Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Plate Rules
MikeCarruth
post Dec 14 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #11

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

My guess is that this one will join those rules that are "on the books" but not really enforced. It's simply too much work to enforce it.

Did anyone get DQ'd this year for not having a side plate installed?

Both of those are rules that SOUND good in a rules meeting, but are not practical to enforce at the races. Until there is a "number plate cop" assigned, and some people are DQ'd from their main event at a national, it won't get much respect.

M
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Dec 17 2018, 02:59 AM
Post #12

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,311

We'll see. I'm starting to design the 2019 plates for Answer, Ssquared, and Jason Carnes' Berm Academy.
I'll go through the suggested email to USABMX for approval route.

My concern, working for Answer, is that we strive to meet the USABMX rule standards; and, as Mike states above, the rules are hard to enforce.

Take side plates for example. The USABMX rule calls for minimum size (2.95" x 4.75"). When having thousands produced we can't take the risk of not meeting this size rule and having to throw thousands of pieces of product away and then make more, but the small run garage companies can make it whatever size they want. A smaller than required size side plate is more aesthetically pleasing, so consumers will be drawn towards purchasing them.

Same goes for the new plate rules. If I'm designing plates for a 30 person team and the plate doesn't meet the rules then we have to remake them, but a company making a couple of plates at a time can take some liberties and make a more visually pleasing plate that might not meet the new rule. Worse yet would be if another TM protested a team's plates and got a score thrown out. Don't laugh, I've seen it happen a ton of times when it comes to jerseys.

Basically, if they are going to make a rule then it should be enforced to make it fair.

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Yesterday, 05:04 AM
Post #13

VBMX Hall Of Famer

I'm already seeing some "non regulation" plate designs that people are touting for 2019 on social media.
When asked about the new rule the reply is, "Who cares?"

Will USABMX DQ folks in Vegas for plates?

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Yesterday, 08:51 AM
Post #14

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

No of the Rules are "too hard" to enforce. They'd just stop announcing someone with a plate that is against the rules and not score them or DNF them. The line at J&R would explode before the 2nd round.

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Today, 12:06 AM
Post #15

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (Bikemonkeys @ Dec 18 2018, 08:51 AM) *
No of the Rules are "too hard" to enforce. They'd just stop announcing someone with a plate that is against the rules and not score them or DNF them. The line at J&R would explode before the 2nd round.

You know I respect your opinions, Billy...BUT:

The national announcer, who is tasked with calling the race, getting the names right on a moto sheet with four #1s on it, AND scoring the race prior, coming at him, is also to be the arbiter of what is and is not a "legal" plate, from a block away, so he can exclude offenders?

Again: Number Plate Cop. It's the only answer. (half-joking, because such a position will never exist)

Best,

M

+Quote Post
FaithBMX
post Today, 02:42 AM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

If the UCI can measure sock height and numbers on jerseys then USABMX can check plates (or do away with the rule).
Do it in bike inspection at nationals.

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Today, 07:01 AM
Post #17

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

There is no more bike inspection

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 07:51 AM