Rider Down (but NEVER EVER out!), Deanna Edwards Jamieson
johnnyculbrethdo...
post Jun 23 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #41

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,465

QUOTE (psheridan @ Jun 23 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Don't do the surgery unless there is 100% no other option. I had a 2nd degree separation and it has healed fine. The big bump even got smaller once I broke my collar bone. LOL

Don't mean to thread jack, but I have to disagree with this. Grade 3 Seperations of the Acromio-Clavicular Joint almost always require surgery. There are a lot of ligaments that have been torn and the fastest (and best) way for them to start working back together is for your bone to be put back in place.
I guess it all depends on the patient but I've been through a Grade 3 and I just want whats best. I have no bump an 100% range of motion. Just make sure, surgery or no surgery, you follow through with your Physical Therapy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bmx668
post Jun 23 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #42

A Pro

Member No.: 8,557

I have seen Deanna take some big falls (NBL Grands 07) she always manages to get up and brush herself off. This will be no different for the girl of steel....lol.

Get well soon!!

Carlos

+Quote Post
O-G
post Jun 24 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #43

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,324

I was sad to get the call Sunday, but impressed by the grit of you making the drive home. I saw the video- I think that's the same spot I lost 20 minutes of my life. Nothing malicious on either side; just good hard racing.

Good luck with your recovery!

Bob

+Quote Post
Steve Bourke
post Jun 24 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #44

Elevated Player

Member No.: 4,411

heal fast, but take your time. i guess the time it takes fingers to heal will make that happen.

+Quote Post
VAbmxdad
post Jun 24 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #45

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 1,907

Take care & heal up D. Well wishes going out to you.

+Quote Post
Deanna
post Jul 2 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #46

World Champion

Member No.: 557

Finally an update for those that care. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I went in for a second opinion to a surgeon that specializes in Athletic Medicine www.instituteforathleticmedicine.com

After a disasterous first meeting with a surgeon that didn't even look at my xrays and thought he could diagonis me by how far my bone stuck out of my shoulder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) My gut told me to get a second opinion.

Come to find out I actually haved a type 4 seperation of the AC which will need surgical attention. He will be doing a procedure called a "Tightrope" which means I won't have to be opened up twice like conventional shoulder surgery. Instead titanium screws will be inserted and I will make a full recovery with screws for life to strengthen the damage that was done. My shoulder will be stronger than ever as they put it back in place and fasten the screws.

The good news for me is I will race again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The ABA Grands are very realistic and I'm excited that we have worked out a progressive plan to put me back in the game.

Now if I can just stay on my bike and keep from crashing.

The surgery takes place next Friday as outpatient. I get a nice scar that will be an inch long as doing the procedure with a scope is risky because of nerve damage.

I'm nervous as hell but excited to put this chapter behind me. It's been a long 1-1/2 weeks since the crash!

See everyone in November at the "Greatest Race on Earth"

+Quote Post
sandimom
post Jul 2 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #47

AA Pro

Member No.: 2,257

So glad to hear this, Deanna! A second opinion for anything major that is not immediately life-threatening is just smart. It sounds like you are much more comfortable with the pending surgery than before and much more confident in the results. Please, please keep me posted. Will be thinking about you next Friday and sending prayers up for a good result.

How's the right hand doing?

+Quote Post
Deanna
post Jul 2 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #48

World Champion

Member No.: 557

The other hand is doing ok.....
Initially they thought it was 3 broke fingers. That darn asphalt takes a toll on one's body parts.

Two fingers are ok the other is broken and it's taped so it makes life easier other than going potty.... LOL!

Thanks again for coming up and sitting with me in the ER Sandi. I still owe Jim a call from last night. It's a blessing to my husband who lets me go on these crazy trips to follow my passion to know that I have a second family when I'm at the races.

This post has been edited by Deanna: Jul 2 2009, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
DoranB
post Jul 2 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #49

A Pro
Group Icon

Group: Advertisers
Member No.: 5,586

Hate to hear about your misfortune D. I had a grade 3 and it wasn't fun by any means. A grade 4? You got yourself a nice bump going on right about now!

Good luck on a speedy recovery!

+Quote Post
meaker
post Jul 2 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #50

A Pro

Member No.: 1,427

Deanna, glad to hear you went for a second opinion.. Even though surgery is tough and will set you back a little, you are not out done yet and will still have many wins to take.. Good luck with surgery and I wish a speedy recovery.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 01:16 AM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray

Support Vintage By Using These Links For Your BMX Travel NO priceline hotel cancellation or change fees