IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Great Weekend at the Tar Heel National!!!
Pat Cross
post May 29 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,443

I know there's another Tar Heel National thread out there, but I just wanted to post what a GREAT time I had at my first race in 14 years and my 6 yr. old sons first race ever!!!

It was great to finally meet some of you guys from the board...SHOGUN, Bags1, BV, James Parker (I can't remember your screen name).

Those of you who have quit and come back will certainly understand how incredible it felt to sit on the gate for that first moto...honestly, I felt 16 instead of 33! But even better than that...being able to share that excitement with my son and watch him improve every lap around the track is really what it's all about!!!

Also, MAJOR PROPS to the Tanglewood crew...that track is freaking AWESOME!

As for my results...

I signed up for the Pre-Race just to get those first moto jitters out of the way before Saturday morning...but just my luck, it rained just enough to push the "Pre"-Race back until Sat. after the National.

We only had 4 in 30-34X, and I managed to make the main. I got a good start from Gate 8, but my man Roy Washington Jr. & James Parker both got out good as well...I railed the first turn in hopes of taking that momentum down the 2nd straight and in to turn 2...unfortunately I ate it pretty hard trying to jump into turn 2 and hold my inside line without taking Roy and James out. Roy won and James got 2nd.

I had planned to skip the "Pre"-Race, but my sons wanted me to do it, and I needed to not leave with that crash on my mind...I won both those motos, but more importantly I had fun doing "old school" cross-ups over the big double coming out of turn 1.

We did not race Sunday due to some prior commitments back home.

While the results weren't great...I accomplished my goals...

1. I had fun!
2. I introduced my family to the sport that I love!
3. I met and hung out with some great people!
4. I proved to myself that with a little more track time I can be competive as an Expert!
5. I HAD FUN!!!

Sorry for the long post! THANK GOD FOR BMX!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meaker
post May 29 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Member No.: 1,427

Pat, glad to see you back racing. It felt like old times with seeing you and Jeremy. It's a shame Biggear couldn't make it.

+Quote Post
Pat Cross
post May 29 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 7,443

Man...it was fun, I wish we could have stuck around for Sunday! How it go yesterday?

+Quote Post
momma posey
post May 29 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 3,730

Pat, I was hoping to talk with you too, but with working at the track & then being @ the hospital most of the day Sun. didn't get a chance. We're glad to hear you & your son had such a great time. I look forward to this w/e so much, we had 20+ people staying @ the house & then 50+ @ the house for cookout Sat nite. The kids had water battles, fireworks, football & just great fun hanging out & the adults get a chance to chill with each other...to me it's what the sport is all about. We're going to push hard for a pro race next year, we've got a great facility & from the comments I heard from all that attended, an awesome track.

+Quote Post
retrodave
post May 29 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 8,030

Congrats on the return too the track, mr. cross. Sounds like your son is digging the new bike.

+Quote Post
brian1002
post May 29 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 4,442

Pat...good job man!!!!!! Glad to see your finally back.........On that sweet Profile frame

+Quote Post
cornfed
post May 29 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 246

Pat, it was good to see you again. I guess you'll be racing more often?

I also had a blast. Compliments to the Tanglewood association for putting on a great event; thanks again for letting me sign up so late.

Shogun, first beer is on me! Thanks for baby-sitting my helmet!

+Quote Post
meaker
post May 29 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #8

A Pro

Member No.: 1,427

Hey ncbmxmom, just want to say thanks for having us over.

+Quote Post
Medic4BMX
post May 29 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #9

Intermediate

Member No.: 7,306

We had a blast too! I made my main on Saturday (Even after crashing in my first moto...lol). I didn't have anything left for the main, I was too tired from running from one side of the track to the other for crashes. Next time, I'll race and not medic.....gotta get my priorities straight!....lol.

There was some awesome racing this weekend.

Pat, it was great to finally meet you! I'm glad you did so good after coming back after so long. All it takes is one time, and you're hooked again! Happy to hear your little guy had a blast too!

Meaker, you looked great out there! I'm sure you knew that already, but I like to remind you!

Cornfed, you've got mean skills too! Shogun says no-prob on the helmet, and he'll be looking forward to that beer.

ncbmxmom, thanks for the invite! Wish we'd been able to come over, but I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow. JP was on fire, as usual. I love that little guy!

Our little guy, Cameron, made his mains for the first time in 4 years this year. I think he's usually really nervous cause it's his home track. He pulled out a 2nd in his main on Saturday and a 3rd on Sunday. I couldn't be more proud.
I would brag on Shogun a little, but I know he'll be on here tomorrow doing it himself....lol.
Take care, and hope to do it again real soon!

+Quote Post
D.Mitchell
post May 29 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #10

A Pro

Member No.: 7,993

The track was cool and we had a great time at the Poseys. Rough weekend for Brandon with his shoulder still sore. Thanks to the lady at the medical tent for taping his shoulder a few times and Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Perez and OG and the rest of Felt/Saab for all their help. Hyper's Jonathon Hoffer and HBR's Chase Hines less than aggresive racing this weeked was pretty cool. Class acts in my book.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2014 - 04:41 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees