Reply to this topicStart new topic
Team Sponsorship expectations
KennyBrown
post Nov 4 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,883

So I am always trying to figure out ways to advertise my business. So since I am going to start racing I was thinking that I might start a small race team.

What are the expectations of a team sponsor, like what do they usually conver?

Kenny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
woodybmx86
post Nov 4 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,714

Well, I am on the market... and to get me, it will only cost you a foot massage at every race, all the Monster Java drinks I can hold, a complete race, street, dirt jump, cruiser, Urban MTB, dowhill MTB, and special sprint/training bike...
oh, and all the underwear I can wear.

Other than that, I am pretty lax... and I guarnatee I will look good in last.

+Quote Post
deluxx bmx
post Nov 4 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 8,137

My Shop team gets a jersey and discount....My National Team gets all their Kit and other things...plus all money from TT and bonus's.....I expect them to represent the team and their sponsors the best they can...they know what to do....

+Quote Post
KennyBrown
post Nov 4 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Intermediate

Member No.: 15,883

QUOTE (woodybmx86 @ Nov 4 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Well, I am on the market... and to get me, it will only cost you a foot massage at every race, all the Monster Java drinks I can hold, a complete race, street, dirt jump, cruiser, Urban MTB, dowhill MTB, and special sprint/training bike...
oh, and all the underwear I can wear.

Other than that, I am pretty lax... and I guarnatee I will look good in last.

Well lets see you put together quite a package for me to consider. However I don't know how you being in another state is going to help my current business. I see this as the only hurdle that is stopping me from making this deal. Besides we can only have one really good looking last place rider and I have a feeling that I will carry that position until I get my riding legs back.

+Quote Post
Infamous
post Nov 4 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Professor Chaos

Member No.: 4,973

QUOTE (KennyBrown @ Nov 5 2009, 12:35 AM) *
Well lets see you put together quite a package for me to consider. However I don't know how you being in another state is going to help my current business. I see this as the only hurdle that is stopping me from making this deal. Besides we can only have one really good looking last place rider and I have a feeling that I will carry that position until I get my riding legs back.

Having "woody" in another state is probably the best thing for your team!

+Quote Post
Jason F.
post Nov 4 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 23,812

depends on how rich you are....seriously, our team we get discounts and a few odds and ends free things when the manager can afford, plus I donate free stuff from the place I work so its cool, and I dont expect anything else.

if I was on Bill Gates race team...that would be another story!

+Quote Post
fastjimmy412
post Nov 4 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 20,424

Being a parent of a rider we look for a team that brings a lot of smiles and people together to have fun and enjoy a great weekend of racing. To help the kids grow and support them as they race. A lot of riders mite expect a lot of things. Free gear, entry and other things. I think a free uniforms and a price cut on bike parts and products is great for the am's. If you have a Pro on your team, you want them around to support your product and your team. Pay their entry fee and bike parts. I feel the pros need to receive more then then what they are getting now. But I also feel that this sport is getting ready to boom also. Just my .02

+Quote Post
s4lnj
post Nov 4 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #8

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,732

what kind of buisness?

jersey and discount is normal, strike a deal with your lbs

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Nov 5 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #9

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

If you are doing it just to advertise your business then you could try to appeal to the broadest market by picking up one girl, one little kid, one popular/flashy expert, and one older cruiser rider.

If you are wanting to win team sheets then you'll want to pick up proven winners with rider count.

In any case try to get riders with good attitudes and supportive/non-drama parents.

As far as support I would determine what your budget is; like any other marketing/advertising expense. Once you have an annual budget figure, then determine what that dollar amount can afford. It would be nice to at least have matching uniforms. If you have the money you can order custom jerseys with your company logo from someone like Hot Shoppe; or you could order stock Fly jerseys and have your logo screenprinted on.

As mentioned, if you can team up with the local bike shop then you could line up some discounts and possible co-sponsorships.

You could also probably buy a banner/billboard at your local track.

I hope that helps.

+Quote Post
psbmxer
post Nov 5 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #10

A Pro

Member No.: 5,579

Many years ago when the team I now run got started, a few parents got together to start a new team. The plan was they wanted the kids to get something and feel a part of a team. They went out and had jerseys made and it was decided that new riders would get a free jersey and they found some other sponsors that gave discount on parts. That was back in 1984-5? and we're still going. We've had a few name changes but still going with the same idea. I now have a bike shop/track vendor and give discount through it but still have the rule that I'll give people the first jersey and make them part of the team.
You don't have to go broke doing this. You will lose a lot of riders that will jump to other teams offering more but don't let that bother you. many parents are more than willing to pay for the jersey so you could even recover that cost. Don't get stuck in the battle of thinking you have to offer the world to someone. That will just make you go broke and take the fun out of it. If you have the money then YES do give more.
Soon you will be turning away riders because you just can't take everyone. The most important thing is to be at the track often enough and on a regular schedule so they know when you'll be there and have fun with it.
My team has 2 rules.
#1 - You try hard
#2 - Have fun

Danny Bushnell
The Bike Master

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 07:14 AM