Reply to this topicStart new topic
Going from clips to plats?
h2old
post May 1 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,301

Have any of you gone this way. I have been riding clips for years. I have tried to play around on plats but find myself having a hard time with it. I broke my back 6 weeks ago and I am thinking about coming back on plats. I understand there are some things I will be giving up (better gates, first straights, pedal slippage, etc, but I would like to see how and if I can actually compete like this. Just wondering. Thanks for input.

btw this really is not because I broke my back, it has more to do with all the injuries I have sustained over the years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bmxshipp
post May 1 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 4,099

I've tried riding the track without my clip shoes and absolutely can't do it anymore. Of course this was with Vans but I was on my Shimano 545 clip pedals. I think I've only tried riding Plats one time and it just felt weird to me. I'm sure I coulda got use to it, but I found no reason to keep trying it.

+Quote Post
LeadSled1
post May 1 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 4,226

I haven't pedaled one pedal since October on a bicycle. When I do get back on one it will be on flat pedals, I'll let you know how it goes. I've noticed my knee pain has gone away even though I am still riding MX bikes for fun. I just think my knees and clipless pedals do not agree. Nothing else seems to bother them like that.

+Quote Post
Just JeffB now
post May 1 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,763

I`ll say this much...at least get some very grippy flats. I run my platforms at the track once in a while, and when I would use my cruddy ol` cast redlines I`d spend half my time on my heels. I`m now considering switching back to plats all together after using the Atomlab Aircorps. Big, Thin, and VERY grippy. Probably the grippiest pedal I`ve ever used, even in less than dry conditions.

As far as being competitive...Peewee seems to do OK.

+Quote Post
Tifo
post May 1 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #5

A Pro

Group: BMX Industry
Member No.: 8,987

quote:
btw this really is not because I broke my back, it has more to do with all the injuries I have sustained over the years.
There is no statistic that says that racing on flat pedals means that you will be less prone to injury than racing on clipless.

But a lot of this is mental, so if you feel that this is what you have to do to come back, then do it.

+Quote Post
Bryan Teague
post May 1 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 2,852

Joey, go buy some Sun-Ringle Zuzus or Wellgo Mags, etc. and some Vans with the waffle sole at the Vans outlet store. You'll be fine. Just don't go for the "up" stroke when pedaling.

+Quote Post
Uncle_Todd
post May 1 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #7

AA Pro

Member No.: 10,820

I've been happy with Shimano DX pedals w/ the long pins and Vans high tops.

+Quote Post
h2old
post May 1 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #8

A Pro

Member No.: 8,301

Oh I completely agree about the injuries being related to clips. I am just tired of that being in the back of my head.

Vans good. Going to store to buy now. I have 3 sets of plats. I am going to try a little of all 3 to see which works. I have some specialized from 98ish I have used that seem to grip good. If none work off to UC to add to the account.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post May 1 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

It would be good training at six or seven different levels to gain competence on plats. Clips all the time can get you into some bad habits.

The right pedal/shoe can be an art to find, however. Too grippy can be just as bad as too slippery.

+Quote Post
CA10
post May 1 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #10

BMX never die!

Member No.: 7,898

I have been happy with Odyssey pedals and Vans shoe for years, NO PAIN!

Can't stand with the clipless alway pain to ankles/knees, BIG SUCK!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:30 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees