Freestylin book, 2500 copies
Brett Middaugh
post Sep 4 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #101

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,777

I remember that BITD Brett!
It's funny how when freestyle came about, a lot of the core racers were like WTF is this? I think even the OM wasn't into it, but the perseverance of all the freestyle guys through the rough years when no one wanted to touch what we were all doing really showcased what we were all about.
It's sorta funny looking back now, how racing in the beginning overshadowed freestyling and now all these years later it's racing that needs the boost from being known as the other sport called BMX.
I'll cut Greg and the OM some slack though they seem to be good guys.
I also always wonder what would have happened with racing if the sanctions disappeared the same time the AFA did...
then the racers took over.
Man that would have made for a crazy world...LOL

I gotta say I'm totally stoked that 23mag put that online, it was great to read all the stuff in there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Radsters
post Sep 4 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #102

A Pro

Member No.: 6,576

QUOTE (jerry a hutcher @ Sep 4 2008, 03:02 PM) *
downloaded free...printed on photo paper,sheet protected,in a binder..$10.00 ...done...screw $750.00 the person who paid that for this book is retarted.........Very cool book but no way worth that kind of flow..........

Man that is funny. Exactly what I am going to do, but thinking of maybe taking the images to my local business depot and getting them to print the pages and bind them for me. Sort of like a magazine. May cost me $15 or $20, but it will be cool. Hey Nike; I hope you.....nah, they are not worth the typing. Everyone can now enjoy.

+Quote Post
bBoneau
post Sep 8 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #103

Novice

Member No.: 15,427

It took me two days to read this book from the title to the last word of the credits (thanks 23mag). Picking up right where they left off in October 1989, the guys from our beloved FREESTYLIN' drew me in with their creative writing and distinctive photo style one last time!
AJ, Lew and Spike turned many of these guys into heroes for the skills they had on their bikes. I, for one, looked up to nearly anyone that got a picture published in FREESTYLIN' or BMX Action. I always enjoyed reading the interviews and getting to know a little bit about the guys that were living what I considered to be "the dream". The touring, free bikes, magazine coverage, unsupervised anarchy, etc..etc.. was the stuff I would dream about while sitting in school. All grown up now (debatable), it was just as enjoyable to hear what these "heroes" had to say 20 years later.
Looking back, I realize that I was nearly the same age as BMX racing. So in a way, I think that I was growing up right along side of the sport. BMX was my best friend. We've gone through the good times (traveling with friends to the races, trails and contests) and we've gone through the tough times (the 90's). Many kids get involved with sports that are already well established...BMX being one of those now... but many of us got to enjoy and grow with this sport from the beginning. We've got memories of a time in this sport that can never happen again.
I'm rambling on and on, but here's what I think. The guys that created Freestylin' and BMX Action, the guys that were in these magazines, and I would imagine many of you that get on this site, are the clique of friends that didn't exist in my school in the 80's. My best friends in life were the two other guys in my school that rode, my buddies at the tracks and the thousands of other bikers that I had never even met. Freestylers, racers, trail riders and street riders. It was all the same to me, so a new friend could be found at the next bank to wall in any city at any time. I love this sport but I miss that vibe. OK, I'm done now...but I started this post to say one thing...

Thanks FREESTYLIN'.

Now when does the new issue of BMX ACTION come out????

+Quote Post
Brett Middaugh
post Sep 10 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #104

AA Pro

Member No.: 3,777

To paraphrase Ron W.
There will never be another first generation of BMXers.

+Quote Post
boxline69
post Sep 11 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #105

Intermediate

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 13,255

Wold it be worth $290 for this unopened and in the box with all the stickers and bobble head?

+Quote Post
BMX1220
post Sep 29 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #106

Member No.: 17,937

THERE'S ONE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW!
I'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM BEING SOLD, BUT THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I'VE SEEN ACTUALLY
FOR SALE....
HERE'S THE ITEM NUMBER:

LAST I CHECKED, IT HADN'T SOLD YET.......

QUOTE (jerry a hutcher @ Aug 8 2008, 11:07 PM) *
Dans having a contest for the book...does anyone know who's publishing? gotta get a copy...the contest odds dont look to favorable...whare to get one?Not sold in stores...

+Quote Post
wds
post Sep 30 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #107

AA Pro

Member No.: 1,599

So far, I've seen 4 of the books on eBay. I've also seen a few Book/Shoe/Figure box sets or variations of. I haven't tracked those.
The previous 4 books went for around $110, $710, a bit over $300 & $300 in that order.
Be interesting to see if anyone hits the BIN at $550 on that one.
-Bill

+Quote Post
henry
post Oct 3 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #108

Expert

Member No.: 3,814

Dave Voelker just came by my shop and he didn't get a copy of the book. WTF?

+Quote Post
King of Pipeline
post Oct 3 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #109

King of Pipeline

Member No.: 6,179

I didn't get one either, and I should be before Voelker... LOL..

+Quote Post
Jeff V
post Oct 3 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #110

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 46

Dave can't get one??? Crazy. I know a dude that got 3 books on the house!!!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2019 - 09:56 PM