Reply to this topicStart new topic
BMX SX vs Traditional BMX, Too Extreme?
JonTheBassist
post Jan 23 2018, 03:53 AM
Post #11

Intermediate

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,704

Yes, the 8m hill is too much, and guarantees an injury for a rider that crashes. The speed generated from a smooth 5m hill is enough for exciting racing, and the riders go quick enough to be able to clear some good sized obstacles. The racing at the Zolder Worlds was plenty exciting from a 5m hill.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
expertncbmxer
post Jan 23 2018, 10:37 AM
Post #12

Novice

Member No.: 9,157

BMX SX is one of the reasons why I have given up my childhood dream of racing pro and I can't be the only one. (Having the new 26-35 class helps ease some of that pain...) I've heard stories of pros easing up on racing after SX bmx started taking over the national circuit, and ams reconsidering turning pro because of the high risks involved. Its just not worth the risk to me, and others, who simply want to race A pro and have no ambitions with ever turning elite. I have a good day job and wouldn't be racing for the money. I wanted to do it for the love of the sport, but I can't justify trying A pro out and having to skip 2+ nationals a year because I don't want to take on the risks that racing SX brings.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Jan 23 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #13

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (expertncbmxer @ Jan 23 2018, 10:37 AM) *
BMX SX is one of the reasons why I have given up my childhood dream of racing pro and I can't be the only one. (Having the new 26-35 class helps ease some of that pain...) I've heard stories of pros easing up on racing after SX bmx started taking over the national circuit, and ams reconsidering turning pro because of the high risks involved. Its just not worth the risk to me, and others, who simply want to race A pro and have no ambitions with ever turning elite. I have a good day job and wouldn't be racing for the money. I wanted to do it for the love of the sport, but I can't justify trying A pro out and having to skip 2+ nationals a year because I don't want to take on the risks that racing SX brings.

My Gosh. this is a great post.

BITD, if someone had told me my son was destined to be the next Gary Ellis/Billy Griggs I would have been ecstatic!

Now if someone said my son was destined to be the next Maris Strombergs I would do whatever it takes time and/or money wise to make sure that BMX bicycle racing is not in his future.

Not sure what the answer is but how many riders have raced up to a certain point and then quit simply because of the dangers of SX?

Mike Carruth wrote on here years ago that not only was SX not helping BMX but it was in fact hurting it.

I think he was right.

+Quote Post
expertncbmxer
post Jan 23 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #14

Novice

Member No.: 9,157

I could probably ride SX tracks if I wanted too and worked at it. I've ridden pro sections like South Park and big trails sets so its not out of my skill set, although the asphalt-to-asphalt berm gap at my closest SX track, rock hill, is pretty intimidating. Riding the SX tracks is pretty gnarly on its own, but racing it... That's on a whole other level.

This post has been edited by expertncbmxer: Jan 23 2018, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
jacobec
post Jan 23 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #15

Intermediate

Member No.: 21,557

QUOTE (expertncbmxer @ Jan 23 2018, 08:37 AM) *

You are not the only one! I am in that exact same boat with ya, along with countless others in our age class.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 10:54 PM