE/IMG_1481.jpg)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kurt.
post Oct 8 2008, 02:59 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,442

The Ukais are a great rim. BITD I ran a 7C on the front and a Ukai on the rear. Ukais seem to be a tad more rounded/convex than the 7C, but it's very subtle.

+Quote Post
omartcruisers
post Oct 8 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #3

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 17,477

I was more of a Ukai guy than an Araya guy until Sun really hit the scene. I remember Ukai's being really tough. Kuwahara's stock bikes in the mid 80's had Ukai's and I had a set of pink ones on my black PK.

+Quote Post
svt_pony
post Oct 8 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 6,986

I found it easier to pronounce Araya.

I still can't say Ukai correctly... You Kay I.... You Ka ee.... U kaaahhhh... oh whatever.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

They both are great rims.

+Quote Post
B. Apold
post Oct 8 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #5

BradApoldSucks.com

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,970

I had all of them and IMO, the Ukia'a were stronger and had better chrome. I think Araya's had better colors, especially the 7b's, which are my all time favorite.

+Quote Post
jerry a hutcher
post Oct 8 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #6

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,310

Alloy rims..they both had equal strenth...but the ukai with spped lines looked way cooler..........

+Quote Post
Jsea73
post Oct 8 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #7

A Pro
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,169

Great question, A friend and I were just talking about this yeasterday, I just came across a few sets of NOS Araya, 7c's, 7x's and 1 set of Ukai's the one's that look like 7c's,

I can tell you that the set of Ukai's feel lighter than the Araya's don't know if they really are,

Around here Ukai's didn't have the rep like Araya's did, your bike was considered a little cheeper if you had them, well that was in my neighborhood at least,

So I was thinking of what sets of rims I wanted to Keep and what Set I wanted to either trade or keep to Build,

I think I'm going to Keep the Ukai's Because the Araya's seem like they would bring More Money, and the color on the Ukai's seems faded so I'm going to do the oven cleaner trick and strip the Ano off them,

To be honest looking Back now I think the Ukai Speed line rims looked better than most rims, they were pretty sweet looking,

speaking of the ano finish on the two brands, I found all of these rims in the same place, they weren't in any sunlight, but the ano on the Ukai's looked pink instead of the deeper red that is on the Araya's was this common did ukai's fade more that the Araya's or did their red Ano look a little more Pink ???

This post has been edited by Jsea73: Oct 8 2008, 01:15 PM

+Quote Post
B. Apold
post Oct 8 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #8

BradApoldSucks.com

Member No.: 2,970

I forgot to mention, Chrome rims in general sucked when they got wet...

+Quote Post
VAbmxdad
post Oct 8 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 1,907

I always used Arayas bitd. I had Redlines with red parts & the red anno on the Arayas was much better color. The Ukais always looked faded.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 03:32 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees