Reply to this topicStart new topic
USA Cycling, New CEO
FaithBMX
post Jan 8 2019, 01:50 AM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

Good article over on VeloNews today, here.

New CEO is coming from a retail background as CEO of New Balance.
He is bringing a different perspective and skill set to the job.
He recognizes that there is very little value added to being a USAC member and wants to figure out how to change that.
He also recognizes that the independent bike dealer (IBD) faces significant challenges in today's online/price-oriented market.

I wonder if we (BMX) collectively sent USAC a comprehensive concept of how to promote BMX racing if they would listen?

While I say that I wonder if BMX Racing needs an independent advocacy organization to accomplish goals outside the scope of USABMX (national event promotion)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Jan 8 2019, 07:13 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

I wonder if we (BMX) collectively sent USAC a comprehensive concept of how to promote BMX racing if they would listen?

Do not know if we do not try. I nominate Mike to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
post Jan 8 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Carl how would we start up such an organization? This is something I want to be involved in

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Jan 8 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

Just saw this as I am running out for some meetings, but want to reply, in full.

I'm not sure if USAC would see it as their role to promote BMX at all. They have no path to membership for BMXers, which is likely codified in their agreement with USA BMX ("you stay out of our backyard, we'll stay out of yours").

That said, USAC must find some kind of "Youth Cycling" programming. They are nowhere on that, and there is this massive gap between 3yrs and 17 (junior age) where they have very-few, or no members. Yes, there are a few dozen BMXers from the US who go to the worlds, and are forced to buy a USAC membership. But that's more of an annoyance than anything, and they never use it again.

I would like to hear the incoming president say that he is making it his goal to save the sport of cycling in the United States. It needs saving, and bold action and leadership is badly needed. I feel like everyone is kind of standing around like a road crew, waiting for someone else to dig the hole.

I have more to say on this, but will have to say it later.

As for an independent advocacy organization, I think it is needed. Would USA BMX see it as a threat? Perhaps (probably?).

Such an organization would deal strictly outside the proverbial box. How can we get BMX Racing written into TV commercials? Written into TV scripts? Written into movie scripts? When states and school districts run "bicycle safety" programs, how can we get them to use a very-basic form of BMX Racing as their bike handling skills training? I could go on all day with ideas on how BMX Racing should be in front of the mainstream, but is not.

And it has ZERO to do with "getting BMX on TV" in the way everyone has been talking about for years.

What I'm talking about is creating a lifestyle around it, in such a way that a brand like Chevy would use in a commercial for the new Ranger pickup (advertising the truck, but using BMX as a topical setting, as other brands have done with soccer, hockey and other sports).

Of course all that visibility is of no benefit, if there is not a plan to sign kids up. And that's going to require more tracks--lots of them. My goal is at least one track in every county in America (3,200ish). Some will have more, but that would be the minimum. Each track has about 100 regular customers, so that would mean 320,000 participants nationwide, or about a 10x increase over where we are today.

Imagine such a world!

More to come. Thanks for posting this up, Carl!

Best,

M

+Quote Post
post Jan 8 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I think we have the makings of something big, at work now will do some thinking though

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Jan 9 2019, 07:10 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Totally agree that USAC currently has no valued added for a BMXer, but I wonder if they could.
If USAC is looking for members and BMX is looking for increased exposure could there be a "I'll scratch your back and you'll scratch mine" relationship?
I am in no way promoting that BMXers be forced to get a USAC license if there is no value added, nor am I promoting the creation of a BMX Racing lobbying organization that sucks money from BMX racing/racers to provide a salary for a couple of folks to do nothing.

I am promoting the idea of a volunteer advocacy group that pursues avenues to promote BMX racing.

What do current BMX racers need, but don't currently have?
What, if anything, could USAC provide for BMX racers.

If nothing, then increased USAC membership is not an option as a means of getting USAC support for BMX.
The only other option would be an industry effort to scratch USAC's back in exchange for increased exposure for the sport as a whole.

Does USAC have the ability to approach anyone to request donations of equipment of money to build BMX tracks?

COA 1
BMX racing companies collectively or individually become USAC sponsors.
USAC advocates for the construction of BMX tracks.
USAC advertises nationally and/or works to get BMX racing into mainstream media outlets.
More BMX tracks and more BMXers equal more sales of BMX equipment.
BMX racing companies, USAC, and BMX racers benefit.

Could there be a price structure for USAC memberships?
Associate membership: lowest price
Worlds membership: higher price
I recall that British Cycling had different level memberships.
This way BMXers could contribute to the growth of the sport without being raked over the coals.

Obviously, if there was no growth/benefit then all of the BMX companies pull out the second year and/or nobody renews their memberships.
With the new CEO being retail oriented I would hope that there would be a motivation to see a bottom line met.

I'm not trying to step on USABMX's toes at all.
I think their business model is sound and they are great at their core competencies.
I also think that to shift focus away from running the national series and towards advocacy would take a big investment in people and time.
Collective bargaining. Does USAC have more pull than USABMX?
They both have USA in the name and are governing bodies (of a sort), but I don't think they are the same level.
Is USAC a non-profit national federation? I'm assuming so.
Just because USABMX is the only BMX racing sanction doesn't make them the defacto national governing body.
It's just easier for USAC to treat USABMX as such rather than get into the business of running BMX races.
Again, I'm not calling for the creation of an official non-profit BMX racing governing body.
That would just muddy the waters further.

I'm just brainstorming.

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Jan 9 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Another article up today, here.

Quote at end says it all:
“We didn’t hire him to run amateur racing or athletics. USA Cycling has never had the depth of commercial and CEO experience that Rob brings,” Stapleton said. “There are a lot of things that people think USA Cycling should be doing, and all of those take resources and the right leadership.”

They are not expecting the new CEO to change how bike events are run. They expect him to bring in sponsor dollars that will provide the revenue to promote cycling and cycling events.

+Quote Post
post Jan 9 2019, 07:25 AM
Post #8

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I am promoting the idea of a volunteer advocacy group that pursues avenues to promote BMX racing.

I do not see this as stepping on toes, nor should usabmx.

We have our summer time festivals where I live. the thought of setting up a booth has occurred. Just not sure if it would be effective. But at the same time if you bring in 2 riders, I feel that something has been accomplished

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 06:51 PM