Reply to this topicStart new topic
AMF AVENGER, Near Complete Tribute.
Profiler
post Oct 20 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #1

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 785

So some back story. I was a latchkey kid back in the 70's (though we never really locked our doors). So when I came home from school on my birthday, to an empty house, sitting in the living room was my first "BMX" bike.

Rode the hell out of that thing and even managed to bust the handlebars which my dad had some guys from work weld back together.

Anyway, over the last 5 yrs or so I've collected and restored enough parts to build a near perfect replica. Close as I can get.

To answer some questions, yes, those are new tires. I have the old ones, but they are whipped and replacing that rubber is way too costly. Yes, when they brought it home from an actual bike store (the Cyclery in Edwardsville IL) it had Tuff I's with yellow pinstriping. No, never seen anything like that before or since, but it's true and that's why I added it.

This was a labor of love that I can't wait to show my parents after all these years!

(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/profiler35_2007/PA190340.jpg)

(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/profiler35_2007/PA190343.jpg)

I took the pics in my hallway with that lovely "70's wood panel" atmosphere.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gts340
post Dec 19 2013, 08:59 AM
Post #2

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
From: 10 seconds behind the score of the day in Kingston, IL
Member No.: 6,004

That is a really cool bike! I have never seen one. The stripe in the mags looks great too.
I imagine those are rare?

+Quote Post
Mr. Smith
post Dec 20 2013, 02:15 AM
Post #3

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 6,379

Super nice restoration job.
And I find it amazing how you remember the small details like the pinstripe on the mags.
Quite a unique girder front end too !

Since you don't have any NOS tires on it you have to ride it at least once before it goes on display !

+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 21 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #4

A Pro

Member No.: 6,493

Great build and even better that it has a story behind it.

+Quote Post
Profiler
post Dec 22 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #5

AA Pro

Member No.: 785

Thanks Guys! I drug most of it around for years trying to decide how to proceed. Finally found a local affordable powdercoater to do the frame and the build was on. I really didn't want to spray bomb it for some reason. Then I came across some acceptable repop decals. (One funny note, the headtube decal has the Olney IL address which is a former AMF and recent Roadmaster factory) I know people that worked there way back when, and I've raced the track that was there BITD. Home of the White Squirrels! That's just an odd tidbit.

Yeah, I won't have any problem riding, or letting others ride this one. It could be displayed, but it's not so rare or perfect that it belongs under glass. Just a neat nostalgia piece. I never told either of my parents what I was doing. But when I rolled it out in front of each of them they knew immediately what they were looking at. That was my goal. LOL

Still gotta put a chain on, and see if I even came close to re-installing the C/B right. I also have the og plate which needs some graphics work, and the reflectors and chain guard. After that I'll get some better pics when the sun comes out in a few weeks.

+Quote Post
osrlracer
post Dec 28 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #6

AA Pro

Member No.: 36

SWEEEEEET, such a cool bike/build and story !!!!! that's real !!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 07:30 AM