IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Be Advised - We are aware of the database error in some threads and are addressing it (3/21/21)

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is it time to back off the Olympic track thing?
Elvis
post Sep 8 2021, 01:38 PM
Post #31

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (thebondtrader55 @ Sep 7 2021, 07:29 PM) *
E, I'll admit that when this SX thing came along I wondered, as a local/normal track booster, if I wasn't just plain wrong. Was the pure big time spectacle the decades long missing piece?

I think we have a definitive, big enough sample size now to know that The Spectacle was not the missing piece. The Pros probably do need to be protected from themselves. What makes them ultra successful as competitors could be a detriment to rational, result driven analysis. No ones fault - just different interests/skill sets.

I love the one off, big money races independent of sanctioning organizations! But I'm not sure its the best thing here at this time. It's been done many times in auto/motorcycle/boat racing without the desired effect.

Leadership - there's just no replacement for it.

Good visiting with you, my good friend.

Well wait; lots of spectacles out there, first of all, and some take time to be discovered, second, and finally being the thing that catches attention is a hard formula to create -- although BMX did so years ago when the world was different.

My interest in bringing up this topic is safety. Marketing is a whole different issue (and one addressed well by the BMX league thing, while we're talking). In fact another hand-wringing thread on "selling BMX" I'd rather see somewhere else (not that a hand-wringing about big-hill tracks isn't in the same family).

Big tracks are, you have to admit, a chance for the athlete to do more and better. My point being are we endangering them by doing this?

In fact, however, thinking about it -- and arguing against myself -- I've seen pros get mad-jacked on the same tracks ams were racing on. In fact, now that I said that, I have to think starting this thread was so much hang-wringing on my part.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Sep 8 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #32

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,127

QUOTE (Elvis @ Sep 8 2021, 02:38 PM) *
Well wait; lots of spectacles out there, first of all, and some take time to be discovered, second, and finally being the thing that catches attention is a hard formula to create -- although BMX did so years ago when the world was different.

My interest in bringing up this topic is safety. Marketing is a whole different issue (and one addressed well by the BMX league thing, while we're talking). In fact another hand-wringing thread on "selling BMX" I'd rather see somewhere else (not that a hand-wringing about big-hill tracks isn't in the same family).

Big tracks are, you have to admit, a chance for the athlete to do more and better. My point being are we endangering them by doing this?

In fact, however, thinking about it -- and arguing against myself -- I've seen pros get mad-jacked on the same tracks ams were racing on. In fact, now that I said that, I have to think starting this thread was so much hang-wringing on my part.

No, you have a valid point.

I do believe that the marketing/safety are closely related on this.

+Quote Post
BS
post Sep 9 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #33

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

Speakin' of big hills...

+Quote Post
bnd
post Sep 9 2021, 04:01 PM
Post #34

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

Yeah, saw that a day or two ago. Shannon being made out to be a dick. Those guy should of given it more thought like a week or two in advance.

b.

+Quote Post
Elvis
post Sep 22 2021, 01:22 PM
Post #35

Worst moderator ever

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 395

QUOTE (BS @ Sep 9 2021, 03:47 PM) *

I'd be interested in hearing what motivated the "no" vote(s).

+Quote Post
John De Bruin
post Sep 24 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #36

AA Pro

Member No.: 10,298

QUOTE (Elvis @ Sep 22 2021, 07:22 PM) *
I'd be interested in hearing what motivated the "no" vote(s).

My guess would be common sense...putting personal health and safety above something as insignificant as a sport.

I think it's great that he didn't need to give a reason to justify his answer.

+Quote Post
thebondtrader55
post Sep 28 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #37

AA Pro

Member No.: 28,127

It may just be that the big hill thing has (thankfully) run it's course.

At this point, what is the point really?

1. More hazardous for the participants for no reason.

2. Is having little/no effect on participation rates.

3. Much more expensive to build/maintain

4. Contrary to popular opinion, there is such a thing as bad publicity. Concussions, shoulders popped back in place on camera, marbles in a bowl crashes simply aren't helpful.

If there weren't viable alternatives it would be one thing - let's change directions.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2021 - 08:13 AM