Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stripping Lester Mags?
VOCCOLARACING
post Oct 5 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,374

Hey guys, I've got a pair of NOS Lester mags in yellow. They were never mounted but the paint is flaking everywhere. I think they would look better "El Natural". I want to remove the paint without damaging the aluminum(cast aluminum right?) Than probably hit it with alum. jelly. What is the easiest stripper to get paint off alum? Is it airplane stripper? Iv'e seen posts about stripping Motomags but I wasn't sure if it would be the same process with alum. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monster-Robot
post Oct 5 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 7,910

Should be the same process, they are both aluminum. I have a set of yellow 5-spoke Lesters to which I am going to do the same. I think they will look great in raw aluminum.

The spray-on aircraft stripper works the best in my experience. And a stiff bristle brush to get into the rougher parts of the casting. It may take several attempts to get every little bit scrubbed out.

I'd like to see pictures when you're done.

+Quote Post
VOCCOLARACING
post Oct 5 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,374

QUOTE (Monster-Robot @ Oct 5 2007, 09:43 PM) *
Should be the same process, they are both aluminum. I have a set of yellow 5-spoke Lesters to which I am going to do the same. I think they will look great in raw aluminum.

The spray-on aircraft stripper works the best in my experience. And a stiff bristle brush to get into the rougher parts of the casting. It may take several attempts to get every little bit scrubbed out.

I'd like to see pictures when you're done.

Thanks! Will post pics once they're naked

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:13 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees