Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
Jeff Manning
post Apr 2 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #8051

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,082

QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Apr 1 2015, 04:11 AM) *
Manning! Almost two years after I posted that...you're fashionably late.

It's going good. If my life were an NBA race with only enough riders for three motos (and no main), it would be 2-2-1 which I'm eternally grateful for. Probably a top-10 district plate by the end of the year and maybe even a co-sponsor deal with a bike company.

I'm a crappy facebook user, so I don't know much about what old friends are doing. So, how are you?

(I'm wondering if you'll answer this in 2015, or in late 2016?)

I thought only my parents and the women who took race registation remember that I was fashionably late!

Glad to hear back from my favorite all-time factory Penn Cycle, Tremco, Rondo, Tahoe, Levi Strauss, Hush Puppy, and Fruit of the Loom BMX pilot.

Your desciption of life is compelling. Mine? If it were an ABA race with 5 moto's and semi's, I would finish 5th in my semi and have to look forward to the next race to make the mains. Ha Ha

Kidding aside, things are good!

I don't do twitter, facebook, notebook, yourbook,
mybook, everybody'sbook. Not a social networking fiend. Maybe someday.

I know this site is for mutual blogging interests, so I will leave it up to the next guy to get a topic booming.

Sandberg, where did everyone go? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Sandberg
post Apr 7 2015, 11:10 AM
Post #8052

A Pro

Member No.: 3,049

You've outdone yourself by replying so quickly. I'm thankful for that.

You never missed many mains, so if that's where life is at, I have a suspicion that you'll break out for the win at the next race. That was always your style.

I don't know where everyone went, but I suspect it's one of those "books" you listed. Maybe that's what happened to this whole site??? Remember 8 or so years ago, when this place was WFO!?! It was like BMX in the early 1980s...booming.

Maybe we can turn this into our own personal email/text forum?

The seasons of life come and go, bringing change along the way. My boy isn't interested in BMX, so we've disconnected from it. He races MTB and snowmobiles, and he plays Lacrosse. All good and really fun. My daughter is into performance arts (plays, music) so unless I can start combining those at the same venues as BMX tracks, then I will remain a long distance observer.

I'm always gutted by how fast the life zooms by. Time is like you and Sheely sprinting for the inside line of turn one at Richfield: too flippin' fast. Sometimes when BMX memories fill my head, it seems like yesterday and I can almost feel them. Other times it seems like two lifetimes ago and so, so far in the distance that it's barely visible.

Some memories that I hope you can relate to:

-Remember when getting ready on the starting gate, when you were standing on the pedals and you adjusted your foot to that perfect place on the pedals and the crankarm was at the perfect angle for the first stomp, and everything felt perfect? Beautiful.

-Remember when you'd create a new number plate and the excitement you'd feel to show it at the next race?

-Remember how sometimes we'd race in our leathers, and other times in our straight-leg Levi's? I don't remember why, exactly, I would choose one over the other.

-Remember the unbridled thrill of driving to a race while anticipating how great the day was going to be? There wasn't any other place in the world you wanted to be, and you simply couldn't get there fast enough. And when you'd see another car with BMX bikes loaded into the trunk, your heart would race a little faster.

My sincerest thanks to everyone and anyone who made those experiences happen, and to all of us who got to share them. Incredible times they were.

+Quote Post
Jeff Manning
post Jun 21 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #8053

A Pro

QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Apr 7 2015, 05:10 PM) *

The seasons of life come and go, bringing change along the way. My boy isn't interested in BMX, so we've disconnected from it. He races MTB and snowmobiles, and he plays Lacrosse. All good and really fun. My daughter is into performance arts (plays, music) so unless I can start combining those at the same venues as BMX tracks, then I will remain a long distance observer.

I'm always gutted by how fast the life zooms by. Time is like you and Sheely sprinting for the inside line of turn one at Richfield: too flippin' fast. Sometimes when BMX memories fill my head, it seems like yesterday and I can almost feel them. Other times it seems like two lifetimes ago and so, so far in the distance that it's barely visible.

-Remember when getting ready on the starting gate, when you were standing on the pedals and you adjusted your foot to that perfect place on the pedals and the crankarm was at the perfect angle for the first stomp, and everything felt perfect? Beautiful.

-Remember when you'd create a new number plate and the excitement you'd feel to show it at the next race?

-Remember how sometimes we'd race in our leathers, and other times in our straight-leg Levi's? I don't remember why, exactly, I would choose one over the other.

-Remember the unbridled thrill of driving to a race while anticipating how great the day was going to be? There wasn't any other place in the world you wanted to be, and you simply couldn't get there fast enough. And when you'd see another car with BMX bikes loaded into the trunk, your heart would race a little faster.

My sincerest thanks to everyone and anyone who made those experiences happen, and to all of us who got to share them. Incredible times they were.

+Quote Post
Jeff Manning
post Jun 21 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #8054

A Pro

QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Apr 7 2015, 05:10 PM) *
You've outdone yourself by replying so quickly. I'm thankful for that.

You never missed many mains, so if that's where life is at, I have a suspicion that you'll break out for the win at the next race. That was always your style.

I don't know where everyone went, but I suspect it's one of those "books" you listed. Maybe that's what happened to this whole site??? Remember 8 or so years ago, when this place was WFO!?! It was like BMX in the early 1980s...booming.

Yes John, I remember all those experiences. You sure have a memory and a very vivid way of describing things.

Remember cleaning your bike completely the night before a race, just to find out that it seemed like a different bike when you put it all back together. I had to ride around my neighborhood for an hour to convince myself it was the same bike.
or
Not having a master link on your chain so it would eliminate any weak spot. (Mostly psychological) or making sure there was no flat spot on that chain so there was no resistance in your "spinning' technique.

John you mention your son and MTB racing. I see you still ride hard and do awesomely well, as does your son Cal.

My personal forum/e-mail to you. Hope you read this blog soon. Are you going to the Cuyuna Crusher on 6/27-6/28 in the Brianerd Lakes area? If so, I hope to see you up there.

Not so bad. I responded in less than 3 months.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
John Sandberg
post Jun 23 2015, 06:04 AM
Post #8055

A Pro

Member No.: 3,049

Ha, yes I remember the night-before ritual of cleaning the bike. I used to do a bottom bracket overhaul on Friday nights...WTH was I thinking?

On the other hand, that kind of attention gave us an intimate knowledge of our bikes, which is cool.

Yes, Sandbergs will be racing at Cuyuna this weekend. So will Dave C. We'll be there hanging out and fun-riding on Saturday, and racing the Sunday XC. Cal races the Sport class, which starts at 11am. Cushtensen and I race at 1pm. Are you racing (what class)?

I'll be the guy BLASTING Loverboy's Get Lucky album from my car in the parking lot while slamming Rondo soda. I'm pumped that we'll see you, it's been far too long since the last time.

+Quote Post
Rydjors Dark Sid...
post Apr 2 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #8056

A Pro

From: most southern member of the Brotherhood of BMX aka Mark Conley is God club.
Member No.: 8,577

Attached File  tahoe.JPG ( 116.04K ) Number of downloads: 9
back like a bolt out of the Rydjor jersey blue ---yes- looky here at what showed up at my doorstep. Not just a cool vintage '82 cruiser but the very same frame I rode on in 1982 and 1983. Has the same rims, seat post--that's about it. I am quickly finding that buying even 1 spray bombed OG DX pedal with 1/2 thread is outrageous. ha... this is gonna be fun.

+Quote Post

806 Pages V  « < 804 805 806
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 12:42 AM