Best 24Ē BMX Cruiser for me, Iím looking into getting a 24Ē BMX Cruiser
rborelli
post Mar 2 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,488

Hello Ė

Iím looking into getting a 24Ē BMX Cruiser to get back into racing after being out for over 25 years.
I have a few bikes that I like and would like to get some feedback on what you think might be the best bike for me.
First, Iím 44 years old and 190lbs. I used to race 20Ē bikes back around 1977 to 1981. Iím just looking to race maybe once or twice a month after I get a few months of practicing. I have a family and the closest track is at least one hour away so I know I will not be able to be racing every weekend.
Iím going to be doing this on a budget and I can tell you my wife is not happy with me doing this. She thinks we cannot afford it and I will get hurt.

Now the bikes.
1.) Kuwahara 2007 2KZ Pro 24
2.) Felt 2007 Sector 24
3.) Free Agent 2008 Ambush 24
All 3 of these bikes are under $400 and the Free Agent is under $300. They are all brand new, never been ridden bikes. Both the Free Agent and Kuwahara have 175mm cranks and both the Felt and Kuwahara come in Red, which is not my first choice of color. Iím wondering if Iím making a too-big-of-deal of having my cranks at 180mm instead of 175mm and the color of my bike?
I know I can upgrade the parts but I really donít want to change anything for at least the first year of riding.
Does anyone here have any experience with these bikes? Are they good or bad?
I know thereís other 24Ē BMX Cruisers you can get under $400, is there any particular model/brand you can recommend?

Thanks,
-R
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deluxx bmx
post Mar 2 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (rborelli @ Mar 2 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Hello Ė

Iím looking into getting a 24Ē BMX Cruiser to get back into racing after being out for over 25 years.
I have a few bikes that I like and would like to get some feedback on what you think might be the best bike for me.
First, Iím 44 years old and 190lbs. I used to race 20Ē bikes back around 1977 to 1981. Iím just looking to race maybe once or twice a month after I get a few months of practicing. I have a family and the closest track is at least one hour away so I know I will not be able to be racing every weekend.
Iím going to be doing this on a budget and I can tell you my wife is not happy with me doing this. She thinks we cannot afford it and I will get hurt.

Now the bikes.
1.) Kuwahara 2007 2KZ Pro 24
2.) Felt 2007 Sector 24
3.) Free Agent 2008 Ambush 24
All 3 of these bikes are under $400 and the Free Agent is under $300. They are all brand new, never been ridden bikes. Both the Free Agent and Kuwahara have 175mm cranks and both the Felt and Kuwahara come in Red, which is not my first choice of color. Iím wondering if Iím making a too-big-of-deal of having my cranks at 180mm instead of 175mm and the color of my bike?
I know I can upgrade the parts but I really donít want to change anything for at least the first year of riding.
Does anyone here have any experience with these bikes? Are they good or bad?
I know thereís other 24Ē BMX Cruisers you can get under $400, is there any particular model/brand you can recommend?

Thanks,
-R

all good bikes...I got back into racing last year and went with a Flight 24 Redline...that sounds like its out of your price range...check out a Proline Redline....you should be able to find a 06 or 07 proline for what you are looking to spend....Good Luck and Have Fun...

+Quote Post
Chad750
post Mar 2 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 8,838

Skip the 24", jump back on the 20". Then go for the cruiser down the road (thats my two cents worth)

+Quote Post
steve smith
post Mar 2 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 14,600

Imho id go with a clayborn ,or a crupi .You want a short rear so you can speed jump and roll doubles safely .I had a diamondback and it had like 15.25 chainstays and wouldnt speedjump a curb.This crupi came with 14.75 chainstays and i reground the dropout further to shorten the rear .
BELIEVE ME THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO PAY ATTENTION TO.
Im pretty happy with the crupi [its a pro xl] but may consider the clayborn later at 14. it outta manuall like a 20.
It s a big must for me to feel comfy on a bike and youll wreck less and ride better if your comfy ,price shouldnt be a object -1 wreck and you could be out for 6 months ..I searched those bikes you listed when looking for mine none that ii know of had less the 15. rear -you can look at the tire and how close it is to the bottom bracket and tell if its long ...my 2 cents

+Quote Post
Titanium Tim
post Mar 2 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Group: Track Management
Member No.: 8,374

Why would you recommend a Crupi to someone who just told you his budget was $400? He wants to ride a complete bike, not look at a frame.

Check out a Redline Proline. Very decent complete bikes. I don't know what their current colors are like, but unless you're set on new, check ebay for used bikes. I started out 2 and a half years ago on a Proline 24" that I picked up for $200.

+Quote Post
steve smith
post Mar 2 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #6

AA Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 14,600

QUOTE (Titanium Tim @ Mar 2 2008, 09:18 PM) *
Why would you recommend a Crupi to someone who just told you his budget was $400? He wants to ride a complete bike, not look at a frame.

Check out a Redline Proline. Very decent complete bikes. I don't know what their current colors are like, but unless you're set on new, check ebay for used bikes. I started out 2 and a half years ago on a Proline 24" that I picked up for $200.

More then the price i was saying geometry .If you get a pos that rides like a murray your going to be paying doctor bills instead of crupis overhead .I gave 100. for my whole diamond back used in oct ,and its a death trap i just wanted to pass some info /lesson i learned .
I been around the block awhile to enough to give solid info i raced 12 years in the 80s and you really should wait if you cant afford a good riding bike it really does make a difference .If anything choose the shortest rear chainstays out of the group you been looking at .Good luck

+Quote Post
King of Pipeline
post Mar 2 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #7

King of Pipeline

Member No.: 6,179

Free Agent, is the best way.. They are cheap and they're pretty big. Those newer smaller 24's are no good. You need room to move.. we're old... I got mine new for under 300.00 years ago.. and that baby is still stoke..

+Quote Post
BC34c
post Mar 2 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #8

Intermediate

Member No.: 7,608

I would try to ride whatever ones you can before you buy and get whatever is comfortable to you. If you haven't raced in 25 years chances are your not worried about how your bike manuals anyway(hell i never heard of manualling till I got back into racing 2 years ago). I've rode a bunch of different cruisers and they all seemed easy to get used to , especially if you've ridden 20". Most crashes I've seen from rookies have been riders racing over their head or ability. They would've crashed no matter what bike they had,how it manualled, or how much they spent on it. Just get one you like, that you are comfortable on, and go out and have fun. Most of our local guys would let people try their bikes out so maybe you can try checking out some bikes at your local track. good luck..

+Quote Post
mxer746
post Mar 2 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 14,134

How tall are ya? Alot of the completes have top tubes in the range of 21-21.5". That can be a tad on the cramped side for taller riders. I think supercross was doing a complete Icon series bike not sure if the cruiser is included in that run though. Have you thought about a 26er, Im getting back into bmx myself and my kappa k26 is incredible, Ill be building a 24 as well soon, but I feel really comfy on the bigger bike for now. Oh and the cranks, I dont know about you but I just dont spin as big a circle as I used to. The 175's may not be a bad choice. They are measuring frames with a new spec called "rider area" its a better way of knowing how much room a bike has for the rider. Its from ctr of bottom bracket to top center of head tube.. Just another thing to consider.
http://www.supercrossbmx.com/bikes.html

This post has been edited by mxer746: Mar 2 2008, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
cruiserxx
post Mar 3 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #10

A Pro

Member No.: 1,951

The Free Agent Ambush is a nice riding bike. I personally race a custom made S&M .38 Special.
One night at practice I got a rear flat and didn't bother bringing a spare or tools and no one had a tube to spare. We often get decent track/loaner bikes donated by local bike shops. One of the cruisers we have is a 2007 Free Agent Ambush. Not to be discouraged I hopped on the Free Agent and rode quite few laps. I have to say it rides very nice and tight. Very smooth through our rhythm section. Above average and quality componentry too. Probably the best for the money, cromoly frame a definite plus with me.
The Felt would be another good choice too, but if you don't like the color.
Redlines are always a great value as well, but there's a million of 'em out there.
Welcome back to the sport and most of all....Have Fun!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 04:23 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees