Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Restoration advice
venicedread
post Jan 25 2002, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 581

I was wondering what is the best way to restore a frame?
It has black glossy paint with many original decals.
I would like to remove the badly scraped decals without harming the paint underneath.
I would also like to remove the surface rust that is in small areas and touch them up.
Are there any recomended solvents or tricks of the trade out there?
Thank you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hal
post Jan 25 2002, 03:16 PM
Post #2

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3

As for the decals....use WD-40, apply it liberaly to any lifted corners and or edges and let it soak good. The stickers will come off and leave kind of a snotty residue. Apply more WD-40 to the boogers and wipe them off.

+Quote Post
jasonb
post Jan 25 2002, 03:26 PM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 582

they make some stuff called goo gone....it does the job real well. use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the glue under the sticker and peel it all off and then apply the goo gone to the remains of the sticker and let it work on it for about 5 minutes or so and just wipe it off.

+Quote Post
Ramon a.k.a Bean...
post Jan 25 2002, 03:28 PM
Post #4

VBMX Hall Of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 209

After the decals are off you should really consider having is powder coated black to give you a nice smooth and durable finish.

+Quote Post
Scot McKay
post Jan 25 2002, 04:42 PM
Post #5

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 514

Goo Gone works great, WD-40 smells great (right?).

All good advice...also try to peel the sticker as slowly as possible so as to keep it in one piece as you peel. Working from an entire side rather than a corner assists this effort. Strangely enough, you can also use the back of the removed sticker itself to tack up residue before resorting to Goo Gone or WD-40.

On the paint, I bought Testors paint pens for ~$3 each from the plastic model section at the hobby shop. The gloss black is great, and the white is *BRIGHT* white like most BMX gear. They give you very solid, precise control when touching up chips/scratches even in open areas. The black Testors pen was an amazing asset on my last project which had numerous black parts with normal wear.

While on the subject, here are two other cool resto tricks: I particularly like:

1) Pull all the Allen bolts from stem/seat clamp/whatever, coat them in Naval Jelly to kill rust, then soak 'em in a little cup of Gunk degreaser for a while. Then, rinse them, dry them and get a styrofoam dinner plate. Turn the plate over on some newspaper outside (when it is sunny and winds are calm), and poke the bolts through the plate as shallowly as will hold. Then use *high heat* flat black, gloss black or chrome silver paint and spray a light, even coat on them. Leave them out for a while and then put your parts back together. It seems inconsequential, but it is absolutely amazing how big a difference clean bolts make on the bike. Kind of like eyelashes on women, huh?

2) When applied carefully, 1/4" chrome pinstripe tape (~$3 at Auto Zone) works nicely to cover chips/cracks in chrome finishes at the headtube, crank hanger or seat tube openings. It also prevents the damage from worsening when new cups/races are installed. Not a perfect solution, but it looks much better than "chrome" touch-up paint...and certainly better than the damage itself.

Cheers,

Scot

+Quote Post
retrogeezer
post Jan 25 2002, 05:48 PM
Post #6

A Pro

From: Don't think your an ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey!
Member No.: 420

What the hell is 'Naval Jelly'?????????
Anyone know if you can buy it in the UK?
Or is it just something like Jenolite?
Do I like Question Marks?

+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 25 2002, 09:13 PM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 23

Naval Jelly is this purplish goo, that will take rust off in a jiffy. It comes in a spray bottle, and smells really bad (especially when it is disolving rust!) I use this stuff A LOT, as my restores are rarely withoout rust.

-Jim

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th April 2020 - 04:49 PM