Trash talk, Jackal vs. JRich
Sparkbmxtraining
post May 19 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 57,448

Who doesn't love a little online trash talk between old pros?! I, unfortunately, didn't get to see it before the Facebook post was removed. Someone catch me up!

I heard John Purse was questioning Jason Richardson's mental coaching programs. I for one loved Jason's book, and enjoy his podcasts. I also think that there is nothing more important to performance than a strong mental game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnd
post May 19 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

When ever Purses or Hills name is mentioned nowadays, this is what pops up in my head.

(IMG:http://static.moviefanatic.com/images/gallery/uncle-rico-picture.jpg)

b.

+Quote Post
Sparkbmxtraining
post May 19 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #3

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 57,448

Haha! Yeah, there's a reason that they were so successful in BMX.

+Quote Post
BS
post May 19 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #4

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

Pick up the penny

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post May 19 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

Purse is just a hater who has been talking trash and produced nothing, plain and simple. Sad, coming from a "legend"

+Quote Post
Pete1969
post May 19 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 20,493

JRich did get some free publicity though.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post May 20 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #7

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

I didn't want to get into that FB scrum, but I didn't understand where Jackal was coming from, in terms of down-talking JRich and his qualification to offer such a program.

He kept saying "You never won the top class, so you can't speak on how to win it" (or something to that effect). JRich won the Elite cruiser title, when there was such a thing, but Jackal says that doesn't count because it isn't the Elite Men title.

Except, let's face it, the training JRich is offering is really geared toward the mass-amount of non Elite riders making their way to the worlds--the "Prosumer," if you will. Elite contenders are not likely to look on the Internet for a $35 training course (since they are probably on-board his, or someone else's full-service sports psych program).

The ams who are in the target group likely would get some focus and value out of such a course.

So the argument of "You never won the Elite title, so you can't teach ANYONE how to race the worlds," is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. If that were true, everyone coaching Olympic Medalists might as well pack it in, because there are only two people in the history of man who have won the Gold--and they're both still racing.

I will take it a step further, and say that the PsyD that JRich earned puts him above the qualifications of an Elite who won the title, because he has the BMX perspective (admittedly, short of the Elite 20" title), AND he also has the clinical knowledge of how to apply the BMX knowledge, and the Psych knowledge to another person.

Just because Person A won the Elite Men's title, does not automatically qualify them to teach someone else how to do it. And just because someone has a PsyD diploma, they don't have the BMX knowledge to be as effective in coaching BMXers as someone who has both.

It was a real spitshow up on FB, bringing out defenders on both sides. Respect to the accomplishments of both of these legends, but I think the $35 is a solid investment for anyone who may want to get that little-bit more out of their final-weeks prep.

If you're spending $3000 to do the race, another $35 for tools that could actually help is a prudent investment, to give yourself every advantage.

Best,

M

+Quote Post
Monty C.
post May 20 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #8

A Pro

Member No.: 1,714

man i miss everything, just listened to the latest Holmes/Jrich podcast with my hero TN49 and heard them mention it but couldnt find anything.....if it went down the way you say i have to side with Jrich, who says whos qualified to teach or not?

+Quote Post
Pete1969
post Yesterday, 03:12 AM
Post #9

Expert

Member No.: 20,493

QUOTE (MikeCarruth @ May 20 2017, 07:44 PM) *
I didn't want to get into that FB scrum, but I didn't understand where Jackal was coming from, in terms of down-talking JRich and his qualification to offer such a program.

He kept saying "You never won the top class, so you can't speak on how to win it" (or something to that effect). JRich won the Elite cruiser title, when there was such a thing, but Jackal says that doesn't count because it isn't the Elite Men title.

Except, let's face it, the training JRich is offering is really geared toward the mass-amount of non Elite riders making their way to the worlds--the "Prosumer," if you will. Elite contenders are not likely to look on the Internet for a $35 training course (since they are probably on-board his, or someone else's full-service sports psych program).

The ams who are in the target group likely would get some focus and value out of such a course.

So the argument of "You never won the Elite title, so you can't teach ANYONE how to race the worlds," is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. If that were true, everyone coaching Olympic Medalists might as well pack it in, because there are only two people in the history of man who have won the Gold--and they're both still racing.

I will take it a step further, and say that the PsyD that JRich earned puts him above the qualifications of an Elite who won the title, because he has the BMX perspective (admittedly, short of the Elite 20" title), AND he also has the clinical knowledge of how to apply the BMX knowledge, and the Psych knowledge to another person.

Just because Person A won the Elite Men's title, does not automatically qualify them to teach someone else how to do it. And just because someone has a PsyD diploma, they don't have the BMX knowledge to be as effective in coaching BMXers as someone who has both.

It was a real spitshow up on FB, bringing out defenders on both sides. Respect to the accomplishments of both of these legends, but I think the $35 is a solid investment for anyone who may want to get that little-bit more out of their final-weeks prep.

If you're spending $3000 to do the race, another $35 for tools that could actually help is a prudent investment, to give yourself every advantage.

M

I'm not a Patriots fan and from what I know Belichick didn't win jack in College or play in the NFL. He did study football while his father was a scout. He's probably the GOAT of coaching in all of sports.

Anatoli Tarasov is known as the Father of Russian Hockey. He coached and built up the first Soviet national hockey team after WW2 and many of the players who ended up famously losing to the US at Lake Placid were his students. Under Tarasov, the Soviet national team won nine world championships and three Olympic gold medals.
What's crazy is that Tarasov before 1946 had zero knowledge of hockey, he was a watchmaker.

I think it's best not to tell people how to spend their money.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Today, 09:44 AM
Post #10

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

If you are a successful racer in wheeled sports you - with rare exception - have a focus that can be used to cut steel and inflexible self-confidence. BMX is no different.

In fact I spent a weekend training with Purse once, spent a week training with Hill, time with other pros, and have seen this again and again. Repeating: The difference between a fast amateur and a pro is the mental game. (If you don't believe me, watch a Vet Pro gate. That's the one where everybody's "Oh I'm just here for fun," and watch the change in their faces when the cadence starts: Cut steel; inflexible.) Say what you will about technicals skills, and they're critical, but that head game, at the high end, makes the difference.

Now me, I like JRich's work. He writes well - it's very accessible - and he has good insight. Purse, look, pros who've ridden at that level just don't have a lot of time for other people's methods and they're very rigid about it. *shrug* That's how they got to be the pros they are/were in the first place.

Plus if you're going to Worlds, $35 to a mental training thing for a rider who just spent the cheddar to attend, that's petty cash. And, you got your bike tuned up, right equipment, leathers, helmet, gloves, what's $35 to get your head in the game - from someone who's been in the game?

It's not bad, it's just personalities.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: speedkelly, BS

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 01:17 PM

This Space
Respectfully Donated
Stay Strong Stephen Murray