7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Long Island BMX riders
donaramco
post Apr 22 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,567

How fast time goes - Joe B - just watched a few vids of you still racing. That bug just won't leave me! Maybe I just gotta do it to get it out of my system.

If you remember Lee Haberman, he's on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/lhaberman86?sk=wall

You in CO now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JoeBologna
post May 9 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 31,623

QUOTE (donaramco @ Apr 22 2012, 12:47 AM) *
How fast time goes - Joe B - just watched a few vids of you still racing. That bug just won't leave me! Maybe I just gotta do it to get it out of my system.

If you remember Lee Haberman, he's on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/lhaberman86?sk=wall

You in CO now?

Hi Lee,

Moved to Colorado back in 96. It's great out here. Didn't get back into BMX until 2011. The bug never left me as well and when the little ones were ready, it didn't take me long to get back at it. The insane thing is that I'm all in. We put a track in the yard and should have a starting gate up and running in the next few weeks. I thought my Dad drove me all over, but I have taken it to a whole new level. :-)

You should get back in because of all the good times. I miss those early days at New Bridge park. Many great memories.

Are you still in NY?

Joe

+Quote Post
teachbmxcharlie
post May 26 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 37,523

Gary Mack and Joe Bologna!!! Two of my favorites from back in the day. Joe, Dave Masterson and I used to ride to your house and hitch rides to Braddock with you and your dad. White Castle or Raimos for dinner afterwards. I teach at South Woods, around the corner from your old house in SYO!

Gary, I haven't seen you since the days at Nassau CC.

Hope to hear from you guys ,

Charlie Farrell

+Quote Post
JoeBologna
post Jun 11 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 31,623

That's amazing you are teaching at Southwoods. Good old Braddock. I miss that track. You need to get back on a class bike. Any interest in attending the Cornhusker Nationals? It would be great to hook up and race. It's in August.

Joe

QUOTE (teachbmxcharlie @ May 26 2012, 11:38 PM) *
Gary Mack and Joe Bologna!!! Two of my favorites from back in the day. Joe, Dave Masterson and I used to ride to your house and hitch rides to Braddock with you and your dad. White Castle or Raimos for dinner afterwards. I teach at South Woods, around the corner from your old house in SYO!

Gary, I haven't seen you since the days at Nassau CC.

Hope to hear from you guys ,

Charlie Farrell

+Quote Post
tkay44
post Jun 19 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 37,749

QUOTE (crazyalcayne @ Sep 8 2010, 10:52 AM) *
WOW the memories!!! I race at Newbridge back in the day from 84-87(87 I believe is when the track closed) my cousin Allan Thompson brought me there and I was hooked ever since. I started on a Huffy Stu Thomsen but eventually got a Mongoose California in Chrome with the red tires and those cool grey rims with the holes in the middle. I used to be pretty fast, I went from Novice to expert in on season, then that's when I got a reality check lol. In expert I raced against Robbie Morales and J. Powers, for the most part it was just the three of us racing in that class so we got to race NBL style having to race all three motos. I would beat them out the gate all the way to the big berm(2nd turn) in the back then I'd ride the berm high and they'd pass by me everytime LOL!

It was a looong time again and I'm trying to remember names let see.
-Ofcourse my boy Nigel Cummings rode back then with i believe it was the violet or pink Hutch Hollywood(The Standard or the 80's)
-JJ Raymond-Crazy smooth rider, i think he was from Queens too. I'll never forget him telling me and my cousin "A clean bike is a happy bike"
-Ok I can't believe i can't remember his name but his dad was the Track director(They use to call him Red, because he had red hair) adn I think his name was Brian, he raced with a candy apple Red Hutch judge with black mags.
-Kevin(i can't remember his last name) but he rode a chrome GT and he lived in Bellmore. He had the black quarter pipe in his driveway-really nice guy
-John Gillis or Tilles(Rockville Center), Super fast rider. His sister raced too(Can't remember her name). they had this crazy quaterpipe in their driveway, it looked more like a giant wedge with a tiny bit of vert on the top.
-Todd Kay(Hicksville-I think) some of my best memories are with riding with Todd, Joe and(I forgot the other guys name that use to ride with them). First memory of Todd was his Kawasaki jersey and race pants, he also was the first person I saw with that cool Haro Group 1. He also had this sump by his house where we made this fly out jump, we were all boosting outta that thing. I think they where there when i tried to 360 the "Camel Back"(Remember when we called them that lol) at newbridge and broke my wrist for the first time. I believe I wore Kevins Brand new Yellow JT Helmet when I tried it(I slid all on my head and scratched up his helmet.
-Luke(Brooklyn) Luke was one of the coolest riders from back then, we rode all over Nassau County after a race and hit every curb and obstacle we could find that day. It was me Luke and my cousin Allen, we wound up in Rockville Center at this park on Sunrise Highway with a crazy big pile of clay for the baseball field, we carved a lip outta that thing and went flying crazy high in the air, good times!
-Scott(Rockville Center) Now Scott use to be a crazy jumper, he always went high
-Ed Haller(Baldwin) That's my boy from back in the day, another fast rider, hopefully He'll hit the track in the new season, it's always good to see guys you grew up with in BMX still doing their thing
-Myles"Avis"Davis(Baldwin), back in Newbridge days Myles was only like 8 or 9 years old but all he got were first from what I remember. We did a little riding back in 2002 at the 6 oClock trails in Baldwin(I have video of that), I believe he's trying to hit the tack again but we'll see about that lol!

Other Memories:
-Greg Hill jumping the triples out the 2nd turn at the Big Apple Nationals, which led to all of us locals trying to do it lol(That was nuts)
-At the Big Apple Nationals there was a big pile of clay that everyone was jumping by the entrance to the park. The jumping session that went on that day was legendary!!! There was this one guy on a Vector that was doing some of the highest, flattest tables that day.
-me actually pulling a 360 on the Camel Back Doubles(After the triples)
-Remember those crazy doubles you had to hit right after the last turn
-The crazy jumping session after the races at Dunkin Hills(Right Behind Dunkin Donuts), it was the first time that I figured out how to jump high, really high. on one jump I was crazy high then in mid flight my front tire flew off, I landed in the sand, the bike was upright with the forks stuck in the dirt LOL!
-Oh yeah who was the really tall guy that use to ride the chrome Hutch judge with the blue tires or maybe he had a candy color blue hutch judge.
-The Fathers Day and Mother's Day race!
-I remember winning a Turkey one year for a race we had for Thanksgiving
-After the Races we'd all goto Scorpion Hills in Massepequa, the space is still there!

Ok that's all I got for now. Sorry if there are any typos.

+Quote Post
tkay44
post Jun 19 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 37,749

What's up everybody?!?!?!? My name is Todd Kay and I raced Newbridge back in the day. Started in 84 or 85 and raced there until the track closed one day. That had to be in 87 because I was driving already so we just started going out east to Shoreham BMX. The guys started riding with were Andy V., Joe D., and we always hooked up with Crazy Al Cayne, Ed Haller, Miles Davis, John Tanturri and some other dudes. I remember Dom Paranzino, Clinton Erny, Kevin Rostowski, Nigel Cummings, Rob Morales...those guys were always tough to beat but awesome to hang with and go riding with!!! One of the guys that really influenced me was Dave Masterson. We rode with him a lot and he taught me a lot. He was Factory MCS at the time and I think he was one of the first instructors at Woodward training camp. I used to ride at Scorpion Hills in Massapequa and that's where I met all the guys that are still my best friends today. After Scorpion was torn down (for like the 3rd time) we found another spot in Levittown called the Cornfields. Those trails were eventually flattened and became a Target and Stop & Shop. Then we found a new spot in Farmingdale which became the Hooligan trails.

I raced full bore for about 10 years and "retired" to move on to a career and have a family. I'm now living in Omaha, NE and came out of "retirement" after 17 years and had a pretty decent season. Now both of my kids race and my wife is even thinking about it. She's gonna be getting a cruiser really soon!!!

I have a couple of pics from back in the Newbridge days thanks to Crazy Al. Somehow he still has those. :-)

I'm sorry if I forgot to mention anybody!!! It's been a looooooong time. Nothing but amazing memories!!!!!!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  newbridgebmx_23_1_.jpg ( 200.48K ) Number of downloads: 42

+Quote Post
nigelnyc
post Aug 2 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #52

A Pro

Member No.: 2,423

Todd!

Good to see your back! I came back after 11 years in 2008 and then caught an injury in 2009 and have been on and off until this year. I am finally racing almost every other weekend. Headed to Pottstown this weekend hopefully I will make the results. What class are you racing now?

+Quote Post
BERNER
post Aug 6 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 38,189

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Scorpion hills was a place I help rebuild in 1984/1985, some riders I know of Vinny alu ,Dave masterson two guys that road Scorpions an I was friends with john Tanturri back in Highschool at Berner Highschool.I used to ride a white SKYWAY then brought a directlink from vinny alu because he could not get me a VDC frame an fork , when I moved to florida with my family in 1985/86 I got rid of my directlink for a U.S.BOSS in 1987 and raced at Orlandos barnett park it was NBL not like ABA in Bellmore, I stopped racing in 1989. The Orlando track I raced at is now ABA an I still have my U.S. BOSS bike 23 YEARS later.

+Quote Post
Luckeycharms
post Aug 16 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 38,306

raced at Bellmore in the late 70's early 80's

i remember the axe handle gate,the 48/14 gearing,and the sand traps
good times for sure

top riders in my era were Vinnie Griffin(Ghost cycles),Pete Guando(CW),Gary Mack(team fox/Brands),Dave Masterson(Brands),Cheesy farrell(Brands)
thanks to Phil finkle for selling me my first PK Ripper and getting me hooked on bmx back then

+Quote Post
ExBrandsGuy
post Aug 17 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 38,307

I raced Newbridge back in the early 80's. I also used to do the Friday night Braddock trips and indoor races in Jersey City.

Mostly rode Hutches but also had a Direct Link, National Pro, and a VDC along with a few more I can't remember. Also rode a Floval Flyer in the cruiser class.

Wonder how much my old 185 mm Flight Cranks would be worth today?

John

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 01:33 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees