Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cycle Pro question
SparkSVT
post Aug 6 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,569

I can not remember a company called cyclepro. I have a chance to buy a Cycle Pro Blitz for 60 bucks. Are these junk? from the small photo it looks like a department store bike to me..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NBKA-SENSEI
post Aug 6 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #2

AAA Pro

Member No.: 8,654

Like all bike companys, they make low end and high end, ( at least back then,,) Cyclepro forks are some of the most sought after(depending on make and year.) all are worth having.....
later....

+Quote Post
BRIAN HAYS
post Aug 7 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #3

AA Pro

Member No.: 5,758

Cycle Pro Blitz was an entry level bike to compete with the dept store bikes. $60 complete would be about right.

+Quote Post
salami-pow
post Aug 21 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Member No.: 3,434

I had in 1980,for my 1st "real" BMX bike, the Cycle Pro "Macho" for $124.00.The Blitz at $169.00 had Tuffs,and the "Trophy" at $210.00 in chrome had front brakes.I begged for a DG California Pro to no avail.Parents got the Macho,with a Cycle Pro jersey.

+Quote Post
Nichols Pl8ted
post Aug 21 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #5

Intermediate

Member No.: 6,220

My first "race" bike was a red, welded up Cycle Pro Macho that I bought for 10 bucks from a friend. My parents didn't really understand my passion for BMX BITD, and that old CP was my ticket out of the Huffy world. I'd love to score one and build my old bike back up.

+Quote Post
hemidart1
post Aug 22 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #6

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,318

here is my Cycle Pro- an early full Chromo version.

(IMG:http://images.vintagebmx.com/web_pages/hemidart1/IMG_5347small.jpg)

[ August 22, 2007, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: hemidart1 ]

+Quote Post
lboorse2
post Aug 23 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 10,871

I just picked up a 83/84-ish CyclePro Greg Hill replica frame and fork. Well... the fork they issued was a Tange. It's a nice fork though. I've been hunting for a vintage GHP frame/fork for a while, but they're few and far between.

I asked Greg about the Cycle Pro and he told me that Cycle Pro was authorized to build that frame from the original GHP drawings and he and his dad worked with Cycle Pro to get it as close to the actual GHP frame as possible.

I think the Cycle Pro replicas (complete bikes) were available before GHP sold complete bikes. I might be mistaken on that however.

Cycle Pro only made them for a year or two. I'm assuming that once GHP started offering completes, there was no further need for the partnership with Cycle Pro.

In my opinion, it's a well constructed frame using a tried and true design (one that for the most part is still used by GHP today).

Cycle Pros are cool in my book. But like someone stated earlier in the thread, a lot of companies had low-end and high-end bikes with quality usually being the difference.

What's really important is, do you like it? And are you willing to spend $60. Who cares if someone else thinks it's junk or not? Unless you're going to be riding it full bore, I wouldn't worry about the quality.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 10:16 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees