Reply to this topicStart new topic
james herrera
turtle4130
post Feb 18 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #11

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,605

I am just asking who he is and what everyones opinion? Never knocked him just finding out what people think. I personally dont think vegan is the best for a bmx racer IMO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OLDSMARBMX
post Feb 18 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #12

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 21,437

QUOTE (turtle4130 @ Feb 18 2012, 11:11 AM) *
I am just asking who he is and what everyones opinion? Never knocked him just finding out what people think. I personally dont think vegan is the best for a bmx racer IMO.

How about for a news/photo dude?

John

+Quote Post
turtle4130
post Feb 18 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #13

Expert

QUOTE (OLDSMARBMX @ Feb 18 2012, 09:27 AM) *
How about for a news/photo dude?

John

Did i say ond word about mike? No i think its great its working for him. My question is... Is he pushing it on his athletes?

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Feb 18 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #14

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

No, not "pushing it." I asked him about whether he recommends vegan for high-performance athletes, because I want to do a nutrition article series on News in the spring. I see so many top riders coming into the arena on Sunday morning toting their NAG 1 bike and a McDonald's bag--and the two seem diametrically opposed to me. Most of these riders are young enough that they could eat Tupperware and still do their thing...but for the added edge, I would think they should be thinking about optimizing the fuel.

I do not presume to speak for him, but it sounded to me like he is in favor of what makes the most sense for the individual. The chemistry involved in nutritional science is too lofty for my comprehension, what with enzymes, and amino acids and omegas, and how they penetrate the fibers, etc. Arielle just got a VitaMix, so that's today's breaking news.

But I think we could all do better eating more raw, locally-grown organic food, athlete or not. That's my opinion. No zealot like a convert (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

M

P.S. For anyone interested, There is a Facebook group called the "No Meat Athlete" which has some interesting content.

+Quote Post
JConn
post Feb 18 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #15

Intermediate

Member No.: 25,470

QUOTE (turtle4130 @ Feb 17 2012, 10:43 PM) *
Who is this guy? What happened to Sean Dwight? I personally think they need Dr. JRich, Romero, and bigbird as the coaching staff. Whats everyones opinions?

(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~yeahyeah11/backfire.gif)

+Quote Post
Atlmark
post Feb 18 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #16

Expert

Member No.: 13,197

^^^^^is that her mug or the melon exploding? Shoulda' wore a full-face. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Feb 18 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #17

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

I was vegan for a long time; the biggest problem is keeping it up when you travel. Plus my bones seem to take impact better these days, but at the same time I have the training regimentation of Maynard G. Krebs.

+Quote Post
AVerhaaren
post Feb 18 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #18

Novice

Member No.: 5,257

I creep on vintage every now and then, most of us pros do whether we admit it or not so when I saw this post I got a little fired up to reply and in the 10minutes its taken to figure out my username/password combo I've ran through at least 10 responses in my head that could fill a book up, but ill attempt to keep it short and concise. So here goes...

James officially took over my entire coaching plan about this time last year, but I've known and worked with him on a number of things since 2007. The dude started on a bmx bike, raced in the 80's and went around the block with all the cycling disciplines before coming "home" I have also been around the block with coaches, great guys that taught me a lot, but in the 10 years since I turned pro and been "coached" I have NEVER had a coach with as much knowledge and expertise that he has, not just in training but in psychology and nutrition as well.

That being said, James' biggest strength as a coach is his ability to read and understand the athlete. He know what to say and when to say it... whether its during training on a good day or after you have a meltdown from a flat session (not that I ever would (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) Most importantly he knows how to prepare and manage his athletes in high pressure race situations. Ive been racing supercross since its inception in 2007, I'm one of the OG's in the ladies class and I've crossed that line in 2nd place multiple times and 3rd many many more. I credit my first ever SX World Cup win last October to James and his exceptional coaching. He got that monkey off my back being the first American girl to do it finally getting to that top step on the podium at an international event. I know Brooke and Nic feel the same after their stellar performances at the end of last year as well. I got a little teary last night when he was presented with the USOC coach of the year award, a HUGE honor to be placed not only on him but to BMX and our program.

In regards to nutrition? He's a vegan, im not. About 1/3 of my degree from BYU dealt with nutrition so I was a health nut prior to working with him, but he has definitely changed my thinking when it comes to being powered by plants and I have noticed improvements in body comp, recovery, and energy levels backing off the big meats and moving more towards fish, nuts, and legumes as sources of protein.

And Mike, the Vitamix? Bomb. I use it everyday to make power food smoothies. Not your Jamba Juice full of sugar crap either, whole fruits and vegetables dumped right in and turned into a nutrient boost. I should be getting paid for how much I am endorsing that thing. Its amazing.

Not so concise, but thats all folks...

Arielle Martin

This post has been edited by AVerhaaren: Feb 18 2012, 10:51 PM

+Quote Post
turtle4130
post Feb 19 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #19

Expert

QUOTE (AVerhaaren @ Feb 18 2012, 10:48 PM) *
I creep on vintage every now and then, most of us pros do whether we admit it or not so when I saw this post I got a little fired up to reply and in the 10minutes its taken to figure out my username/password combo I've ran through at least 10 responses in my head that could fill a book up, but ill attempt to keep it short and concise. So here goes...

James officially took over my entire coaching plan about this time last year, but I've known and worked with him on a number of things since 2007. The dude started on a bmx bike, raced in the 80's and went around the block with all the cycling disciplines before coming "home" I have also been around the block with coaches, great guys that taught me a lot, but in the 10 years since I turned pro and been "coached" I have NEVER had a coach with as much knowledge and expertise that he has, not just in training but in psychology and nutrition as well.

That being said, James' biggest strength as a coach is his ability to read and understand the athlete. He know what to say and when to say it... whether its during training on a good day or after you have a meltdown from a flat session (not that I ever would (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) Most importantly he knows how to prepare and manage his athletes in high pressure race situations. Ive been racing supercross since its inception in 2007, I'm one of the OG's in the ladies class and I've crossed that line in 2nd place multiple times and 3rd many many more. I credit my first ever SX World Cup win last October to James and his exceptional coaching. He got that monkey off my back being the first American girl to do it finally getting to that top step on the podium at an international event. I know Brooke and Nic feel the same after their stellar performances at the end of last year as well. I got a little teary last night when he was presented with the USOC coach of the year award, a HUGE honor to be placed not only on him but to BMX and our program.

In regards to nutrition? He's a vegan, im not. About 1/3 of my degree from BYU dealt with nutrition so I was a health nut prior to working with him, but he has definitely changed my thinking when it comes to being powered by plants and I have noticed improvements in body comp, recovery, and energy levels backing off the big meats and moving more towards fish, nuts, and legumes as sources of protein.

And Mike, the Vitamix? Bomb. I use it everyday to make power food smoothies. Not your Jamba Juice full of sugar crap either, whole fruits and vegetables dumped right in and turned into a nutrient boost. I should be getting paid for how much I am endorsing that thing. Its amazing.

Not so concise, but thats all folks...

Arielle Martin

thank you arielle! This is all i asked and you answered it the best way possible. I have no idea why this thread blew up. I just asked a question and was curious.

+Quote Post
Jason F.
post Feb 19 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #20

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 23,812

QUOTE (turtle4130 @ Feb 18 2012, 10:11 PM) *
have no idea why this thread blew up. I just asked a question and was curious.

You asked a question, thats why it blew up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 09:42 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees