Reply to this topicStart new topic
cassette hubs?, need help figuring this out
RUSSD
post May 4 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,457

cassettes are totaly new to me,and I am trying to figure out whats up with my new Redlines freewheel. Every once in a while, when I am jumping, the thing will make a noize, something like a bearing going flat sound. Bike is a last year model Redline Proline ProXl, and is brand new never ridden. Was sitting around shop since last year. I took it back to the Shop i bought it from, he gave me 1 year free maintanence on the bike. He said he took it apart and checked it, nothing seemed wrong. He rode the bike,and couldnt find anything. I ride it today, and it makes the noise at least 10-15 times in 2 hours.
What I need to know now is, how do I remove the entire cassette assembly? What tools do I need? And whats the procedure to take them apart? Thanks for any help you all can give.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Just JeffB now
post May 4 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,763

Pull the axle and you`ll put a 12 or 13mm (can`t remember which) allen wrench in from the backside. Twist it off like a freewheel (Sort of).

Those hubs are not particularly reliable. Once you get it apart, clean it VERY well and use something like Phil Wood tenacious oil to lube the driver, nothing heavier.

+Quote Post
RUSSD
post May 5 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #3

Intermediate

QUOTE (Just JeffB now @ May 4 2008, 10:18 PM) *
Those hubs are not particularly reliable. Once you get it apart, clean it VERY well and use something like Phil Wood tenacious oil to lube the driver, nothing heavier.

Thanks, I'll pull it apart later today after work. Is there a good solution to theese cassettes? Or is there a more reliable cassette on the market? Or should I switch hubs, and go with a traditional style freewheel? Just looking to make the bike reliable. I would hate to have something break or stick in the middle of a race.

+Quote Post
Just JeffB now
post May 5 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,763

Funny thing is, Redline had White Industries make their flight cassette hubs a few years ago! Makers of the best freewheels on the market, and the hubs were awesome.

It`s not hard, per se, to clean the proline hubs. And you can keep them ticking for a while with diligent service. Just pay attention to how it acts. If something is feeling or sounding wrong with it, it IS something wrong.

Yeah, there are plenty of great cassette hubs out there, as well as threaded hubs for using freewheels. Typically Crupi stuff is WAY overpriced, but their hubs are a smoking deal. Coupled with a White Industries freewheel you can`t really go wrong.

+Quote Post
RUSSD
post May 5 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Intermediate

Cool, I am going by J&R in a few, to look into alternatives. I was hoping there was just a better casette assembly I could replace this one with.
And I couldnt figure out how to take it all off, using an alen wrench. I'll get Bill at J&R to show me, hopefully.

+Quote Post
RUSSD
post May 5 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Well today was a real learning experience for me. I stopped in at J&R, I realy like this shop they are soo helpfull. Talked to them about my hubs, and was told this was a big problem with the Prolines in 06/07. Redline was replacing them witht the same hub, and it was hit or miss on if it worked for a while or not. J&R gave me, free of charge, a brand new redline proline hub. They said if I want to replace it witht the new one, I might get lucky and it will last a few months (at best). They recomended replacing it with a comepletey different hub, as you suggested JeffB. But I realy dont want to shell out a hundred bucks, or more, for a new hub and getting the rim laced and trued. I wish I knew if the other redline hub I got was any good.

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post May 6 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

yep. redline actually stopped shipment of bikes with those hubs for a while last year. the hub manufacturer (i forget who) deemed it not an issue and wouldn't replace them, so redline was kinda stuck (unless they spent $$$ themselves to replce them).

redline wasn't the only bike maker affected, but they were the only ones who tried to do something about it.

+Quote Post
RUSSD
post May 7 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #8

Intermediate

I am having the drive replaced right now. I took it back to where I bought it, Bike Pros, and brought him the hub J&R gave me. He is swapping the drives, and we are going to see how that works out. I hope it lasts long enough for me to save some money for a new whell set. Then I can just get something super reliable, and call it a day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
JConn
post Feb 1 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Intermediate

Member No.: 25,470

Bring this back from the dead,

I have been hearing a popping from my son's 2010 flight when 'freewheeling", even heard it one month after purchase. Brought it back to J&R, they removed, cleaned, and inspected but found no discrepancies. Naturally they greased it and reassembled it. After about a week the popping is was back. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
Brandon002
post Feb 1 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #10

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 22,718

QUOTE (RUSSD @ May 5 2008, 06:26 AM) *
Thanks, I'll pull it apart later today after work. Is there a good solution to theese cassettes? Or is there a more reliable cassette on the market? Or should I switch hubs, and go with a traditional style freewheel? Just looking to make the bike reliable. I would hate to have something break or stick in the middle of a race.

The best solution to those proline, unsealed cassette hubs is to replace them. My nephew races on a proline and I had to rebuild those hubs every three weeks. I finally found a set of used Sinz cassette wheels and scooped them up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:25 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees