Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kappa "Buff Gusset"
race_inc
post Jul 3 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #11

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
From: Ottawa, IL. ......where Abraham Lincoln debated Stephen A. Douglas for the first time.
Member No.: 1,207

Sorry I no longer own the frame.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Larryboy
post Jul 5 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #12

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,076

Wow am I bummed! Got back from riding with my son today and was cleaning my bike ('04 Kappa Starsky) and saw the underside of the downtube has a huge crack right where my Buff gusset is welded to the downtube. And I don't abuse the frame. Almost stictly flatland and not very often anymore. Definitely no jumps. Some small park riding...dropping in, rolling out, carving, smooth low-to-no impact stuff like that.

So bummed.

+Quote Post
race_inc
post Jul 5 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #13

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
From: Ottawa, IL. ......where Abraham Lincoln debated Stephen A. Douglas for the first time.
Member No.: 1,207

Hey Matt, are you sure it is not just the powdercoat? Scott's powdercoater put that stuff on pretty thick. That happened on a frame of mine, saw a crack and then stripped the powder down to the metal and all was good.

+Quote Post
Larryboy
post Jul 6 2009, 01:08 AM
Post #14

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I thought about that because I could see all kinds of "stress cracks" in the powder shortly after I started riding it. It really looks deep, but you may be right. I just don't know how to check it without messing up the finish. I hate to do that and then need to repowder it to fix THAT. Any ideas?

If you have an idea, just post it and I'll get to it in a week or two. Heading out to the beach tomorrow for a bit.

+Quote Post
pacecar69
post Nov 12 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,438

Anyone know what happened to the Starsky frame with the Buff gusset?

+Quote Post
Larryboy
post Nov 16 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Not sure how many are out there, but I have a twin top tube Starsky with the Buff gusset. Down tube snapped several years ago but about 2 yrs back I had Chip at C4 repair it and refinish the frame and forks I used with it (Haro Megaforks) in candy metal flake purple. I then had a local shop reproduce the vinyl-cut decals from the original Starsky (my son has that one) in yellow. Looks smokin' now. If I knew how to post pictures anymore, I'd put one up. I just threw a headset and stem on it recently to put the frame/fork together, but that's the most I intend to build it up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 06:52 AM