Reply to this topicStart new topic
I race on flats BUT..., i want to race with clips
bigblock
post Aug 12 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #1

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,154

OK i race cruiser & class on flats - I feel safe and very comfortable, BUT i want to race with clips (like everyone i know) BUT this is my question??? i don't understand how you tighten one pedal and know how to tighten the other so it matches??? - the same tightness- And if i race two bikes , HOW DO YOU MAKE ALL FOUR pedals the same?? or do i just man up and race (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
(IMG:http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u249/1spleen/CLIPS.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BS
post Aug 12 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #2

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

I don't know what brand of pedals you're using but the Shimanos "click" each half turn. You just back them all the way off and then count the number of "clicks". Or you could go the other way, tighten them all the way up and back them off the same number of clicks.

I guess even if they didn't click you could just tighten them the same number of turns.

Oops. I started typing before the picture loaded. Yeah, those are Shimanos. Also, some of them have a little indicator on them that shows what the tension is. I don't know if those (545's?) do.

This post has been edited by BS: Aug 12 2008, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Aug 12 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

that little allen screw that is kinda in the photo at the bottom just above the silver bar in the cage. One way tightens the other loosens there is one for each side.

Clean them, they need to be lubed and clean to work best. Do that before you play with the screw, some dirt might be your problem.

+Quote Post
pabmxer
post Aug 12 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 14,697

Use Time's, they are as tight as you need them with out adjusting at all. They also have the most float so if you twist your legs at all you will not come out of them.

+Quote Post
SquirlySteve
post Aug 12 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #5

A Pro

Member No.: 15,238

I second the TIME Z's. Just put them on your bike, switch to the Time cleat, and clip in. The shimanos have an engagement point that is only a few millimeters wide while the times have two independent springs that have no tension adjustment, they just clip in easy and disengage only when you want to unclip or crash. Believe me from experience, that they function far more effectively than the Shimano's. I spent almost 2 years dragging my bike behind me when I fell and consistently trying to keep the tension dialed using shimano pedals. Now I just click and forget and don't worry about trying to clear the bike or twist my foot out as I hurl through the air at the ground.

+Quote Post
juurdane
post Aug 12 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 13,800

QUOTE (SquirlySteve @ Aug 12 2008, 12:27 PM) *
I second the TIME Z's. Just put them on your bike, switch to the Time cleat, and clip in.

May you please post a picture of your pedals?. Thanks.

JC

+Quote Post
Todd E
post Aug 12 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #7

A Pro

Member No.: 6,869

Bigblock, I use some basic Shimano M515 pedals on my mountain bike and they look to be the same pedal body minus the surrounding cage. Look at your M545 pedals from the side in the area of the allen headed spring tension adjusting screw for a piece of nylon/plastic that is moved back and forth by the adjusting screw. It is sandwiched between the adjusting screw and the springs and is visible from the side. On my pedals the nylon/plastic piece is red and it pushes on the springs to control the tension. What I do is turn the adjusting screw to where the same amount of plastic is visible from the side and I seem to get equal spring tension on each side of both pedals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
superjeer
post Aug 12 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #8

AA Pro
Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
Member No.: 13,187

(IMG:http://www.cyclepath.ca/products/usrimage/time-mtb-z.jpg)

+Quote Post
bigblock
post Aug 12 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #9

A Pro

Member No.: 14,154

I HAVE the Shimano plastic cage clip pedals , i didn't want to spend a lot of money ( and not like them) so i tried them once - but did not like the feel... so i went back to flats. .. it is getting to the end of the year and i am just looking for every -advantage- i can get without riding dirty for a couple extra points.. i think i need to (tighten the clips ALL THE WAY ) and just man up???

BTW . i was told don't tighten to much or you will strip them.

+Quote Post
Bikemonkeys
post Aug 12 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #10

Vet Pro

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,491

i think i need to (tighten the clips ALL THE WAY ) and just man up???

You're not ready for them then.

BTW . i was told don't tighten to much or you will strip them.
Or the spring will lose tension since it's just a metal spring and by tightening them down you're increasing their preload.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 03:21 PM