Reply to this topicStart new topic
Redline MXII Serial Numbers
AdrianH
post Feb 19 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,443

Guys im trying to do a time line on Redline MXII's and I would appreciate it if any of you who own one could either email me a picture of the bike including any Redline stamps and the serial number if it has one. My email addy is nerosol13@hotmail.com or you can post it here if you want.

Cheers Adrian.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KenC
post Feb 19 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 13,872

Here is a rough run down on the years/serial numbers that I have found through the research I have done. There is no way to tell exactly, I just compared different serial numbers and models from bikes and frames that I found on ebay, different web sites and from bikes/serial numbers I found during hours & hours of googleing Redline and Linn Kastan.

The Red-Line stamp means Japan made, which were complete bikes. The ones with no stamp were made in the US and were sold as frame and fork only.

74-75 serial numbers
Started with serial number 100 and went up to 800ish to maybe 1000ish

76 serial numbers
Up to 5200ish

77 serial numbers
Up to 10000ish

77 is the first year for the MX II which was basically a second gen Squareback with different back half, this year also only had one bend on the seat stays

78 serial numbers
10600 would be around March 78
Up to around 19000-22000ish

78 they added an extra bend in the seat stay to ad clearance for the rear tire

79 serial numbers
Year started with the 5 digit serial numbers but changed to the 6 digit numbers in mid/late 79 they also changed the style of the MX II this year to the second gen MX II

80 serial numbers
Were the 6 digit numbers that started with 3 but I havenít done enough research on them or the newer ones to say for sure on them, I can get close but that is all.

+Quote Post
AdrianH
post Feb 20 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Thanks for that KenC. Im chasing the theory that the high 5 number serial numbers (in my case 332xx) were exported frame/forks as the consensus seems to be the highest 5 digit number is 23xxx at the moment. Maybe mr coasterbrake could shed some light on this as well?

Cheers Adrian.

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Feb 20 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

really the only thing i can add to what Ken already posted is how the japanese serials (most of them) read:

the majority began with an "R" followed by another letter. that second letter represented the year it was built. examples: "RJ" is 1980 (J is the 10th letter of the alphabet) "RA" is 1981 (A being the 1st letter). on some frames this pattern continued thru 1985 (RE). then all production moved to taiwan for 1986 (some cheaper models moved there before '86).

then the taiwan #s typically read "R86xxxx", "R87xxxx" etc, with the year now obviously marked.

this is all "in general" for redline since the MX-II model didn't continue throughout this entire timeline.

This post has been edited by mr coasterbrake: Feb 20 2009, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
COASTY
post Feb 20 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #5

Old school fool!
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,193

Adrian, What about the frame and forks that were assembled in Brisbane bitd? (Only MXII's I believe) Gary has boxes of unassembled forks. All legit Redlines too.
I have no idea if our frames had different serial #'s.

This post has been edited by COASTY: Feb 20 2009, 10:16 PM

+Quote Post
mr coasterbrake
post Feb 20 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 249

yeah, that would be some good info to compile. i know it's been mentioned several times over the years, but i don't think it's ever been dug into i great detail.

+Quote Post
AdrianH
post Feb 21 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #7

A Pro

Thanks guys. What im actually trying to do is find out what serial numbers are of all the Australian guys here and at other sites so I can put together a picture of this anomoly. It seems to me that my frame was built here but until I can find out more serial numbers I wont know.

+Quote Post
Kicks
post Feb 23 2009, 06:14 AM
Post #8

Expert

Member No.: 14,228

hey Adrian

this f/f sold to me from bmxmuseum as a 79 Mx2. serial- 348433

Danny

(IMG:http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r7/inkship/rl_before.jpg)

(IMG:http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r7/inkship/bmx%20stuff/redline_79mx2serial.jpg)

+Quote Post
KenC
post Feb 23 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #9

Expert

Member No.: 13,872

QUOTE (COASTY @ Feb 20 2009, 10:15 PM) *
Adrian, What about the frame and forks that were assembled in Brisbane bitd? (Only MXII's I believe) Gary has boxes of unassembled forks. All legit Redlines too.
I have no idea if our frames had different serial #'s.

I would like to find more info on the Australian frames as well. I would also love to have one or two pair of those unassembled forks; it would be a great addition to my Red-Line collection.

+Quote Post
AdrianH
post Feb 23 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #10

A Pro

Ken, I'll forward any info I get from this to you. You can contact Johnny Chopper on his website
http://www.johnnychopper.com/

Also, check this thread out at VOSBMX mate.

http://www.vintageoldschoolbmx.com/smf/ind...opic,184.0.html

Thanks Heaps Danny, much appreciated.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 02:03 AM