Reply to this topicStart new topic
Should there be a Hall of Fame thread?
thebondtrader55
post Jul 13 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #11

AA Pro

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,127

Stumpy may not be seen as a " cool kid" - that counts for a ton in BMX.

It took Billy Griggs forever to get in after less deserving individuals were already there.

And you're right about Veltman -of course he wasn't from California and that hurt him during that era.

Good stuff
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnd
post Jul 13 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #12

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (D_Man @ Jul 14 2018, 03:19 AM) *
IMO it is a hall of fame, not a hall of titles. It’s about overall impact on the sport, not just number crunching.

Glad to see BF make it.

He was one of the last, great all-around riders before racing became a hyper Specialized version of velodrome racing.

It IS the Hall of Titles. The HOF to me means the best of the best in BMX racing period.
Number crunching? So all those titles he won are just numbers??! C'mon man!

I totally agree with your last statement, no problem there.

b.

+Quote Post
K Robison
post Jul 14 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #13

AA Pro

Member No.: 5,176

My opinion is that there are too many people in the Hall of Fame for such a relatively young sport.

Ken

+Quote Post
ANT DOG 3:16
post Jul 17 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #14

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 3,739

A vote for me is a vote for prosperity lol

+Quote Post
MikeCarruth
post Jul 17 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #15

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE (D_Man @ Jul 13 2018, 09:19 PM) *
IMO it is a hall of fame, not a hall of titles. It�€™s about overall impact on the sport, not just number crunching.

You pegged it right there, D_Man. To me, it is about a person's overall impact on the sport.

"Would the sport be as great if this person had never come along?"

That can mean taking riding to a new and different level, doing things in the industry that changed the game or brought the sport to a new level, and yes, for racers, especially, results on the track.

ALL of these nominees meet the test of doing things in the sport that took their respective station to a new level, and I can see clearly that most, if not all, will eventually make it in.

I'll share one of my votes with you. In the Industry category, Bob Morales is a friend, and a great selection. Howie Cohen and Owen Scheppman were important mentors to me, and I voted for both in previous years. Charlie Danishek was a key sponsor and booster of my program in the early days of both of our companies. I have a deep window into how all four of those people made a BIG difference in our sport.

ALL eight nominees made contributions that made this thing of ours a much better place to be, and I have no doubt the remaining seven will get the nod someday soon.

But, this year, I voted for Renny Roker. Why? Because he was earlier than many of the other nominees, AND did something that changed the sport, in a positive way, forever (creating the first BMX World Championships, getting BMX Racing on TV multiple times, in multiple ways, bringing African Americans and Latinos into the sport by creating a team for them when few riders-of-color had a sponsor). People are STILL sharing out that CHiPs episode to this day, and some of the riders he sponsored are involved in the industry to this day, owing to his early actions (Phil Maxwell, Marketing Manager of Box Components, to name just one).

True, Renny had more than a little controversy surrounding him, and I'm sure that affected the decision of many of my fellow voters. But, to me, it does not undo the good he did with those other accomplishments.

Looking forward to the induction ceremony and dinner!

Best,

M

+Quote Post
bnd
post Jul 18 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #16

VBMX Hall Of Famer

Member No.: 51

I guess it’s one of those “agree to disagree” things when it comes to the racer selection. BF was actually 4th on my list in that category.
I voted for Howie. Roker left the sport looking like a scammer and a lot of people were happy to see him out of the sport. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth seeing him try to work his way back into the sport in the 00’s when he still owed money to certain people. Maybe he’s made it right, don’t know but that’s my perception on the guy.

b.

+Quote Post
Bumpy
post Jul 19 2018, 08:01 AM
Post #17

Expert

Member No.: 58,824

QUOTE (K Robison @ Jul 14 2018, 09:47 AM) *
My opinion is that there are too many people in the Hall of Fame for such a relatively young sport.

Ken

Agreed. There really shouldn't be much debate surrounding hall of famer's, otherwise it's a sign that maybe none of them should be there.

You know, Dave jumped those doubles at the '93 state qualifier when no one else had the balls so he totally deserves entry this year.

+Quote Post
Jason_L
post Aug 22 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #18

AA Pro

Member No.: 96

So Bruce... Does this mean you won't be going to the Ceremony then? :-)

+Quote Post
BS
post Sep 6 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #19

The other CA10

Member No.: 3,545

Part 2 of Brian Foster's interview on the BMX in our blood podcast was really good. He almost makes Bruce's case regarding the other Hall of Fame nominees having titles, etc.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2018 - 09:09 AM