Reply to this topicStart new topic
video reviews
jlw515
post Mar 7 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,272

I'm not sure if this has been done here or not, but I recently bought some more dvds from Jeff. Some of the videos I had seem before, some I had not. So, I thought it would be cool to give a video review of some old school videos to let people know who is in the video and quality of the video. Here are some of my reviews of the ones I've seen recently:

"Stomping the States": Team General video of a summer tour. Riders include RL Osbourne, Pete Kearney and Todd Andersen. Most of the riding is RL and Todd. The riding is good, I had never seen a lot of footage of RL riding so it was quite a treat. I like the way RL put his own spin on a trick. If everyone else rotated a decade one way, RL would rotate the other. The downside of the video is the music and the talk over.

"G-TV" GT Team video with Martin Aparijo, Eddie Fiola, Brian Scura & Josh White. Video chronicles the GT team trying to teach Josh White how to freestyle. Good riding for the time, cheesy "story line", cheesy music.

"GT Demo Tape" GT team video with interviews (by McGoo) and riding by Martin, Eddie, Josh, Brian, Dino, Dave & Brett. Video includes "how to's" by each rider. Interesting points to me where Brian Scura's interview, he seemed kinda cocky and the fact that Brett Hernedez's tricks looked harder than Martin's!

"Freestylin USA" "music video" style with different riders for each song. No cheesy talk-over; good music; good mix of rolling/scuffing tricks with older tricks. I really like this video, watched it many times as a kid!

"Freestylin' Fanatics" the whole video seems like one huge Vision Street Wear commercial. Its as if they told all the riders to wear Vision shirt, shoes and pants or you would not be in the video. Video spotlights some of the ametuers and pros of the day. Little bit of cheesy stuff like the voice over with Vander and the scene of Dave & Brian riding in the junk yard, but all in all a pretty good video.

"AFA 87 Velodrome Comp" Wow, this was my first time actually seeing some AFA comp riding. It was cool getting to watch the events I had to read about back in the day. RL and DMC ruled the flatland. I was surprised at the how many "beginner" type tricks some of the pros were doing in their runs, and how many times they touched. RL & DMC were definitely the two to beat. As far as the vert is concerned, I really don't like watching old school 1/4 pipe comps because every other air is simply a set up air, not that exciting to me.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your "reviews". Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jlw515
post Mar 7 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Expert

OH yeah, forgot to say about "Freestylin USA" that it has some old school street riding with the godfather of street - Eddie Roman. The way the videos are editted fit the beat of the music, truly a classic!

+Quote Post
WULFRAN
post Mar 8 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 8,816

let me know where i can find "velodrome 87" ?
i bought every dvds jeff had and i still searching for this contest.
is it a single dvd or set with another video (and which one)?
thanks

+Quote Post
Jeff S
post Mar 8 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #4

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,864

Wulfran, lots of AFA footage including Velodrome. If you want, I can make a new list for you of those specifically. Let me know.

As far as the reviews, I agree that its very cool watching the old contests. While watching them, I can instantly recall the pictures of the same contests from the magazines. Its really cool seeing it all from Ray's perspective too, lol. It's like were sitting right there with the pros. Plus, you have to love Ray's behind the scenes commentary.

I really enjoyed the GT shows. The shows of the 80's were all about skill and showmanship. And GT always came through on both. Martin was one if not the best flatlander at that time, and its fun to watch him. I also enjoyed watching Scura. And it goes without saying about watching Eddie. Also watch Eddie's AFA runs... great stuff.

I dont know why, but I love the BMX Freestyle video. It has some old snowboard footage, some old skate footage, and old freestyle. Includes some nice flatlanding as well as some vert. Seems like it was shot in SF. A guy named Dangerous Dave is featured in a lot of it. I dont know much about him. Maurice might have some info.

Anyone watch the video I had with the General show? The one where some kid comes up to RL etc, and is saying he is sponsored and a great rider? Classic. Amazing he is telling all of this to RL etc. Hilarious when the guys give him a bike and say, "lets see what you've got" and the kid cant do anything! A must see. Biggest poser of all time, lol.

The 87 and 88 Haro shows in Ohio were really good too. Thanks to Roosevelt for those.

Those are a few that come to mind right now, I'll think of more later on.

Jeff

[ March 08, 2007, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

+Quote Post
Jeff S
post Mar 8 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #5

AA Pro

oops.. double.

[ March 08, 2007, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

+Quote Post
WULFRAN
post Mar 8 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Expert

thanks jeff, don't want to take much of your time but this velodrome 87 remains untraceable.
i wonder if i have this dvd because everythings incuded are written on each one so....

+Quote Post
Jeff S
post Mar 8 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #7

AA Pro

Wulfran, there are a few of them. No problems. Compare the ones you have to that list I sent you. If you need the list again, let me know. On the list, I think I described pretty much everything on each disk. I think there were 2 or 3 dvds of velodrome stuff. One I remember being pretty cool, is the 87 masters. This was the one that was broadcast on Nickelodeon. Its cool seeing the same contest, but shot from the stands via Ray and Gary. Good stuff.

Jeff

+Quote Post
WULFRAN
post Mar 8 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Expert

i'll PM you the list of every disc i own and you'll easily see if some are missing.

+Quote Post
jlw515
post Mar 8 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Expert

The disc I have says Disk 8. It has some AFA flatland footage and pretty much all of the vert. Dominguez was doing some crazy 540s between the two 1/4s. That was first time I actually saw any of his contests runs. He was way ahead of his time. I would also like you to email me the list again.

Does anyone have any "88 AFA contest footage" with Martin on the Pro Freestyle Tour doing bar spin Miami hop hops and DMC on the Master with kneesavers?

"BMX Freestyle" this was one of the first videos I've ever seen. The flatland section is pretty good. Corregraphed flatland, but other than that I thought the video was pretty cheesey. The only rider I recognize from the video is Vander, "Kinda silly if you ask me". VEEEERY early video with footage from early bmx shows.

"BMX at the Spot" this is pretty much RL, Chris Day & Fred Blood at the "Spot" which I think was in San Fransico. Pretty good flatland for its time. Again, don't care much for the 1/4 pipe riding. How did Fred Blood get the nickname "Captain" anyway. I always thought it was a spoof from the GIJOE "Major Bludd" but was never sure.

+Quote Post
marvell
post Mar 8 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Novice

Member No.: 5,418

The spot was in Redondo Beach just down the street from R.L's house in Hermosa Beach.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2020 - 09:27 AM