Reply to this topicStart new topic
I Am Now A Sandbaggin' Wuss...
woodybmx86
post Oct 13 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,714

Yep, that's right, sorry to all my Masters compatriots, I have had to make some decisions lately. Due to "real life" stepping in, I am now an expert again, at least for the next year... maybe. lol.
In part due to being motoed for the last year, well, in all truthfulness, the last 7 races... lol, and being completely truthful, there were two semis in there... but still no mains means no money, and that is bad, especially at 65 to 70 bucks a pop. Add in the fact that I raced so little races due to all the Elite races being so far away... 80% (or more) are in locations over 15 to 20 hours away. AND the Qualification races has been upped to 8 for Masters (it has always been 10 or so for Vet, and most of those races are far away, one of the reasons you never see me at ABA). Now the NBL season and requirements almost match that, and I just can't do it.
Add in the no-training I have been doing... street and park are just too much fun. Let's see, so I get an hour or two during the week to be on my bicycle... should I do sprints and such, or should I go ride street and such? Yeah right.

Anyway, after talking to many people, I made the decision to go down. I am sure the fast guys will welcome added competition, and I am sure the slow ones won't be happy, until they actually race me and realize they CAN beat me... lol. No, seriously, I am looking forward to racing some of the guys I used to race all the time. Should be fun.

I did go to Norwalk national, and raced one day, and endured "sandbagger" yelled at me during my motos by my "friends" from the Pro ranks... almost causing me to wreck, from laughing. And Tedesco wasn't to happy about me turning down and getting a first right away... but this WAS a lightly attended race, so it shouldn't be a reflection of the bigger picture, and at one point in a moto, I WAS in 3rd and had to fight my way up. And another factor in that win, with the random gates, I dont do so well, unless it is a long pause. When it is one of the loooong ones, I just go, cause the gate HAS to drop. I mean, if you have waited long enough, it IS going to drop in the next couple milliseconds... the longest pause is 2.5 seconds. So I just go, whether the horns have gone or not, and it ends up in an awesome gate. And all the gates that weekend in our races were loooong pauses, so I ended up with pretty good gates. Especially in the main, it was almost a slingshot... very fun. I kinda like the random gate thing.

ANyway, long post, and maybe too much explaining myself.... but I am expert. Sorry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lumpy
post Oct 13 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 1,375

As someone who was never a pro, but races in Expert, I would have to say you are not a sandbagger. Now, if you attempted to below expert, I would say different.

Brian

+Quote Post
LACK
post Oct 13 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #3

J LACK

Member No.: 4,022

Welcome back bro. Have fun. lack

+Quote Post
woodybmx86
post Oct 13 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,714

Yeah, fun is the key word. I didn't pay 70 bucks, and I didnt have to worry too much about doing that good, and I actually got to drive 2.5 hours away, to a small national, and race. camped out, had fun, good track, got BMX bucks back, left. all good, and fun.

+Quote Post
Just JeffB now
post Oct 13 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,763

Shame on you for wanting to be able to race every weekend without having to travel to a national (IMG:http://oldschoolbmx.com/community/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

+Quote Post
h360bmx
post Oct 13 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Intermediate

Member No.: 9,572

I totally understand the real life thing and wanting to race at the closer nationals. It helps that I am still nov. and won't have to race u (IMG:http://oldschoolbmx.com/community/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) In the few conversations I've had with u, u seem like a good guy and I'm sure that u made this decision with good intentions. Lookin forward to seeing u at some races

Har

+Quote Post
lumpy
post Oct 13 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 1,375

QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Oct 13 2007, 06:04 PM) *
Yeah, fun is the key word. I didn't pay 70 bucks, and I didnt have to worry too much about doing that good, and I actually got to drive 2.5 hours away, to a small national, and race. camped out, had fun, good track, got BMX bucks back, left. all good, and fun.

Funny... The whole part about having to go to Nationals to race is one of the main reasons I never went pro... I like the fact that as an am I can race pretty much whenever I want..

Brian

+Quote Post
The Riddler Al-F
post Oct 13 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #8

Super Villain: Advocates Sling Shotters and Rides Clipped In

Member No.: 7,300

Good for you! I don't blame you one bit. Your explanation reveals what I've always suspected about the complications of seeking bigger and better.

Personally, I'm happy with local racing for the most part. Nationals and the like are a special treat from time to time. It seems like doing Nats all the time would be more af an expense and a burden.

+Quote Post
bmxrgreg
post Oct 14 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #9

Circus Bear on a Bike

From: The bigger the waistband, the deeper the quicksand.
Member No.: 1,295

Nice to see it didn't take you 6 months to reclass like it did me. No favorable treatment may a s s.

+Quote Post
sanjosebmx
post Oct 14 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Sandbagger
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 1,942

no way racing Expert is ''sandbagging" especially at 30+.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 01:35 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees