Reply to this topicStart new topic
Another stuck neck- PLEASE HELP!!
Jim
post Jan 28 2002, 12:29 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

Well, I too have a neck stuck. It is in a newly acquired JMC 3.1XL. The wedge and bolt are out. It is the actual neck that is stuck (rusted?)

I have removed the top headset nut and ring by way of Dremel. I can see where the neck goes into the fork top. It looks like it's in there pretty tight...

I have soaked the inside of the headtube in Naval Jelly, WD-40, and Liquid Wrench. None of them helped. After the soakings, I inserted a socket extension into the headtube and tried hammering the neck out. It won't budge.
Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I am, as nothing has helped.

Any suggestions??

-Jim

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hal
post Jan 28 2002, 05:32 AM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3

Well, sounds like you've gone through the motions pretty well. You next step would be to exercise some patience. I would get more of that liguid wrench and every day go out and reapply it real heavy from both ends. Do that for a week or two and then try knocking it out. if it still does'nt move keep applying the liquid wrench. Liquid wrench will work it's way in there. Just may take a little time.

+Quote Post
rick
post Jan 28 2002, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Professor Griff

Member No.: 4

Has anyone ever tried a dent removal tool on posts and stems? It's just an idea that popped into my head. Not sure it would work, but if you could take that tool, screw it into the stem bolt hole and start whacking, it might come out.

The tool i'm talking about is the kind that is a rod with sliding weight and a screw bit or something on one end with a cap on the other that the weight stops against. I think car thieves use the smaller ones to pop ignitions. They screw it in the keyhole slide the weight with a quick pop, and away they go.

+Quote Post
BLAZERBMX
post Jan 28 2002, 06:52 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 10

Is there enough room to hammer the stem down more to help loosen it up? If you don't plan on reusing this stem then you can beat on it from side to side for a while to help loosen it up. If not loose yet, flip the frame over and beat on the bottom of the stem to knock it out. If it's an aluminum stem cut it off at the top of the headtube and take it to a engine shop that has a Dynadet vat. The Dynadet will dissolve the aluminum but won't hurt the steel.I have only seen a few that were really stuck in the last 20 yrs. and all of them eventually came out with no damage to the steerer tube. Be patient.

+Quote Post
rick
post Jan 29 2002, 01:00 AM
Post #5

Professor Griff

hey, read hutchheaven's post about getting a seatpost out. Couldn't you do that with a stem? Reassemble it with a long, strong breaker bar in place of the handlebars. Find a way to hold/clamp the forks from moving. I'll bet with a long enough bar you'll have plenty of leverage to rotate it free. just a though - rick

+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 29 2002, 01:18 AM
Post #6

A Pro

Member No.: 23

Actually, I thought of that, but I am afraid I will tweak out the forks or the headtube somehow. The JMC forks aren't the strongest in the world due to the aero tubing. I don't know what I would use to secure the forks anyways. Wouldn't a vice clamp possibly hurt them?

-Jim

+Quote Post
rick
post Jan 29 2002, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Professor Griff

how about a stem in the top w/no wedge(stuck) and a stem placed in the bottom of the fork as far as it will go. If you tighten the bottom stem, wouldn't it spread the steer tube enough to free the top stem? put a bar in both stems and work against each other for gentle torque.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th April 2020 - 04:15 PM