Reply to this topicStart new topic
Teams recruiting at the Grands
bmx668
post Sep 5 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,557

Let me know how you fell about this. There was a certain team recruiting very aggressively at the Grands this year. They approached several of my riders during the motos and one particular rider just before the mains. Now maybe its just me being a little defensive about outside teams talking to my riders or could it be that it shows a lack of respect for not only me but the fact that a rider whos about to go up and compete in the biggest race of the season has to deal with some TM filling his head up with nonsense, when he should be left to focus on the race at hand.

Next time the classy way to recruit a rider would be to wait till the races are over and then their free game to recruit. Show some class and maybe you wouldn't have to try and buy riders.

Carlos Perez
TM Factory Felt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
npsarider
post Sep 5 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #2

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,909

was it dans comp

+Quote Post
Bags1
post Sep 5 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 27

Carlos,

The problem is the Grands is the one time where everyone is together and let's face it, once the mains start running, everyone starts packing up and leaving. So I can see why someone would try to get the signatures on the dotted line. I personally would not do that, but I did ask a few people for who I have a personal relationship with what their intentions were for the upcoming season, but that was it.

So, I do not condone "aggressive recruiting" but talking with folks is within reason, IMO.

+Quote Post
bmx dad
post Sep 5 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 346

Carlos...it happens, I have seen it happen for many years. You, however are very much a class act.
It was a pleasure trying to blow up your team sheet at the races we were at together, and once Josh and Matt both quit banging each other and raced they actually had awsome races. Matt is a good kid, a great rider, but at the Grands it just wasn't his day, he will have his time, definately a great rider. Please let his Dad know that when he pointed at me after the main it really meant a lot, and the congrats later as well. It took Josh 10 years to accomplish this and he has definately paid his dues...and been very close at 5 times #2.
Best of luck in the future with your team and to your riders Josh raced this past year. Thank you for all your hospitality, I hope we can return the favor sometime.
Take care and talk soon.
Bob
p.s. And about that conversation we had after the races, regarding the Lear Jet....call me!!!!!

+Quote Post
bmx668
post Sep 5 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Bags, Asking someone what they're intentions are and laying out a full proposal are two different things. Theres a time and a place for everything. Bags you are welcome to come by my pit anytime.

Bob, thanks for the nice words about Matt Kelty, he and Josh battled hard all year long and I've had conversations with Matt and his father they have the upmost respect for Josh and his riding skills. Congats on a great year and I'm gasing the jet as we speak...LOL.

+Quote Post
NBKA-SENSEI
post Sep 5 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #6

AAA Pro

Member No.: 8,654

All is fair in love and war.. it is a dog eat dog world!!!
This no different that any other relationship
you treat your partner right they will not go anywhere, if there happy people can talk to them all day long and they will go no where.

+Quote Post
bmx668
post Sep 5 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Sensei, your words of wisdom are inspiring...lol

+Quote Post
pquinnbmx
post Sep 5 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 226

Teams, schmeames

+Quote Post
pquinnbmx
post Sep 5 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 226

BMX is way more of an individual sport by nature, anyhow. Sure, it's great to hang out with friends on a team, but recruiting is for the birds.

+Quote Post
jlindsay
post Sep 5 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #10

Intermediate

Member No.: 9,327

If you're talking about me Carlos I have nothing to hide, I talked to a few of your riders along with riders on other teams, but there were no offers made and my number was not given out until after the mains.
Jayson Lindsay
Team Manager OFR

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 01:32 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees