Reply to this topicStart new topic
40 and over crew in NJ
ANT DOG 3:16
post Oct 28 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #1

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,739

Our group is a dedicated and strong crew. We also realize it is up to the old guys to keep this sport going .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nigelnyc
post Nov 10 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #2

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,423

Just noticed this site is back up! Yea, 40 and overs are well represented especially in that 46-50 intermediate class! I like watching them. But we could have so many more older riders. Alot, pop up watch a race or two and never decide to get back out there. I know the fear of getting hurt is at the forefront but no one actually wants to say that. I am not a psychologist so don't have a concrete answer.

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Nov 12 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #3

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,739

We gotta keep motivating

+Quote Post
nigelnyc
post Nov 13 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #4

A Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (ANT DOG 3:16 @ Nov 13 2019, 12:36 AM) *
We gotta keep motivating

You are right. After thinking about it, I came back at 39 after a 12 year hiatus. I am not going to bore anyone with my personal journey but from experience I would like to give a few tips to those that are planning a comeback in their 40's or 50's.

1) You need to be physically fit...I am not saying you have to be an athletic freak but at a minimum you need to be able to balance on your bike (going in a straight line and over obstacles) and pick up your front wheel a few inches of the ground. If this is challenging to you spend some riding your bike in the street for a few months (maybe even a year!) before hitting the track. Don't expect to go right to the track after not riding a bike for years, it is probably one of the worst things you can do.

2) Wear protection...I have heard the argument that body armor is "restrictive" which in my opinion is BS but to each his own. If that is issue than at the very least wear knee/shin guards and race pants (with raised lettering on the side for added protection), even if you are only going 5 miles an hour around the track, you are not as quick as you used the be if you need to make a split second decision (ex: 7 year old unexpectedly falls in front of you in practice).

3) Don't care what anyone thinks...If you left the sport and you were top 10 expert (or at least thought you were) and believe now you would have trouble keeping up with the novice class, don't worry, just do it! Don't be embarrassed, I think this hinders alot of people and they remain keyboard warriors. Improvement will come over time and with it better health, confidence, better looking skin, lung function, etc., Coming back to racing even with a few dust ups was probably one of my best life decisions. Can't wait for 2020!

Hope this helps those sitting on the fence and would be great if others have anything to add.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2019 - 07:03 AM