Helsinki/Finland = My public Blog :)
COASTY
post Feb 3 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #61

Old school fool!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,193

Hey Timmo, where are ya mate? Lovin' the pics. The stories are great. I agree, best thread on Vintage. Rock on mate.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2FRESH
post Feb 7 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #62

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,733

Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while, i've been out for some serious family related issues. Anyway, on the positive note i got some new photos for your enjoyment.
teamharo, sorry i didn't ride in KOC in early 90's and i haven't been to Australia yet as much i would like to one day. I'm sure the weather's perfect for riding down there unlike what we have have now.

Totally ignored the new year's eve which went down as usual, we watched the rockets & all the people buzzing down town and we went back home once we'd seen enough of it.
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Uusivuosi2006-2007003copy.jpg)

The real winter arrived, a photo from our backyard after the snowfall. That big white ball is the other cat.
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Pihalla26-27-01-20071copy.jpg)

Two weeks ago we did another trip to the shack. Here's Kati all happy and smiling while packing up some foods and bottleing tap water for the hot chocolate:
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Vajalla28-01-2007002copy.jpg)

Industrial sunshine:
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Vajalla28-01-2007009copy.jpg)

Once we got there i had that sudden impulse thinking "the rocks really need to be cleaned from all the excess snow" and instantly grabbed the broom:
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Vajalla28-01-2007014copy.jpg)

Slowly i began to warm up thinking "yeah, now we're talking! Watch out you.. you.. stupid.. "snow".
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Vajalla28-01-2007016copy.jpg)

After a while i fully got into it forgetting all about my surroundings and really let the broom and the snow have its share of my ever growing R-A-G-E!
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Vajalla28-01-2007015copy.jpg)

I use to think the spring will arrive quicker if you move the snow around, you know, push it to the side ..or it might not. Call me superstitious.

I wish it was summer already and instead of brooming stupid snow we'd be throwing buckets of water on the rocks bathing on the sunshine...
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/06-08-20061copy.jpg)

-Timo

[ February 07, 2007, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: 2FRESH ]

+Quote Post
COASTY
post Feb 9 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #63

Old school fool!
Group Icon

Great stuff Timo. I hope you both make it down here one day too.
Now that last pic, is it me or do I see a face in the rock?
Great pics by the way. It looks beautiful. I was it was cooler here right now.

+Quote Post
Jarvi
post Feb 10 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #64

AA Pro

Member No.: 7,617

Love the 2nd shot Timo. I can't comprehend how people can live in places that are that cold. Just plain scary.

Yes Coasty, good spotting. Looks like one of those tribal masks. He doesn't look happy about being uncovered either.

+Quote Post
2FRESH
post Mar 4 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #65

AA Pro

Another ebay quote and yet another one of my useless rants:

"IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS BE SURE TO ASK AND MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER AUCTIONS.
ABSOLUTELY NO OVER SEAS SHIPPING DONT ASK BECAUSE I WONT RESPOND."

Ok, take it easy you'll live longer they say.

Let's imagine the status quo would be the other way around. Let's imagine everything cool rare old vintage and desireable piece of these materialstic goodies from the time gone by were all in the old continent, in europe and people from all over the globe were the potential buyers. Would i not ship overseas? umm... let me think.. umm.. "no?"
Been discussed before many times, end of story, no reply necessary for this subject but these kind of "instructions" keep amazing/amusing/aggravating me over and over again for some reason. Its sounds like the seller has decided to throw away all potential incoming cash yet, isn't it just what a seller is usually after?
Maybe i should put all my bikes up for auction and state someting like..

"ABSOLUTELY NO SHIPPING TO ANYWHERE. NO LOCAL PICK UP EITHER (IM NOT HOME) IF YOU ARE THE HIGH BIDDER FORGET IT CAUSE I DONT WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIGH BIDDERS. DONT ASK WHY CAUSE I WILL NOT RESPOND. IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIDDING!"

This is also one of my favorites:
"No International Transactions, No Combined Orders, No Discounts"
..Should've said in the end "No nothing". ha!

Sorry, got slightly excited with this but i think you all got my point. These auctions are sometimes just as ridiculous as me complaining about them for not being the way i would like. Tough luck, better next time.

Who remembers the Biz Markie song "It's spring again" from the album "Diabolical Biz Markie"? That track is such an uplifting one. Well today we had the first subtle promise of the approaching spring time, not far away. Snow starting to melt, streets getting dry and the air slowly warms up. Awesome!!
It'll still take a while before the outdoor season really gets under way though, about a month and by mid april we should be all set. Every winter the city spreads hundreds of tons of coarse gravel on to the streets to prevent people slipping on icy sidewalks. And it's around mid to late may once they've cleaned it all up.
Every spring there's an ongoing discussion in news & media how the Helsinki's air is polluted from microscopic particles floating in the air we breathe from the gravel the pour in to the streets. And yet the city does it every winter, has done as long as i can remember and just keeps on pouring the gravel/sand which by the way, gets buriend under layers of ice and piles up over winter. In the spring the ugly truth reveals when they start cleaning up the streets & sidewalks hidden under it. It's a mess and the people with asthma can't go outside during the worst season.

It amazing how fast time goes when you look at it now, feels as if the darkest days of fall were here only a few weeks ago. But then again it's the same sensation every year.

I don't know about you guys who live in the areas/continents where there's decent weather all year around, but i'm sure if you'd spend about 5-6 months out of a year in the polar nights of "darkness" during the fall/winter time you'd probably go mental. The finnish/scandinavian summer is so short, therefore i guess we try to live up every single day of it like it was the last. The lack of daylight effects the mentality, there's no doubt about it, i've said this before but i say it again, we Finns have a tendency for depression and hopelessness because of this. Sounds bizarre, i know, but despite that i think everyone should experience the polar darkness once to see what it does to you.

Anyway, on a positive note, it's the time to grease chains, lube cables and pump up tires. It's also time to check bearings for smooth roll and trucks for proper tension and tighten up screws on those rails & tailbones. There's nothing like the first riding sessions/skateboard cruises on the first warmer days in spring.
THIS is what i'm talking about, last year, april 23rd first time warm enough for a t-shirt:
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Ajokuvia/Hietsu230420061.jpg)

I am so ready for the outdoor season. More fresh air, more riding, less time on the frickin computer (and ebay).
Thanks for spending yet another splendid moment in time reading my thinkless thoughts -y'all-!

-Timo

[ March 04, 2007, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: 2FRESH ]

+Quote Post
COASTY
post Mar 7 2007, 03:28 AM
Post #66

Old school fool!
Group Icon

Timo, How are ya mate? I don't know how you guys live with your short summers. I've often wondered what it would be like to wake up to darkness everyday. I get depressed and the kids get cabin fever after 3 days of rain! I would go mad I'm sure. I would love to visit sometime. Who knows/ I might show up one day and we can go for a ride! Light permitting...

+Quote Post
bmxmom
post Mar 7 2007, 06:16 AM
Post #67

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,047

oh i think they are very thinky thoughts timo and i look forward to reading them

+Quote Post
2FRESH
post Mar 9 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #68

AA Pro

Coasty, Becuase of the short summer we try to make the best of each day. You should visit norhtern finland in the middle to late november to experience the darkness. Daylight available only for couple hours each day. Here in southern finland it's not as bad as up north, but they're pretty depressing times here too. Unless you're the children of the night, just like the acid-house record. If you do show up one day i promose we will go for a ride for sure!
Dani, thanks lol

Let's take this thread into a whole new direction with a segment i like to call..
-Timo's Urban Survival Cook Book for BMX Freestylers-
"Who wants to learn to make Finnish food?"

I'm no expert but i know what to do when my stomach's growling. Yes, food recipes! I bet you never saw this coming, ha! Besides, every collector, builder/rider has to eat right?

Part #1
"Classic finnish sausage soup"

The finnish sausage soup is a timeless classic finnish dish that is great if you don't want to spend hours in front of the stove. It's a simple soup with chunks of potato, sausage and vegetables in a spicy broth. Sounds boring? Maybe but it's delicious with rye bread and milk.
The soup is based around a classic cooked food sausage called "HK Sininen Lenkki" finnish for "HK blue". The HK blue recipe has stayed the same for 35 year and it is a concept these days, truly a part of finnish identity. There's a saying that "the HK Blue sausage is the vegetable of a finnish male" which is a common joke of a stereotypical image about an average finnish man eating non-healthy food. Read all about the sausage HERE.

A good basic advise for making this soup is there should be somewhat equal amount of the three main ingredients, the potatos, sausages and vegetables. Balance, just like making a successful bike build.

Ingredients:

-1 Liter of water (in a 2 liter pot)
-5 to 7 potatos
-One to one and a half of food sausage
-One bag of frozen vegetables with carrot, rutabaga & peas (basicly just about anything suitable for vegetable soup will do)
-One additional carrot
-Bunch of whole peppers (rose and black)
-Dried parsley
-Fresh parsley
-Two vegetable broth cubes or one generous table spoon of vegetable broth powder (alternatively meat broth cubes)
-Some salt, usually less than a tea spoonful

Preparing:
Add 1 liter of water or halfway into fairly large pot depending how much you're making and turn the heat on. For two persons a 2 liter pot is well enough.

Add generous table spoonful of vegetable (or meat) broth powder or 1 to 1½ cubes, the whole rose/black peppers, some salt and about a tablespoonful of dried parsley into the boiling water and mix. If you want you can also add about half tablespoons of oil.

Now throw the peeled potato cubes (about the size of half of yout thumb) into the hot water and let them boil for a while.
Add the freezing, sorry, frozen vegetables and the additional sliced/chopped carrots and let them all boil until the potatos/carrots are soft-ish (don't overboil them though).

Now add the sliced sausages and some more of that dryed parsley if you like. Let it all boil on low heat for a short while, say 2-4 minutes or until all the ingredient are hot and done. You don't want to over cook the potatos or the sausages though, or they will turn into a mess.
Now is the time to add some of that fresh parsley for some nice color accent. You may add even more when the soup is in the bowl.

Serve with:
-Cold milk
-Sour rye bread (toasted) with dairy cheese and butter or just melt/spread cheese on top.

The meal should look like this (see, i even made an effort with the presentation)
(IMG:http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Timo2F/Valokuvia/Soup002copy.jpg)

Yum yum!

[ March 09, 2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: 2FRESH ]

+Quote Post
bmxmom
post Mar 9 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #69

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,047

that certainly is a different direction timo. it looks nummy but i have to say i am a little concerned about this...
quote:
food sausage

+Quote Post
Guest_katotrucker_*
post Mar 9 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #70

Guests

I love the winter pics,it looks alot like minneasota.
Thats why there so many fins here.

+Quote Post

38 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:51 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees