Reply to this topicStart new topic
Michigan 80's racing, stories, people and pics
plushie
post Feb 25 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #311

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,346

Hello everyone, just read this entire thread. Brought back a ton of memories from that era! My name is Greg Hanna, and I raced in the Jackson area from 1974 to 1982. My dad built a track in our backyard in '74(he was a motocross racer, so he was all about bmx!) and we used to have races with the local kids. It was very common to see mostly converted sting-rays(I was on my uncle's hand me down '64 with box bars and goodyear eagles) But sometimes guys would show up with a Yamaha once in a while, or even a Matthews. First generation Scramblers too. Most of us had a small practice track in our yards( it's a rural Michigan thing!)

I remember a track by Cascades park in the 70's that was only there a very short while. Maybe someone else remembers here.

The track where we did most of our racing, was in Horton. Just southwest of Jackson in the middle of nowhere! It was an ABA track, and we did get our share of top riders coming through(someone in the thread mentioned 'Special K' earlier, he was amazing!) Lots of other expert and pro riders that I just can't remember right now(somebody please help me out!) The locals/good friends I remember were Jeff Borst, Chris Dean, Mike Norris, Todd Silvey, Bobby Collins, Mike Chambers, Brian Medley, Todd Harrison. Most of these guys were sponsored by either Strecker Schwinn, Pedal and Tour, and in my opinion the coolest Jackson shop, Barber's Bike Shop(anyone here remember Mike?) The other shops were alright, but Barber's were bmx from the start!

Haven't seen anyone else from Jackson in this tread yet, or mention racing in Horton. Give a shout if you have! The next time I visit Michigan, I'll raid my mom's photo albums for scans. I know there are a ton of racing pics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RDeneweth
post Apr 2 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 26,925

I raced in Michigan hitting the major races and the nationals I could catch a ride to.
Duggan Neil and Kenny Williams and I hit a lot of races all over the county, Also hitched rides with the McKenzies and Borishkas to a lot of races. Thank you!

Great memories.

I made it to B pro and did ok, winning enough to help pay travel exspenses. I remember my first Pro Practice gate in Charlotte at a National, I was lined up with Shawn Texas, Stu Thompson, Greg Hill, Ronnie Anderson and I realized then that I would never make it to A pro, they would put a bike length on me before I had gotten out off the gate with my back tire. I could stay with them but it was hopeless to catch them. I finished 3rd in B pro, my best finish at a national.

I recall racing Bogie Downs on Wednesdays and Friday nights, Waterford Hills on Saturday, Mt. Grampion on Saturday Night and Endless Summer in Roseville on Sunday. Chasing ABA points.....

I started racing in '77 in Florida and was state champ in the FBMXA in '78. Moved to MI in '79 and was humbled by how fast everyone was here. My first MI race was the Colliseum Classic at the State fair grounds.

My major rivals were Otis Escoe, and Brian Lippens. Don't recall all the names.
Of course I wanted to be as fast and jump as well as Brian Barlow and Chris Jefferies and Brent Walk.

Attached are pictures from Mt. Grampion and Endless Summer. I actually don't have very many pictures.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SCAN0019crop.JPG ( 31.32K ) Number of downloads: 46

+Quote Post
MATTHORNACEK
post Jun 21 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #313

Member No.: 28,035

QUOTE (RDeneweth @ Apr 2 2010, 08:08 PM) *
I raced in Michigan hitting the major races and the nationals I could catch a ride to.
Duggan Neil and Kenny Williams and I hit a lot of races all over the county, Also hitched rides with the McKenzies and Borishkas to a lot of races. Thank you!

Great memories.

I made it to B pro and did ok, winning enough to help pay travel exspenses. I remember my first Pro Practice gate in Charlotte at a National, I was lined up with Shawn Texas, Stu Thompson, Greg Hill, Ronnie Anderson and I realized then that I would never make it to A pro, they would put a bike length on me before I had gotten out off the gate with my back tire. I could stay with them but it was hopeless to catch them. I finished 3rd in B pro, my best finish at a national.

I recall racing Bogie Downs on Wednesdays and Friday nights, Waterford Hills on Saturday, Mt. Grampion on Saturday Night and Endless Summer in Roseville on Sunday. Chasing ABA points.....

I started racing in '77 in Florida and was state champ in the FBMXA in '78. Moved to MI in '79 and was humbled by how fast everyone was here. My first MI race was the Colliseum Classic at the State fair grounds.

Of course I wanted to be as fast and jump as well as Brian Barlow and Chris Jefferies and Brent Walk.

Attached are pictures from Mt. Grampion and Endless Summer. I actually don't have very many pictures.

+Quote Post
MATTHORNACEK
post Jun 21 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #314

GREAT TO STUMBLE ON SITE. I raced in michigan from 77 to 83 ABA,NBA,NBL Expert . From Farmington,like to talk to old friends,, Always great times from waterford,woodhaven, to the silverdome and indy many times living in Yosemite National park,ridingg climbing,and building log homes in the park

+Quote Post
RDeneweth
post Jul 13 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #315

Member No.: 26,925

QUOTE (MATTHORNACEK @ Jun 21 2010, 03:54 PM) *
GREAT TO STUMBLE ON SITE. I raced in michigan from 77 to 83 ABA,NBA,NBL Expert . From Farmington,like to talk to old friends,, Always great times from waterford,woodhaven, to the silverdome and indy many times living in Yosemite National park,ridingg climbing,and building log homes in the park

Hi Matt, sounds like a great lifestyle. Enjoy and stay safe.
I remember you for sure. I ran into Dugan Neil at the track. The kids now are so fast, it's great to watch.

+Quote Post
MATTHORNACEK
post Jul 20 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #316

QUOTE (RDeneweth @ Jul 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Hi Matt, sounds like a great lifestyle. Enjoy and stay safe.
I remember you for sure. I ran into Dugan Neil at the track. The kids now are so fast, it's great to watch.

OK, now i have the itch, are there any vintage races in Mich in august? hope to come in then

+Quote Post
Deanna
post Jul 20 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #317

World Champion

Member No.: 557

QUOTE (MATTHORNACEK @ Jul 20 2010, 11:15 AM) *
OK, now i have the itch, are there any vintage races in Mich in august? hope to come in then

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....wtopic=27047642

Many old timers will be around for this event. Good turnout last year for sure.

+Quote Post
Beer234
post Jul 21 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #318

Novice

Member No.: 19,664

Waterford Oaks BMX 2nd Annual Vintage Bike Show.
SATURDAY AUGUST 7th 2010
At Waterford Oaks County Park 1702 Scott Lake Road Waterford, MI
Show hours 11:00am – 6:00pm
Have a vintage BMX bike you would like everyone to see? Participation in the show is FREE.
What is a vintage BMX bike? For this show it is any BMX bike that is over 10 years old.
This year bikes will be displayed under the large green and white tent in the parking lot at the track.
FREE Admission for spectators.
THE SAME DAY AT THE BMX RACE TRACK
Waterford Oaks will be holding the 2010 NBL Great Lakes Nationals & Big A Series Finals.
BMX Racing will start just after 11:00 featuring some of the top riders in the nation.
There will be an inflatable obstacle course and a bounce house for the kids to play on.
Onsite concessions stand, picnic tables, and clean restrooms.
Primitive camping will be $30.00 for the weekend (Friday and Saturday nights).
The Wave Pool will be open (entry fee required)
Reunite with old friends or make new ones.
Enjoy a day at the races or Wave Pool and then head over to the Vintage Show and check out the bikes.
For more information visit: www.waterfordoaksbmx.com Phone: (248) 858-0915

+Quote Post
mtrhead
post Sep 6 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #319

Member No.: 29,192

QUOTE (RDeneweth @ Apr 2 2010, 08:08 PM) *

Great memories.

I remember you. Great memories.... Is Kenny Williams from downriver? Road Maxima? I still have an old stinky jersey around somewhere of his. I think he lived in Southgate / Riverview or somewhere? if so, now I know why he was with Duggan...me, him, and Duggan were all racing together for a few months around 84 at night in Milan and Famous. I got hooked on the MX next door then moved to MX/Three wheelers after a busting me knee up. Never saw or talk to those two again. I did hear Duggan was headed out west and I do remember him calling but my mom said I was laid up. I never called back. http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....p;#entry1016159 Post #484

This post has been edited by mtrhead: Sep 6 2010, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
mtrhead
post Sep 6 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #320

Member No.: 29,192

I just spent the last two hours reading about BMX from about 85 to today. Wow, Dugan did accomplish it...... lots of history and I see some never quit which is awesome.

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 01:51 AM