Guests cannot vote 
n2o
post Jul 13 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 1,515

I'm only 5'7" but one of the most comfortable bikes to just "ride" was my old 26" King Sting. I'm sure plenty of bigger guys would feel very comfortable on this 29"er. It looks cool, plus if it fits you vbetter than a 20" it will prompt you to actually ride your bike more often, which is a good thing.

BTW Alex (pk ripped), you mentioned that this bike just isn't bmx to you. I understand what you're saying, but SE has other bikes in their lineup that aren't bmx at all. Take a look at their single speed catagory. It doesn't surprise me at all that they would market this type of bike. It's just enough bmx to lure some of the bmxers to try their single speed lineup.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lonewolf
post Jul 13 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #17

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 15,933

QUOTE (Brian L @ Jul 13 2008, 02:28 AM) *
I am nearly 6'2 and weigh well over 200 lbs (yes, I know I could stand to lose some weight) and to be honest, I just can't get comfortable on a 20" anymore. I have a nice 2004 P.K. Ripper that rides quite nicely, but frankly, I feel a tad bit foolish at my size riding around on a 20." I also have no desire to get a road or MTB, so those are out of the question.

For us big guys to cruise around on, a 29" would be perfect. I agree that they would probably be too big to race, and once I am back in shape, I won't be afraid to take my 20" out to the track, but for a guy my size, a 20" just doesn't cut it for cruising around town, especially for any significant distance.

Dude, I totally hear ya. I'm 6'0'' 185lbs. With today's 74 Degree steering angles and the relative lack of gyroscopic stabilization offered an adult, from 20" wheels, there is a good argument for cruisers. I can admire a lot of the cruisers that members post up. I hope they keep posting them. I just think they look proportionally stupid. When compared to a 20. As well, I think some of these extremely long 20s are starting to look silly.

I will always "ride 20" and admire, from a distance, what an adult mind can come up with, for a 24"resto as an expression of art. You people continue to amaze me.

+Quote Post
oldfatugly
post Jul 13 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,874

QUOTE (Stodgy @ Jul 14 2008, 02:14 AM) *
Here's a better scan:

(IMG:http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/stodgy1/SE/bigrtipper.jpg)

Gotta say - I like it, but then again I am 6'4" tall, so perfect for me.

Stodgy can you get a better scan on the OM's? I really think I will just get another one. I do like the big ripper, but I really LOVE the OM flyer.

+Quote Post
Capt. Nemo
post Jul 13 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #19

AA Pro

Member No.: 5,720

Here are some pics direct from TL...

(IMG:http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/karltoys/BIG-RIPPER.jpg)

(IMG:http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/karltoys/BIG-RIPPER-1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Brian L
post Jul 13 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #20

AA Pro

Member No.: 65

Does anybody have any pricing info? I would love to know what one of these is going to cost.

+Quote Post
Faust Wurstkotze...
post Jul 13 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #21

A Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 9,961

Thanks Captain! I now have new wallpaper for my computer!

I'd also love to know how much they will cost... so I know how many kidneys I'll need to sell...

+Quote Post
liljuicedcoupe
post Jul 13 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #22

Novice

Member No.: 12,241

Haha, Big Ripper!!!!!....OMFJ, that's we call a loud and long fart around here! Cool bike, bad name.

+Quote Post
oldschoolrider88
post Jul 13 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #23

AA Pro

Member No.: 4,608

cool looking...but reminds me of this
(IMG:http://www.offroaders.com/directory/monster_trucks/images/bigfoot-1.jpg)

+Quote Post
pk ripped
post Jul 13 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #24

VBMX Hall Of Famer

From: wearing a sleeveless Neil Peart shirt in Mississippi
Member No.: 1,487

Quote - "BTW Alex (pk ripped), you mentioned that this bike just isn't bmx to you. I understand what you're saying, but SE has other bikes in their lineup that aren't bmx at all. Take a look at their single speed catagory."

Yeah, but they arent calling them "Road Rippers" are they (Todd, if you lift my idea, I'll need 10%, lol).

This post has been edited by pk ripped: Jul 13 2008, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
OMTEXAS
post Jul 14 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #25

Novice

Member No.: 16,286

I don't know about SE's offering, but I have the 29" Firemans Texas Cruzer, and can happily report that it's a total blast to ride. Acceleration is a little slower than on smaller wheels (I also have a K-26), but once it gets up to speed, it's like a runaway train. The big tires gobble up road chatter and really smooth out the ride. The bike itself is not as "flickable," due to the longer wheelbase, but the more I ride it, the more it feels like a normal BMX bike, in terms of handling. The steering felt sluggish at first (those big hoops have a greater gyroscope effect), but I learned that you really just have to tell the front end what to do - it's not as "telepathic" as some bikes, but it totally responds to rider input. And if you're tired of your knees kicking your chin during seated pedaling, these 29ers will be a revelation. For all day distance rides, commuting, or just messing around with the kids in the park, it's one of the most comfortable, fun bikes I've ever ridden.

(IMG:http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/Bianchijoe/CIMG2132.jpg)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 02:54 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees