Reply to this topicStart new topic
Michigan 80's racing, stories, people and pics
Beer234
post Oct 13 2010, 05:57 AM
Post #321

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,664

Anyone looking to get back into or have kids interested in BMX Racing Come out to Waterford Oaks BMX
We have rental bikes and helmets for both adults and kids.
We have practice this Saturday Oct. 16th 2010 from 9:00 – 12:00 $5.00
And our last race of 2010 is Saturday Oct. 23rd registration 10:00 – 11:30 race at 12:00
Visit waterfordoaksbmx.com or call (248)858-0915 for more info.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
christensen143
post May 10 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #322

Member No.: 32,145

QUOTE (BMX TEACHER @ Sep 29 2006, 06:03 PM) *
Anybody remember March 1981 Pontiac Silverdome Race? I remember the snow and that Stu Thomsen designed the track for the NBL.. What a great race. There were over 10000 people in the stands at all times. Anthony Sewell and Harry Leary won the Pro races. I think that Darcy Ainsworth, from Mich, won the girls classs (Powder Puff), and Keven "Special K" Collins won his class. I can't think of anybody from the area who won. Just another memory from Michigan Racing. Tommy

I was at that race! Great race! I was in the 7 year old novice and a kid from my home track (Lansing Jack Pine) was there. He was in lane one and I was in lane 6 and at the start he came all the way across and slammed into me (I think it was on accident). Knocked me out clean. Woke up to my Mom screaming and my Dad kneeling over me. Good stuff! I remember it ticked me off because they had us race it from the half-way point after we were up (really good medical care back then) and I beat him to the finish. I outscored him in the end (NBL rules sucked) and we both got the 3rd place trophy.

Didn't some dude break his back on the reverse camel back on the pro side of the track? I remember the track being shut down for the rest of the day after that.

Here is a link to a Youtube video that has races from the event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPCSENk-28

+Quote Post
christensen143
post May 10 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #323

QUOTE (BMX TEACHER @ Oct 2 2006, 09:21 PM) *
But getting older means smarter, right? Thats what I tell myself. Anyway, Does anybody else remember (year 1981) Lansing had its own Mag. published for the track. It had about 28 pages, showed how to use hand signals in the street. It had tire maintence and gear ratios. Larry McWueen was Track Director back then. Capital Area Supercross. That track raced in any weather. I remember more rain races than sunny ones.

I started racing at Jack Pine in 1981. You are right about the rain. The first hill was a great place to join the "Over the Handlebars Club". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A lot of good memories at Jack Pine. I also raced at Marx BMX in Holt (well it was in Lansing). Anyone remember the first hill that was built on top of an old van? I helped (I was like 8 when it was built, not sure about how much I helped) build it. Mark Hawkins I believe was the name of the guy that ran it. Good guy. McQueen, not such a good guy.

+Quote Post
christensen143
post May 10 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #324

QUOTE (psheridan @ Feb 17 2010, 07:38 PM) *
Andrew did ride for Huffy and lived in the Lansing area. His dad had a cool VW bus.

Andrew was like a God to the rest of us in Lansing. Every once in awhile he'd show up at Jack Pine to race and it was like a celebrity was in town. I think he quit racing to play quarterback. That was what I heard and I was 8 years old. Heck I might have even made it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
psheridan
post May 11 2011, 07:08 AM
Post #325

A Pro

Member No.: 14,699

Jack Pine was my home track and always had big local turn outs in 79, 80. I remember driving my dads Lincoln up the hill next to the lodge with me and Mark Prince both wearing our BMX helmets. LOL

+Quote Post
jwahl
post May 11 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #326

A Pro

Member No.: 3,699

I remember Jack Pine...we went to the 1980 ABA national there in the rain. What a mess that was....All I can remember about the track was the huge drop off on the first straight. I wish I could have ridden that thing when it was dry...

That was my very first national.

+Quote Post
psheridan
post May 11 2011, 02:01 PM
Post #327

A Pro

Member No.: 14,699

Jim,

Were'nt you still in diapers in 1980? LOL

+Quote Post
jwahl
post May 11 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #328

A Pro

QUOTE (psheridan @ May 11 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Jim,

Were'nt you still in diapers in 1980? LOL

Just about right old man... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
jwahl
post May 11 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #329

A Pro

Does anyone have pictures or the ABA paper coverage of that "mudfest"??

+Quote Post
NCKingSting
post Sep 5 2011, 07:58 AM
Post #330

Member No.: 33,553

Man this is bringing back memories. Remember seeing the write up in BMXA on the Silverdome race and thinking how cool that was cause I was there. Also remember all the indoor stuff we used to do in the day. State Championships at the Fairgrounds on 8 mile as I recall. Lot's of plywood table tops and flat concrete turns. Suprized there wasn't much more discussion on good old Mt Grampian however. Loved that track, Michigans answer to Corona running down the side of a ski slope. My two biggest take aways from that track was how scary it was in the gate - imagine a normal starting gate slope pitched on top of a ski slope, VERY steep; and how much fun that first turn and second straight with the drop off was. What a riot! I remember racing there one time when it was raining; and the second turn had apx 1.5 ft of standing wather in it. It was like opening a parachute when you hit it! The other cool track was my home track Endless Summer in Roseville Michigan. Great people, and the combination of skate park and BMX make it an amazing place to be a kid. Can't remember all the names but I think Ron used to own it and I remember Julie worked the concessions there. Think we all had a crush on her at one point or another. We would all ride to the track on our bikes, apx 20 miles for me, then race and ride the skate park afterwards. I recall riding the park at night in one of my dumber moments with Alan "Crash"Mok. One of those things you think back on and hope your kids aren't reading this! Anyway hope this finds all the old crew doing well and keep on racing!
Cheers,
NC King Sting

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 02:11 AM