Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tornado Alley BMX in Amarillo, Tx.
Scot F.
post May 21 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #1

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,240

Tornado Alley had their State Qualifier yesterday. A few of us decided to go together and make a "guys day out", to a track we had never been to before. Joey "H2old", Todd "cruzertodd", myself, and Brett Jones loaded up a van and trailor friday afternoon and headed out! Thanks to Joey's dad for letting us borrow his custom Chevy Van. Thanks to Bill Sebesta for letting us borrow his trailor.

What an excellent track! The layout is great with high banked turns and a good flowing, fast track. They even have a pro section. They rescently had coated the track with "envirotak" ...or whatever that stuff is called. Smooth and fast! I hate to say that the turns seemed slick but my fractured thumb keeps reminding me. I washed out in turn two trying to get into a qualifying spot. I didnt make the main on cruiser.

Welcome to tornado country! During the mains the wind started kicking up. Next thing we knew there were dirt devils blowing around everywhere and canopies were being sucked into the air. One of ours got pulled up while I was sitting under it. It was lifted completely over the six foot chain link fence that surround the track and crashed on the last straight away. The dirt and wind got so bad that you could not see the track and you could not balance in the gate.

The track operators, assistants, and fellow racers there are EXCELLENT people. "Texas friendly" is definatley spoken in Amarillo. We had a great time. Too bad it is such a far drive for us from Austin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pquinnbmx
post May 21 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 226

that was a blast, the video is very entertaining

+Quote Post
cruzertodd
post May 22 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #3

A Pro

Member No.: 8,174

That was the funnest track I've ridden since I've been back racing. Like Scot said we got a few prime examples of why they named the track Tornado Alley BMX. I thought I was gonna go para-sailing with one of the ez-ups. What I want to know is where the bulk of their local riders were. One of the ladies I talked to said out the 120 or so riders they had show up only 17 were locals,what's up with that?

+Quote Post
AgentCooper
post May 22 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Novice

Member No.: 9,021

I've been wanting to get into racing and the Amarillo track is the only one close enough for me to visit.

My problem is that on their website they don't seem to have any adult divisions up there. Is that true? When I say "adult" I mean the over 30 crowd.

+Quote Post
AgentCooper
post May 22 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #5

Novice

Member No.: 9,021

I've been wanting to get into racing and the Amarillo track is the only one close enough for me to visit.

My problem is that on their website they don't seem to have any adult divisions up there. Is that true? When I say "adult" I mean the over 30 crowd.

+Quote Post
pquinnbmx
post May 22 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #6

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 226

they do have a few adults that make a class now and then. that is probably the nicest track in texas besides desoto. go check it out, they built a nice track there! rider count: they will build it up this summer. if you race 20" you can race legendary bmx'er danny wall, me and scot raced him, he is fast.

+Quote Post
Scot F.
post May 22 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #7

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,240

AgentCooper,

Recruit man, RECRUIT! Dont wait till there is an adult class... Start it yourself. Keep in mind that even racing against the fast local kids can be more fun than not racing at all. The kids are almost always respectful of you trying, whether you can hang with them or not.

We have huge adult participation in Austin. It hasnt always been that way though. I think ALOT of the adults that are racing started because they saw people like me doing it. Once you start, parents that are there may take notice. Talk to them ,encourage them, even let them borrow your bike for a lap during practice. I even have extra cruisers I have let people borrow just to try it out.

There are people involved with BMX that dont even realize that the sport has 30 and over classes, not to mention a 51 and over class!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 03:20 PM